Microsoft Surface Price Could Drop 38% in Two Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I don't know that these are at all directly comparable.

The Playbook had no change from the start. At least Microsoft has the power of tens of millions of devices with Windows 8 on them, all using the same app store, to help force interest from developers.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Even if they drop the price by 38% I'm still not buying one. The Rt tablet is not worth the money, for the same price I can get a decent touch screen notebook for the same price with better spec's, and if they do cut the price by 38%, where does the loss in profit come from, do they reduce production cost or do they make up the losses is their app store.

I was kicking myself for missing the firesale on the HP Touchpad, but since it doesn't look like you can install Android or Linux on the Surface, I don't see it hitting a price I'd actually pay anytime soon...

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
these analysts have their heads up in their a$$. I was at best buy the other day and people were asking for it a lot, except u cant get it there. (best buy canada)

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]and if they do cut the price by 38%, where does the loss in profit come from, do they reduce production cost or do they make up the losses is their app store.[/citation]
They don't. The loss is an investment towards culminating a better ecosystem for RT (more users, incentive for developers to produce apps, etc.), and setting a higher bar for partners to follow with their hardware design. Either way, the loss is something MSFT's war chest can absorb.

G

Just surfaced dead in he water, and stinking up the shore, by the millions the seagulls and flys are having a feast! M$ get that mess off of the desktop!

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
not a big fan on win8, its very kiddy like os, it came on a laptop i got for my parents.

I cannot imagine any serious business user using win8.

G

Funny. Microsoft said they were increasing production of the surface. Why would they do that if a) sales are bad. and, b) they would just discount the device in a couple of months. Doesn't make much business sense..but then again the author writes blogs for a living.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]Even if they drop the price by 38% I'm still not buying one. The Rt tablet is not worth the money, for the same price I can get a decent touch screen notebook for the same price with better spec's, and if they do cut the price by 38%, where does the loss in profit come from, do they reduce production cost or do they make up the losses is their app store.[/citation]

I believe the stores would be the ones taking losses primarily; Microsoft's losses would come from inventory they already built that stores didn't buy at the original price, and refuse to buy without incentives. The discounts on the playbook were from over-production, once they hit those levels of discount they were essentially just trying to get rid of the ones they had, and weren't mass producing anymore.

[citation][nom]djscribbles[/nom]I believe the stores would be the ones taking losses primarily; Microsoft's losses would come from inventory they already built that stores didn't buy at the original price, and refuse to buy without incentives. The discounts on the playbook were from over-production, once they hit those levels of discount they were essentially just trying to get rid of the ones they had, and weren't mass producing anymore.[/citation]
And atm, there is a big demand for these touch devices, at least from other vendors, so now that they are selling in stores, their true value will become known.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I don't think this will happen. Maybe we'll see a small price drop when Pro is release, but Microsoft can't really make a deep cut without seriously damaging their relationship with their hardware vendors (Asus, Toshiba, etc). They definitely can't sell it at anywhere near a loss.

G

I'm buying an RT. As an IT professional, all I need is a stripped-down tablet OS that can launch Citrix and web-based applications. Not concerned with legacy apps, multiple operating systems, or mass storage, this unit is going to allow me to be productive yet leverage all of my cloud-based entertainment services.

Supporting Microsoft on this one. They had to play the hardware angle and the CNET user reviews for this device are stellar. The media is on a witchhunt to keep MS down.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
They should have released the pro version first. Compatibility with all of your x86 stuff is the main market separator that would distinct them from apple and android.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Plus Microsoft should have let the user choose whether to "start button" or "metro". I figure if they would have did both of these thing, the folks using the surface pro would have actually opted for metro.

I read Ipsos conducted a poll for Thomson Reuters and of the people looking to buy a tablet only 4% were interesting the the Surface. That is that in a nut shell. I believe the Surface is a only being sold thru the MS stores so MS would take the hit on a price drop. If they want a chance to make the product a success they need to offer it thru more resellers. The advertising has been poorly done they should demand a refund on their 1.5 billion. On something so new they need to talk about the features and the benefits the Surface and give the customer. Not show a bunch of dancing tablets, that is lame.

G

Tablet + Crappy Keyboard = Netbook with touchscreen

The kickstand really puts it over the top, which basically makes it unusable on your lap, so all of the inconvenience of having to sit at a desk to use it as if it were a desktop PC with the tiny netbook keyboard and screen. Then there's the various software issues of Windows 8, which of course will be fixed in the next few service packs released between now and 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.