Microsoft Talks About Fixing Disk Problems in Windows 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Windows needs to be able to boot from software RAID, so we can have TRIM+RAID.

It also needs to implement asymmetric RAID, so we can make RAID 0 with drives of different speed, storing chunk of files proportional to drive speed.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]Windows needs to be able to boot from software RAID, so we can have TRIM+RAID.It also needs to implement asymmetric RAID, so we can make RAID 0 with drives of different speed, storing chunk of files proportional to drive speed.[/citation]
Sure, it would be nice, but do you really think Microsoft wants to invest in the development of that with companies like LSI and Adaptec that create better performing, bootable hardware RAID solutions?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]You all remind me of Windows XP users clammoring to find classic mode...or Windows 95 users choosing the progman option.MS has quite a few human behavior researchers in their $9billion/year labs and they test with all manner of users. Give it a try, go with the vision, you might find you're actually more productive.[/citation]

Yeah, if those closed-minded users only gave Microsoft Bob a chance!

Here is what you need to know about Metro: it's been available for 14 months on Windows Phone 7, and it barely got 1.5% usage share. And it was made for handheld touch devices. It's not a suitable UI for desktops, especially multi-monitor setups, and Microsoft knows it - that's why they have to force it on users.

As for "Microsoft's researchers", here you are being touchingly naive. Microsoft is not pushing Metro to make computing better for users, they're doing it because they want to move the current Windows user base to the app store/walled garden model, where Microsoft decides which apps can be used and sold, where they get a 30% cut from software sales and ad-revenue from ad-supported apps. Metro is all about that sweet app-store money, and forcing it on users is the only option for Microsoft because they can't get mobile usage share by competing with iOS and Android. Google and Apple are doing it on phones and tablets which are a couple of years old, while Microsoft wants to do it on a mature dominant ecosystem that billions of people depend on.

G

Like this will impress the average consumer who does not even know how to backup? What Windows 8 is lacking is a support advisor that will come to these people's houses and walk them through how to use Metro apps and be able to use Windows 8 effectively. The only people that will benefit from Windows 8 is the paid support businesses. Also I think all the PC makers better double their customer support staff at least for a while.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
A more resilient FS, one that fixes itself in the background transparent to the user is always a welcome feature. I hope it doesn't hog system resources as WinME used to.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Yeah, if those closed-minded users only gave Microsoft Bob a chance! Here is what you need to know about Metro: it's been available for 14 months on Windows Phone 7, and it barely got 1.5% usage share. And it was made for handheld touch devices. It's not a suitable UI for desktops, especially multi-monitor setups, and Microsoft knows it - that's why they have to force it on users.As for "Microsoft's researchers", here you are being touchingly naive. Microsoft is not pushing Metro to make computing better for users, they're doing it because they want to move the current Windows user base to the app store/walled garden model, where Microsoft decides which apps can be used and sold, where they get a 30% cut from software sales and ad-revenue from ad-supported apps. Metro is all about that sweet app-store money, and forcing it on users is the only option for Microsoft because they can't get mobile usage share by competing with iOS and Android. Google and Apple are doing it on phones and tablets which are a couple of years old, while Microsoft wants to do it on a mature dominant ecosystem that billions of people depend on.[/citation]
In fairness, Windows Phone 7 was late to the game, and the hardware manufacturers weren't exactly putting their best hardware forward with the platform. They had to make a special deal with Nokia to get noticed. And, only in the last 6 months has scrutiny from the FTC been lifted for the Windows 98/ie integration lawsuit, which prevented MS from designing any integrated platform wide systems. Their hands are finally untied, and can compete with design concepts from Google and Apple on a level playing field.

Reports have the Lumia 900 selling out, with Nokia unable to meet demand, at least with the cyan version.
http://www.dailytech.com/Nokia+Cant+Keep+Up+With+Cyan+Lumia+900+Demand+In+Talks+With+Verizon/article24664.htm

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Reports have the Lumia 900 selling out, with Nokia unable to meet demand, at least with the cyan version.http://www.dailytech.com/Nokia+Can [...] e24664.htm[/citation]

From the comments for that article: The Lumia 900 Black is currently #15 at Amazon in "Cell Phones with Service", behind a bunch of Android phones. The 900 Cyan is at #20. That doesn't sound like wild demand.

Besides, I was making a point about how Microsoft is wrong to try and force Metro UI on desktops, when it's not even a success in the market it was made for.

