Microsoft Sticks to 'Do Not Track' Plans for IE in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakes69

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I'm inching toward using IE from here on out. I been using Firefox for the last 10+ year...it just keeps getting worse with each latest update. Keeps freezing on several different computers. Chrome...not a big fan of anything Google.

tbouncert

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]IE 7, 8 AND 9 should of have that,Epic fail M$[/citation]

IE9 had it...

In December 2010, Microsoft announced support for the DNT mechanism in its Internet Explorer 9 web browser. Followed by Mozilla's Firefox, Apple's Safari, and Opera all later added support. It is not currently supported by Google Chrome, but will be incorporated into it by the end of 2012."

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jakes69[/nom]I'm inching toward using IE from here on out. I been using Firefox for the last 10+ year...it just keeps getting worse with each latest update. Keeps freezing on several different computers. Chrome...not a big fan of anything Google.[/citation]

Last time my FF crashed would be like months ago. Idk what you are talking about, sure newer FF arent much better than older ones but they havent failed me.

[citation][nom]jakes69[/nom]I'm inching toward using IE from here on out. I been using Firefox for the last 10+ year...it just keeps getting worse with each latest update. Keeps freezing on several different computers. Chrome...not a big fan of anything Google.[/citation]
They are not updates, but beta versions.

BTW, what is your latest version that u are using?

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I am surprised the advertising industry didn't convince Microsoft to change. That's okay with me.[/citation]

I'm guessing because Microsoft doesn't have nearly as big of a dog in the Ad revenue fight as others *cough* Google *cough* which makes up 97% of there income. Even though IE is sitting below 50% world wide usage, I wonder whether or not this could impact Google's revenues in the slightest as the years go by and usage rises.

I'm curious if the DNT will affect Google at all or if that's just an overstatement, but it would explain why Google doesn't want, but NEEDS to get out of almost all revenue streaming from advertisements.

ClarenceL

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
It's a pretty strategic move, Google counts on tracking for its revenue, Microsoft too but not so much. Both will take a hit but Google is going to be the bigger loser, and Google's privacy stance is pretty suspicious anyways so the public will side with MS.

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Will that be default for all IE upgrades to 10 on any OS? or exclusive to windows 8?[/citation]
IE10 is for win8 only. We will not see it for Vista/7 just like IE9 did not make it for XP.

The only way I am moving over to IE again is if it gives me multi PC support like Goodle and FF offer. Once you get use to your browsing history, favorites, plugins, and settings moving with you from machine to machine then there is no going back. The ironic thing to me is that they could easily sync such things through skydrive like they do with win8 settings...
IE9 is not a bad browser (like it's predecessors), it merely lacks the features that most of us want, and unless those make it into IE10/11 then they will continue to loose market share.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
What's up with some of the comments?

Advertising agencies did ask Microsoft to change their mind when they said they were going have this enabled by default. And now that this is confirmed, I believe the point of DNT is effectively rendered useless, thus weakening users' privacy. I'm waiting to read news about big ad agencies stopping to honor DNT.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]The only way I am moving over to IE again is if it gives me multi PC support like Goodle and FF offer. Once you get use to your browsing history, favorites, plugins, and settings moving with you from machine to machine then there is no going back. The ironic thing to me is that they could easily sync such things through skydrive like they do with win8 settings...IE9 is not a bad browser (like it's predecessors), it merely lacks the features that most of us want, and unless those make it into IE10/11 then they will continue to loose market share.[/citation]

good way for your pr0n links to end up on your work PC - bad idea.

tbouncert

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]IE10 is for win8 only. We will not see it for Vista/7 just like IE9 did not make it for XP.[/citation]

IE10 Will be for Windows 7 and 8

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]kaisellgren[/nom]What's up with some of the comments?Advertising agencies did ask Microsoft to change their mind when they said they were going have this enabled by default. And now that this is confirmed, I believe the point of DNT is effectively rendered useless, thus weakening users' privacy. I'm waiting to read news about big ad agencies stopping to honor DNT.[/citation]

Thus leaving the ad agencies as the bad guy; this is an excellent, albeit pointless, source of good PR.

as an aside, the adblock argument is beaten to death, but if you are running an updated ie9/chrome/ff the only point in running adblock is to "stick it to the man" (or laptop battery life); legitimate websites depend on ad revenue. For the nefarious/questionable lot, you should be running sandboxed.

And just to tack on an unrelated comment: What happened to innovation and moving forward? appreciation of new technology? Most "techies", anymore, are just people who enjoy spending time on the internet.

Objectivity should be your goal, not this, "ick you use ie?" attitude based on ten year old information.

Yeah, great... Meaning that the ad industry will consider that one major browser maker went back on its word, and they will thus stop respecting the DNT header, sticking it up to all the users.

Making it useless.

At best, they will respect it only for non-IE browsers, and Microsoft will then point at the ad industries as the "bad guys" while they themselves were the cause of it.

For those saying Microsoft doesn't rely so much on advertising, I'll point you to: Windows Live Messenger constant adverts, Hotmail's constant adverts, the future Office 365 Lite's funding through advertising, and its own Live Search engine. They may keep enforcing DNT, and then build an argument by saying "see? We respect DNT while Google etc. don't".

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Google got nailed for circumventing browser security settings..... Either way, disable 3rd party cookies and you won't get tracked anyway (except by Google who managed to work around this in Safari). Just don't try to use Facebook...

tbouncert

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]mitch074[/nom]Yeah, great... Meaning that the ad industry will consider that one major browser maker went back on its word, and they will thus stop respecting the DNT header, sticking it up to all the users.Making it useless.At best, they will respect it only for non-IE browsers, and Microsoft will then point at the ad industries as the "bad guys" while they themselves were the cause of it.For those saying Microsoft doesn't rely so much on advertising, I'll point you to: Windows Live Messenger constant adverts, Hotmail's constant adverts, the future Office 365 Lite's funding through advertising, and its own Live Search engine. They may keep enforcing DNT, and then build an argument by saying "see? We respect DNT while Google etc. don't".[/citation]

You realize that all the browsers have this feature right? (excluding Chrome for the time being)

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I am surprised the advertising industry didn't convince Microsoft to change. That's okay with me.[/citation]
advertisers didn't pony up with the exorbitant kick backs per click deal microsoft wanted from them.
until microsoft gets that deal tracking is off. a simple patch thru windows update can change all this at any time should the ad industry decide to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.