Additional Surface Pen—$49.99
Additional 36W Power Supply—$79.99
Additional Pen Loop—$4.99
Docking Station for Surface Pro 3—$199.99
Surface Ethernet Adapter—$39.99

Lazze

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
who needs a Surface before Windows has managed the DPI problems in desktop mode? If you only intend to run in metro mode, buy an RT - else wait.... or get a MBA with an OS the handles the resolution.

stevozilik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed by this review to be honest.

First you get fundamental facts wrong - Surface Pro 2 weight is 907g which makes the new one lighter and thus potentially easier to use as tablet.

Most of the article is complaining (about mostly secondary issues like how it's sold or that you don't know the batter capacity yet) even though you also say "experience is wonderful when you have all the necessary accessories".

What is the overall result - is a good device/bad device. That's what I want to know, not your opinions about how Microsoft should me selling the accessories and XBox

Ghoul

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

First you get fundamental facts wrong - Surface Pro 2 weight is 907g which makes the new one lighter and thus potentially easier to use as tablet.

Most of the article is complaining (about mostly secondary issues like how it's sold or that you don't know the batter capacity yet) even though you also say "experience is wonderful when you have all the necessary accessories".

What is the overall result - is a good device/bad device. That's what I want to know, not your opinions about how Microsoft should me selling the accessories and XBox

Indeed. Mediocre article

For that much money, it should include the keyboard.

Jane, can you tell us how hot the tablet gets while you're doing the additional battery testing? I'm wondering if there will be a real hot spot especially on the i7.

These tablets seem really great, but when I can buy a new i3 laptop for $300 and some change or pay $800 for this new tablet, I'll probably go for the laptop. I do like where they're heading with these tablets though.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I don't care how many magnets the TypeCover has in it, there's no way it's worth $130. That's more expensive than my backlit mechanical keyboard which has way higher build quality than this piece of felt. $40 max - consumers revolt or else the price gouge continues.

heygeo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

really not a review, more of an "at a glance", but in defense of Jane, Microsoft is trying to convince us that this device can replace both a laptop and a tablet, this opens them up to be compared against both... heavier than an ipad air, lack of included keyboard vs ultrabooks... personally i like it but until its thinner\lighter than a pure tablet and is comparably priced to a touch screen ultrabook it should be called out.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Magnesium is not stronger than aluminum, but it is lighter. I seriously doubt this is made of pure magnesium though. It is most likely an aluminum/magnesium alloy, which is an alloy that is gaining a lot of ground lately in many different fields (including assault rifles).

stevozilik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
really not a review, more of an "at a glance", but in defense of Jane, Microsoft is trying to convince us that this device can replace both a laptop and a tablet, this opens them up to be compared against both... heavier than an ipad air, lack of included keyboard vs ultrabooks... personally i like it but until its thinner\lighter than a pure tablet and is comparably priced to a touch screen ultrabook it should be called out.

While I do agree with you in theory, I had the opportunity to try Surface Pro 2 and like it much more than any ultrabook or tablet, because its more compact than ultrabook and can be a tablet, as long as you work around the 800g (and is far more powerful than most tablets). Of course IPad Air is one or two levels better in terms of handling, but for me it's just a toy. Surface with docking station replaces desktop.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I had the opportunity to try Surface Pro 2 and like it much more than any ultrabook or tablet, because its more compact than ultrabook and can be a tablet, as long as you work around the 800g (and is far more powerful than most tablets). Of course IPad Air is one or two levels better in terms of handling, but for me it's just a toy. Surface with docking station replaces desktop.
The docking station really makes these things shine, IMO. Unless you game, with the dock and the Type Cover you can replace THREE devices - tablet, ultrabook, and desktop.

Of course for me, I need a gaming rig so... a cheaper tablet will have to suffice. I'm curious to see if any tablet makers will produce a decent Mullins-based tablet. A lot of them are taking money from Intel's "development fund" so it's a no-go in those cases.