G

TBH after all the QQ'ing and raging about Metro being the "new" Start Menu, its reminds me that ALL HUMANS HATE CHANGE. Ignorance is bliss. Of course all people want is something to QQ about. Windows 8 is actually a great OS.... Get over it and get in the new age ..... whats next some complainers get 2gether and form a petition to get rid of Metro menu just like they cried so harshly about Mass Effect 3 endings LMAO so funny *eats popcorn*

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Ughh... if only these improvements didn't come with the cost of a UI that's not designed for the majority of Microsoft's user base that no one wants...

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Yeah, if those closed-minded users only gave Microsoft Bob a chance! Here is what you need to know about Metro: it's been available for 14 months on Windows Phone 7, and it barely got 1.5% usage share. And it was made for handheld touch devices. It's not a suitable UI for desktops, especially multi-monitor setups, and Microsoft knows it - that's why they have to force it on users.As for "Microsoft's researchers", here you are being touchingly naive. Microsoft is not pushing Metro to make computing better for users, they're doing it because they want to move the current Windows user base to the app store/walled garden model, where Microsoft decides which apps can be used and sold, where they get a 30% cut from software sales and ad-revenue from ad-supported apps. Metro is all about that sweet app-store money, and forcing it on users is the only option for Microsoft because they can't get mobile usage share by competing with iOS and Android. Google and Apple are doing it on phones and tablets which are a couple of years old, while Microsoft wants to do it on a mature dominant ecosystem that billions of people depend on.[/citation]

Blah,blah,blah...you forgot to mention your theory abt. MS creating the mayan calendar, thereby causing the end of the world...

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Microsoft needs more innovation. It's not about Metro or another interface facelift in Office but broader capabilities.

For instance, there are tons of useful settings that are still hidden in registry and install scripts, making the life of an experienced system administrator rather painful, often harder than in Linux.

[citation][nom]bigdog44[/nom]Blah,blah,blah...you forgot to mention your theory abt. MS creating the mayan calendar, thereby causing the end of the world...[/citation]

There's a theory, and then there's the writing on the wall. killerclick posted what M$ is doing and why they're doing it. If you don't like it, well then tough because M$ likes it.

bull270

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I think all you cry babies need to stick with Linux cause no matter what you are never happy. You guys know everything and that's why you are where you are at and Microsoft is a billion dollar company. Get use to change, sticking with the current task bar is like stick with ISA architecture at some point you have to go. With metro being installed on phones, tablets, and desktops everything will integrate seamlessly and offer greater capability.

besplatan

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
[citation][nom]bull270[/nom]I think all you cry babies need to stick with Linux cause no matter what you are never happy. [/citation]

I'm very happy with Windows 7, which will be supported until 2020, so there's no real rush to upgrade.

It's been more than 10 years since XP came out, and most Windows users can still use it today and not miss much, whether it's Photoshop CS6, 3ds Max or Skyrim.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]fhfgjhngjn[/nom]when both a HD and SSD are detected, after Windows is done installing, launch a wizard for partitioning the HD and putting Program Files and User Files on HD partitions ?[/citation]
There's no such a thing but you could try BuClean to have certain things changed prior to install.

[citation][nom]dreadlokz[/nom]still can't see good points to upgrade yet![/citation]

Improved Chkdsk, improved wireless connection speed, improved RAM and CPU overhead, decreased hard drive capacity usage of operating system, etc... Yeah, there aren't many good things to count, are there?

Metro is really the only problem with Windows 8. The only other two problems worth mentioning are WMP and WMC, neither of which matter because there are better, free alternatives to both, so at worst, they're minor inconveniences to the people who actually use them. Fail troll is fail.

USHypertraxx

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
[citation][nom]JackNaylorPE[/nom]Improved NTFS ..... hmmmm ....... was supposed to be part of Windows 5.0How about recognizing the existence of SSD's and when both a HD and SSD are detected, after Windows is done installing, launch a wizard for partitioning the HD and putting Program Files and User Files on HD partitions ?[/citation]
That's right,

You know, sometimes i'm wondering WHO THE HELL WORKS @ MICROSOFT. Because lately the answer on my qeustion is monkeys. How is it even possible for people to STUDY their entire chil-hood. They become HIGH-Educated, and even THAN they somehow manage it to FAIL so hard that my balls chop off.

[citation][nom]USHypertraxx[/nom]That's right,You know, sometimes i'm wondering WHO THE HELL WORKS @ MICROSOFT. Because lately the answer on my qeustion is monkeys. How is it even possible for people to STUDY their entire chil-hood. They become HIGH-Educated, and even THAN they somehow manage it to FAIL so hard that my balls chop off.[/citation]

5.0 (Win 2000) DID have NTFS improvements... These are just MORE improvements. Sometimes, I wonder how trolls manage to convince themselves that what they say is even remotely accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.