Question Microsoft Surface Go Type Cover problem ?

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
2 brand new type covers, 1 used type cover, and 1 refurbished type cover all do not work.

Type covers work sporadically. In a cool environment they work ok, cutting out only once in a great while. Now that summer is here they work less, sometimes for days at a time only to sporadically work for a couple seconds and then stop working again.

Same thing happens in UEFI mode.

I've tried cleaning with ispopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab, trying to get every last bit of dirt out of the place where the type cover(s) connect. This hasn't changed anything. The problem is still the same.

It seems to me now that it's the tablet and not the type covers.

Just for kicks I'm going to do a clean reset even though I don't think it will help seeing how it also doesn't work in UEFI mode.

I should have tried to get the tablet fixed back when it was still under extended waranty in December. But the problem had mostly gone away since it had started in the fall. Now the problem is back and the waranty is expired. I bought this type cover with an extended waranty just in case, but after getting a repaired type cover back today I'm still having the same problem.

Is there anything else that I can do?
Where or how could I get this fixed and would it be worth it?

Microsoft quotes are $249 for repairing this tablet:
How much does out-of-warranty service cost for your Surface device or accessory?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-much-does-out-of-warranty-service-cost-for-your-surface-device-or-accessory

This is the original Surface GO 128GB and is not getting the Windows 11 upgrade.

Shoud I pay Microsoft $249 for repairing the tablet?
Should I go with someone else and whom?
Or would it be better to use the money for something else?

Thanks for any help, comments or even critisim!

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Weird. I haven't gotten my Surface Go back yet, but now I can't find it in my Microsoft Account under Devices. But instead there's a Surface Go 2 there... Did I just get an upgrade? I guess I'll find out. Maybe this isn't so bad after all!