Arif Nur Rahman

Reputable
May 21, 2014
it's hard to combine tablet and laptop. it's a totally different functionality. laptop can do a lot of stuff to support our work. when tablet is just OK or Enough to support our work, but because of its lightness, we can use tablet with holding it with one hand when in public trans, or when in bed or couch, playing simple game that usually available for tablet, and social networking. It's simpler and lighter.
This surface is not a tablet because it's heavy... And we must buy additional accessories to make it work as a proper laptop

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

Indeed. Mediocre article

Sorry you guys didn't like the first impressions but they are just that, first impressions. Can't get a review together in under a day! (I wish!)

stevozilik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Sorry you guys didn't like the first impressions but they are just that, first impressions. Can't get a review together in under a day! (I wish!)

I like your writing style, it's definitely an interesting reading. I think is the overall pessimistic tone in the article that put me off.

I consider Surface Pro 2 a great device that works well as desktop, laptop or tablet. It does not match the best desktop (cannot do serious gaming), best laptop (the keyboard isn't fantastic) or best tablet (it's not as light), but it works really well in any of those roles. That's what the discussion should be in my opinion. Looking at the specs, MS has closed the gap on all fronts - added Horse Power, made it thinner and lighter and improved on the keyboard/touchpad experience. Plus they added a well received feature - the pen integration. All in all, I think they do deserve credit for what they improved in just 6 months, and I do not see enough of that.

While most people will agree with you on the pricing, I think it would make sense to split it out and comment on it separately, not to mix it with the actual device. I.e. Say it's a great/good/bad device full stop - we love/like/hate it. Now when it comes to pricing, this is what we think...

PS: Battery specs were available from yesterday on MS Surface Pro 3 page. Also negative comments on behalf on 3:2 ratio - "We don't know about that" - if not sure, why make it sound negative? It's a fact that it gives more content, what's the downside?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Sorry Jane, I am usually the first to leap to your defence when people are dissing your articles and it's nice that this is just a quick hands on, but there is too much negativity towards things that aren't even relevant. So it doesn't have a keyboard included, so what, the cost might seem high when package so let's do that - please can we compare against what is clearly in its sights - the 13" Macbook Air.

Starts at $999, same specs as the i5 Surface Pro 3 at the same price.

Then take into account the MBA can't convert to a tablet. The extra cost for the keyboard is acceptable to me as a premium feature to convert from ultrabook to tablet, as well as being thinner (average) and lighter.

JerrySm59611183

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Agreed there is a pessimistic tone to the article. Very disappointed with tomshardware. I think I'll check out AnandTech's review of the surface.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Too big, too heavy and too damn expensive -> fails as Tablet not to mention Windows 8 UI which is not even good for touch in my opinion.

Screen is too small, too pricey and again unusable Windows 8 -> so it fails as Laptop.

$2000 for top model -> MS must be out of their mind considering that it has pile of crap Intel video chip in it with less powerful i7 than Surface 2 (if i am not mistaken).

So really nothing impressive about it therefore i agree with Toms Hardware tone on it.

I am not being troll but that is just reality...and if you don't see it...you are just blind MS fanboy.

ZERO calls from customers asking about this product, the only buzz seems to be from MS homers and the media. Everyone else is like "Yawn, so what, did you hear about the new iPhone?". Not the reaction you'd expect for a "Hot" product. I think MS is stuck with the perception we can a desktop computer in a tablet and based on customer's buying habits, so far they are wrong.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Anand has had one of these just as long as the guys at Toms, here is a hands-on done right

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8037/microsoft-surface-pro-3-hands-on-display-performance-preview

Are you picking on Tom's? Back under your bridge, troll
Yes, I am picking on Toms because the article is littered with snide comments and obvious bias. Toms is a big boy and more than capable of defending itself, unfortunately bad journalism is much harder to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.