Microsoft Talks About How Windows 8.1 Preview Will Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

If you want to read about that I recommend strapping on your tin foil hat and tuning in for some Glenn Beck this morning. You will find him somewhere on the AM dial.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Microsoft still doesn't get it that the start button was not the main problem or Metro Apps themselves. The start button was a target to hit with the mouse so you did not constantly throw off the mouse gradually over time and the start button made it simple for many users. The Windows 7 start menu made it quick and easy to start your most recent programs with the most recent files and in Windows 8 you are either scrolling and hunting or typing to find an app. Windows 8 is like having the Windows 98 start menu with all folders open making it cluttered and harder to find the program you are looking for. It was the inability for Metro apps to run in a resizable window on the desktop with the option for full screen mode. If you want to see the calendar while using Word, you would need to either flip flop to a full screen app or waste a chunk of your display to show a single app on the desktop instead of having a small app showing constantly anywhere on the desktop. As long as people could not tell the difference between a desktop and a Metro app, then adapting to Metro would not have been an issue. They took the unobtrusive widgets away, which saved more space on the desktop, which helped avoid small useful apps from clogging the open windows.

Not having to reinstall apps is good, but is it like the "refresh" of windows 8, that claims you don't have to reinstall apps, but wipes anything not installed from the windows 8 store?

(EDIT: in response to the poster above:)

Osmin, I agree with you that the start menu should be much more customizable. However, I disagree that it's slower - people seem to not realize that they can take items off the start screen quite easily. The way I look at it is that the start screen is a less-customizable taskbar, but as a start menu, it's far, far faster - typing is always going to be faster than using a mouse to hunt through folders, and all I have to do if I want to start a program that I don't have pinned somewhere is press the windows button and start typing.

I'm personally a fan; while I dislike how little one can customize and tweak the way the new interface looks and acts, it is faster, and windows 8 has a lot of nice / improved features. The trick to appreciating it is to spend five minutes working within the settings, not relying on windows store apps, and teaching yourself to use the windows key more often.

maharana

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
i think this windows should contain essential softwares, utilities, best anti-virus and some other studying material like latest microsoft office and latest Microsoft Encarta and desktop, log on screen should be very interactive like revolving of planets, formation of DNA along with information provide on right side or down side of screen. If this happens then Most of schools,student,parents would prefer it. During installation there should be 2 options 1> FOR BUSINESS and FOR EDUCATION and it further divided into KIDS and STUDENT and moreover command prompt have all right and it should be beyond of all security, authoring permission. Face recognition and voice recognition software for security.

Status
Not open for further replies.