Microsoft Sued Over Windows 8 Live Tiles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... it would be nice, if windows 8 returned to the classic desktop because of this... i can dream, can i?[/citation]
It has classic desktop, what`s not classic is the start menu, but of course let`s cry again about a menu.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I like how they wait til Windows 8 is launched and THEN they want to file this frivolous lawsuit. I bet their CEO was praying "Please God, don't let Microsoft scrap Windows 8...I'm so tired of living in my mom's basement and catching the bus to work"

brandonvi

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]as a result windows 9 will not have any live tiles.[/citation]
god i pray your right

hopefully surfcast will win so much that windows 8 will eather have to be patced quick to remove it or atleast maybe windows 9 will not have it

Thank you Surfcast (even if i have never seen anything about you before in my life lol)

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Seems odd Microsoft programs make an appearance in their patent. Couldn't they have come up with some generic place holder? Go get them Microsoft.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I hope Microsoft wins this case and that similar cases against any/all parties are as easily put to bed. I'm tired of patent trolls, unfortunately, I don't see laws changing fix that soon. Instead, I think it will take a wave of precedents where patent trolls are defeated so they can be cited and at the very least have some sort of defacto standards put in place.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I might be completely off, but I would guess that the MS patent does not speak of MS servers, or any real servers at all, but rather about OS services and their back / front -ends. For example Direct3D -server ( GPU, drivers/ ), and client ( /drivers, Direct3D API ).

Another day, another shitty software patent.

geost91gr

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
This is just silly... plus the fact that the Metro UI style has been known for months. Oh, I forgot, they wouldn't get any money if they sued Microsoft before Windows 8 release. Some doctor should check all these patent-freaks..

here is where it needs to be mentioned that MS is probably the only company more litigious than Apple. I think this company doesn't stand a chance and will either lose badly, or simply be purchased by MS.

The reason why you do not think of MS as being a company that is patent crazy is because MS will contact the company in question, show them that they have the patent, and then make a patent licence offer at the relatively reasonable price before taking them to court over anything. Most of the time this works great, and the courts never need be involved. That is what I like about MS. They are a big company, and they act like a big company, but the realize they are not the ONLY company in existence, and are more than willing to work with others rather than shutting them down entirely.
Contrast that to apple who is constantly in lawsuits against google and google related products in order to lock them up or shut them down. Meanwhile MS simply submits their patents to google, comes up with an agreement, and makes some $20-30 off of every Android device sold. People think that MS is behind in the smartphone game, but the reality is that they have simply set themselves up in a position where they cannot lose. If Android stays the king of the hill... MS makes money, with no need to support any of the devices... just free money. If WP8 makes it big then MS gets more money... but with the liability of having customers to support.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
for everyone crying like a little baby about the damn start button please feel free to visit the stardock website and for 5 dollars you can have your start button back

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
These were the very first apps to be deleted from my Windows 8 install as soon as they started winking at me. What a mess of an OS...

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Software patents are a miserably bad idea. One should be permitted to copyright human-readable source codes, but that's about it. Having a legal basis for suing over the way a list bounces at the end of a scroll or the way an icon periodically changes its text is bad for everyone.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
People are asking what took so long since there was a Win 8 release preview, customer preview, and so on... But I'm asking why was there no problem 2 YEARS ago when live tiles were introduced on Windows Phone 7? I didn't hear these patent trolls crying about it back then.

G

the website looks like a 2 year old created it.

They have been a business for 22 years, havn't made one product. May you rott in hell, and get raped in prison Rapecast.

Douchbags to the max.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]as a result windows 9 will not have any live tiles.[/citation]
The first good thing to ever come out of a lawsuit...

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I just wish Microsoft had made the Windows 8 live tiles disabled by default upon fresh install, with the option of enabling them. Anything that sucks bandwidth without my permission I consider an invasion of privacy.

G

You know, windows 8 has been out in open beta, for how long, and they are barely getting to the squabbling? Sue happy people, should die for one, but why not say to whom ever, We would like to work with you, since your 'live tiles' look similar to our tech. Yes I know Microsoft is a big company with many dollars at hand, so instead of working together, we'll act like kiddies and tell our mommy on you

Status
Not open for further replies.