Microsoft: Tablets Will Outsell Desktop PCs in 2013

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If they are counting touchscreen laptops/ultrabooks as tablets then sure they are going to outsell desktops. I wouldn't be surprised to find that tablets are already outselling desktops. Who buys a desktop nowadays anyway except us enthusiasts / gamers? All the non-techie people I know just use laptops.

obsama1

Distinguished
PC's will outsell tablets. They're more powerful, easier to upgrade, etc. Tablets are great for browsing the web, but typing on a tablet is so painful! If you type a long email, it's excruciating! The only tablets that will sell are the Transformer-type tablets. I would actually consider that vs a laptop. At this point, it is all speculation. We'll have to see how the market (a.k.a average consumers) react.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Microsoft just screwed every PC hardware partner out there.[/citation]
Microsoft's so called hardware partners have been screwing Microsoft by actively uptaking Android to compete in the shitty cheap plastic tablet sector and producing expensive shitty Windows products. Future hardware plans for Windows 8 included another slew of identical shitty tablets that all look the same and will do nothing to improve matters.
If it was your business, what would you do? You would say "f**k them, i'll do it myself and i'll do it better", well that's what they have done and if the hardware vendors don't pull themselves up by the bootstraps they will be left behind by Apple, Google and Microsoft as the old giants like Dell and HP whither and die the way they seem to have been prepared to let Microsoft do.
Microsoft got the first punch in, it was a fair fight, the old OEMs need to up their game if they want to stay relevent.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I agree with damianrobertjones... If you are rocking at least a Core 2 with 4ish gigs of RAM, you need not upgrade at this point: only maintain...I have a Q6600... Even with my gaming needs, I am ok for now. I don't know anyone who replaced their Core 2 based laptops because of speed, especially when shown what an SSD can do. They only junk them because the PCB fails, and it isn't worth replacing the Mobo...A $350 laptop is more than enough for most people. Not everyone has a tablet yet, so those will be in demand in excess of desktops and lappys.[/citation]part of the damn reason is Microsoft are being lazy, they did not make full use of the available hardware resources to make their OS more intelligent.

I still need to click and drag scroll everything myself. Where is a build-in voice assistant for windows?

nbraybrook

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Tablets will definitely outsell desktops.... Just not windows 8 tablets... LOL, they will fail horribly just like windows 8...

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]part of the damn reason is Microsoft are being lazy, they did not make full use of the available hardware resources to make their OS more intelligent. I still need to click and drag scroll everything myself. Where is a build-in voice assistant for windows?[/citation]
we murdered bob a long time ago... he is never coming back!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]demarest[/nom]I ran 98 long past its shelf life. Not until Windows 7 was I as enthusiastic about my operating system. I've made a lot of decisions since then to help make sure I'll be able to use W7 long past its shelf life. It might be another 10 years before they get it right again.[/citation]
Ouch.... I understand your point. I moved to XP in 2003~04 after SP2. Stability and taking advantage of newer hardware was the main reason. ie: I built an XP computer with the same specs as my own PC and it ran faster, etc.

@ back_by_demand
Microsoft got the first punch in, it was a fair fight, the old OEMs need to up their game if they want to stay relevent. Microsoft's so called hardware partners have been screwing Microsoft by actively uptaking Android
Uh... so you are saying for the past few years, Microsoft has had a mobile tablet OS available that nobody cared to use? OMG!! Please provide the link or info that shows such a product.

Somehow you expect a $1200~1500 slate/tablet to compare to $400~600 tablets that Apple has sold by the millions?

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Maybe this is because you don't NEED to replace a desktop or laptop nearly as often as a tablet or phone? A core 2 Duo desktop with at least 2GB RAM and an SSD will be a speed demon as far as most people are concerned. (unless they're gaming or editing video) Trust me, I doubt tablets will be able to fully replace desktops or laptops any time soon.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
By 2017 or around there, the Windows Phone will replace the PC. Apple will become just as popular as it was, prior to the iPod. Google will be somewhere between the two.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Tablets are the hottest coolest thing right now, and everyone has to have one. People already have a desktop or laptop now, why upgrade that when you can get a shiny new tablet?

jerryblack

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
The <a href="http://techdomino.com/tablets-outsell-pcs-laptops/">tablets</a>will eventually outsell PC's, but the question is, will it be Microsoft/Windows tablets or Android/iOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.