Microsoft Takes Cues from Gmail with New Hotmail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I don't like Gmail with tags and flags and labels and whatnot, I want FOLDERS where I can put my messages and a message should be in only ONE folder and nowhere else.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hmm. I use Yahoo! Mail Classic. I have paid for the Plus! features. But quite frankly I agree: If it sends and receives e-mail that's enough for me.

I'm guessing some PC magazine will do a comparison article soon. I'll have to check it out.

darkscorpion20

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I don't like Gmail with tags and flags and labels and whatnot, I want FOLDERS where I can put my messages and a message should be in only ONE folder and nowhere else.[/citation]

I am the opposite, i don't like that old school physical mentality, its digital content, why restrict yourself. I use like 2 labels at work, everything else i use search operators; overall i can find email far far faster than those that use a client with folders.

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I just use Gmail with Thunderbird. Been with gmail since the days of 3 invites per person, and have never had any reason to use hotmail or yahoo for non junk mail ever since.

kiang

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]darkscorpion20[/nom]I am the opposite, i don't like that old school physical mentality, its digital content, why restrict yourself. I use like 2 labels at work, everything else i use search operators; overall i can find email far far faster than those that use a client with folders.[/citation]
True that: why limit something to be in only one category? I use GMail because their web-client allows me to manage multiple emailadresses, and I use labels to manage those: so if a work-related email from a friend comes in, why should I have to put it in only one folder? Why not give it the labels "Work" AND "Friends" AND "secondary email"? I agree: the labelling concept takes some time getting used to, but in the end it is really beats the crap out of the old 'one mail is being put in one folder'-concept :)

ps: all my labels are being managed automatically thanks to GMail filters ;)
pps: Even without labels I'd prefer GMail since it doesn't have the immensely annoying and hugely unprofessional SPAM about MS-products at the end of every mail you send!

Status
Not open for further replies.