Microsoft Shows Windows Running on ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hoo Boy bring it on, Come On MicroSoft, I want my Windows 8 Tables ASAP!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I don't think anyone, ever, has wanted Windows, unless it was necessary to run an existing software base. On Arm, this isn't so, and on tablets, it isn't so. Still, it's always fun to watch Microsoft try to expand outside their monopoly reach, and fail miserably once again. It's tradition.

[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]I don't think anyone, ever, has wanted Windows, unless it was necessary to run an existing software base. On Arm, this isn't so, and on tablets, it isn't so. Still, it's always fun to watch Microsoft try to expand outside their monopoly reach, and fail miserably once again. It's tradition.[/citation]
And why would that software base even exist if it weren't for Microsoft?
You got it backwards, like trying to put the carriage before the horses.
Consider the expansion of iOS on tablet market after it has been on phones for a few years. Same pattern. Nobody wanted tablets before, and now they're crazy about them.
I am not an Apple fan, but I am not blindingly denying their role in the development of the segment.
Try to look up "monopoly" before using it in a sentence; when there are multiple players on the field, that's not a monopoly. Some just play better than others, that's all.
Less hateful trolling (which I guess is tradition, too), and more objective analysis never hurt anyone.

justnice980

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]Looks way more interesting than WP7. Let's hope it's secure and efficient.[/citation]

You should slap yourself for using the terms microsoft and secure in the same sentence. Slap yourself hard.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]I don't think anyone, ever, has wanted Windows, unless it was necessary to run an existing software base...[/citation]
I don't think anyone, ever, has wanted to buy and put gasoline in their car, unless it was necessary to drive anywhere in it.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]justnice980[/nom]You should slap yourself for using the terms microsoft and secure in the same sentence. Slap yourself hard.[/citation]
Better than Apple and security.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]Sorry, I must be missing something... what did you fix?[/citation]I read 4 or 5 times, and I still can't figure out what in the heck he fixed. XD

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hopefully they use this as an opportunity to shed some of the legacy features that only a small amount of users still use. It'll probably be incredibly stable since, on a tablet, you're not working with a ton of 15 year old peripherals that have emulated and sloppy ported drivers.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Intel and AMD is having some competition now that the software giant is moving towards ARM processors. Nvidia suddenly have some chance of survival going with ARM instead of x86.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Compare the usefulness of an iPad, an Android Tablet, and Windows 7. Although personally I won't use ARM for for anything bigger than a phone/media player due to needing x86, I would happily pay the extra $100 to put Windows OS on a tablet. My phone does everything current tablets do and more, it can also make phone calls.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]justnice980[/nom]You should slap yourself for using the terms microsoft and secure in the same sentence. Slap yourself hard.[/citation]

Yep thats why Microsoft totally dominates the corporate world.. due to weak security /end sarcasm. Please use your brain before issuing a statement, it should not be hard to add one and one!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]I don't think anyone, ever, has wanted Windows, unless it was necessary to run an existing software base. On Arm, this isn't so, and on tablets, it isn't so. Still, it's always fun to watch Microsoft try to expand outside their monopoly reach, and fail miserably once again. It's tradition.[/citation]
Broad sweeping generalisation time!
Some people just prefer it.
What you mean to say is that you don't like it and you can't understand why anyone else would either.
It's just all me, me, me, me, me.

People will be buying Android tablets, hooking them up to a PC and then installing Windows 8 on them, just because they can.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]People will be buying Android tablets, hooking them up to a PC and then installing Windows 8 on them, just because they can.[/citation]
Agreed!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]Intel and AMD is having some competition now that the software giant is moving towards ARM processors. Nvidia suddenly have some chance of survival going with ARM instead of x86.[/citation]

Or it could end up proving arm is sufficient to phones and the like but seriously lacking in any area where some real computational power is needed due to its risc like instruction set that seriously hiders efficiency when doing anything but mundane things!

Status
Not open for further replies.