Microsoft: Support Ends For Windows XP in One Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Yeah, I agree. Most companies still using Windows XP are going to move to Windows 7.

I work for a University, and while we do buy and test every version of Windows that comes out, usually it is rare for us to migrate the entire campus to a every new version of Windows that comes out.

We obviously used Win XP forever, but we skipped over Vista due to compatibility and stability concerns.

At the moment we are nearly done with our Windows 7 deployment, but it looks like we are going to be skipping over Windows 8. Windows 8 is different enough from previous version of Windows that we will have to offer a wide range of training classes. And we don't want to pay to create and run these training classes in the mists of budget cuts.

Side note, but we've bought and migrated all of our Mac users on campus to every new version of Mac OS X that has been released since 10.4. The operating system changes so little between each version, the cost is so low, and compatibility has never been a concern. Though I will say Apple's switch from PPC to Intel 7-8 years ago caused great havoc.

hannibal

Distinguished
It depends on... Win 7 has support "only" to 2020, so those firms that avoid upgrading as long as possible can actually co go for win 8.1 or something like that, so that they don't have up upgrade for the next 20 years...

TinkerTailor

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I would like to see a graph of Botnet growth after support for XP ends. I expect it will be unprecedented. On a semi-related note, I wonder if a lawyer could bring a class action lawsuit on behalf of DDOS-attacked companies against Microsoft for negligence as it seems completely foreseeable that unsupported systems would be used by hackers. Too many proof problems, I expect.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Goodbye XP, you have been a true friend. Your age is starting to show, but you did your best despite being slow and full of holes.

I just get tired of saying goodbye. Be gone already!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

As microsoft has made this public knowledge for over 10 years, I don't see how any kind of lawsuit could be filed against them. Realistically, you purchased an operating system software on a disc, the software will continue to work just as you bought it for a long long time.

It's more likely that they invent a reverse class action lawsuit for the companies that get ddosed by the botnets to reclaim damages from all the unsuspecting owners of the pc's.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Microsoft ended support back in 2010. They had to extend support because 90% of XP users called their bluff. Each year since, Microsoft has been threatening to cut off support for good. So yes, we have all seen these threats before. What's funny is that they think that everyone is going to put down XP and pick up 8. That will not happen. We might be witnessing the emergence of Linux distro's as mainstream OS options.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Ever since Windows Vista came out, Microsoft kept announcing the end of support for Windows XP. But then they kept extending it. Unless Microsoft releases a new OS that addresses the design shortcomings of Windows 8, they may have to extend the support for Windows 7 as well.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
It is a shame as a lot of companies are still on XP and moving to the current Windows OS, Win8, is not a viable option.

Hopefully 8.1 (Blue) will have what companies need. Unfortunately most places wait a year after release before deploying it. Hopefully MS can deliver a rock solid enterprise friendly alternative to Win8.

Otherwise everyone will have to go to an 'obsolete' OS. Win7. And by obsolete I only mean older.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
You mean support hasn't already ended? I moved to WIN 7 quite a while ago, skipping Vista, and have no inclination to move to 8 until forced to.

MisterZ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
I used XP for about 11 years, from the day it went RTM in 2001, until the latter half of 2012, when I finally upgraded to Windows 7.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

I know, just like MS abandoned all those Windows 98 people and got sued because of all the computers that got attacked. MS can't be sued for cutting support for an OS when they have been announcing the impending cut for years and even EXTENDED support on it already just to make people happy.

Icecweam7

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
For over 10 years us consumers have looked at the XP logo sideways (crossed eyes with tongue sticking out) as a way of telling Micro$oft to stop giving us new and many times unnecessary, expensive OS upgrades. Looks like the time has come to go to Windows 8. No wait, I mean Windows 7! XP

016ive

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I don't think that people who still uses XP will upgrade to Win 8! the most likely scenario is that they will run vista/Win 7 :) . On a side note people still have outdated hardware so it's likely they will continue to run XP .

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Nice move MS, with worst PC sales decrease in 20 years because your new OS su** so bad, it is about time to drop the system keeping you relevant!

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Nice move MS, with worst PC sales decrease in 20 years because your new OS su** so bad, it is about time to drop the system keeping you relevant!

hannibal

Distinguished

Well, actually the support for WinXP was must because old corporate programs did not run in Vista, or Win7, or Win8... (nor they do not run even today...) So there was a forsing reason to extend the support. Now every program that runs on win7, will run allso in Vista or Win8, so there is not any particular reason why they should extend the support... Ofcourse many people just don't like win8, but that most propably is not a reason big enough for MS.

I don't think that people who still uses XP will upgrade to Win 8! the most likely scenario is that they will run vista/Win 7 :) . On a side note people still have outdated hardware so it's likely they will continue to run XP .

Yep, those with old hardware will keep on using XP, no matter if there is a support or not ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS