Microsoft Talks About the Team Building Windows 8

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No way, after microsoft put out simplified crap like win 7, forget about win 8, I'll stick with Vista baby! Plus, why so soon with a new windows edition? Are they copying the silly firefox new release every few months schedule now??

marshsmello

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
@marshsmello since you installed linxu a year ago you care enough for the big OS that you take liberty to post about not carring about them.

Well, windows are everywhere on the front pages, like the fist in the eye, I could't not to notice so I took the liberty to remind there are other good OS's too. I had no problems with linux so far and installed it to some of my neighbours (who don't know about computers too much and not care about antivirus measures so they frequently had troubles with windows). Linux is also good for people who use computer only for facebook, to write a letter and basic things. I personally have used Apple II os (never macos unfortunately), spectrum, atari gem, amiga os, then bought pc with DOS, all windows until vista and I don't mind writing about past things. You can have drivers problems in every OS. And I cannot care less for Ballmer's boasting like there is nothing else in the world.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Are they copying the silly firefox new release every few months schedule now??

You are silly. Mozilla is simply trying to appeal to the market and instead of naming the new releases 4.x, they call them 5.0, 6.0, etc. They ALWAYS had regular updates.

And I cannot care less for Ballmer's boasting like there is nothing else in the world.

For PC gamers - nothing else. So in this case he's right. Whether the upgrade will be actually worth it for gamers is another story...

Linux is also good for people who use computer only for facebook, to write a letter and basic things.

Indeed, if they have someone who'll install and take care of it for them. Otherwise, it's like magic to them and they're lost. Plus, I know quite a few people who do what you said - only check email, news and stuff... and they can't stand Linux. So it's a matter of preference. However, you can't deny that Linux is literally PLAGUED with stupid issues, most of which are simply an error in a config file (a semicolon missing or a wrong value...). Yesterday, I downloaded some updates, and was like "WTF?" The updates broke the custom driver on my WLAN card (although I blacklisted the standard drivers for that card!) and I had to do the whole procedure AGAIN. I don't mind, because Linux is not my primary OS and I'm quite fast with the terminal (actually, I swear, if the next update breaks the driver again, I'll just write a script to automate the reinstall...) and I listen to good music while doing it, but would the common user want to put up with this crap? Or the notorious Network Manager? Or Unity, which gave me epic lulz when it declared that my GPU doesn't support Unity (of course not... that stupid "open-source" OS won't have the proprietary drivers bundled inside!) and cause massive trouble to everyone else?

That OS is simply NOT ready for the common user. And if you don't have Internet connected, you're ****ed! Especially if your network doesn't work right away (like with my WLAN card.. good thing I have dual-boot). On Windows, I reinstall all my software from my backup external HDD. Linux won't have it; you need aptitude/apt-get install or Software Center. Again and again, the key to winning people's loyalty to the OS is to have all the software being able to be installed from an executable. Linux only has a small part of its software that can do that.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I hope that windows 8 will never,ever become like a Apple operating system...Reading some of these blogs makes me believe that they should stay with their own Apple products & not try to force an idea to mould the two together for their own minorities benefit...

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
as long as we have option to use other sources to get and purchase "app", then app-store is just fine. i don't want to have to hack MY setup...

stridernz

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I can't wait... Enhanced Windows 7 features, news features and finally something that will work on a tablet or touch screen PC.. I would think that the whole tile interface is optional for power desktop users.. Bring it on MS.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Personally, I like that when I alt-tab in W7, I am presented with a view of all of my open windows / apps, so I can quickly zero in on the one I want. I also like that I can hover over an open app in the taskbar to see the individual windows it is hosting. If I had to swipe through a dozen open apps to get to the one I wanted, that would prove quite tiresome after a while. They should make it so that if you wiggle-swipe the current window/app left and right quickly, it puts a ribbon at the bottom that looks a bit like the mac taskbar (basically showing small tiles in swipe order, with the current app highlighted), but scrolls as you swipe through windows/apps. And if you swipe really fast, it could flip through several apps at a time. My android phone does something like that when scrolling through a long list, and I love it. One at a time alt-tabbing, but through swiping though, would be annoying.

Side-topic...
@treefrog:

I like W7, but some of my critical apps require XP - they won't work on W7.

W7 has an XP emulator that basically runs as a virtual machine / remote desktop but with more integration with e.g. clipboard and the host UI. Unless you're using 3D-intensive apps, that should work fine for most XP programs. You can also install most software that isn't directly compatible w/ W7 in a compatibility mode (right-click... properties... Compatibility tab... "Run this program in compatibility mode for:") for a prior version of Windows.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I also like that I can hover over an open app in the taskbar to see the individual windows it is hosting. If I had to swipe through a dozen open apps to get to the one I wanted, that would prove quite tiresome after a while.

PROGRAM, my friend, PROGRAM. Not an "app". PCs don't run "apps". Tablets and smartphones do. Please, let's not degrade to the level of the "common user" =)

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
nowadays[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]PROGRAM, my friend, PROGRAM. Not an "app". PCs don't run "apps". Tablets and smartphones do. Please, let's not degrade to the level of the "common user" =)[/citation]
nowadays more n00b raise from gadget & tablet era. thats why they prefer to use "app" rather than "program". they only know how to sms/mms/facebook/twitter rather than c, c++ ;-)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
nowadays more n00b raise from gadget & tablet era. thats why they prefer to use "app" rather than "program". they only know how to sms/mms/facebook/twitter rather than c, c++ ;-)

You don't have to be a programmer to know the PC stuff properly... I only know a little bit of C and Java, but that doesn't stop me from being a power user or using the terms correctly xD

It was a small mishap and the person doesn't deserve to be called a noob because of that, but I'm just tired of seeing tablet and smartphone terms applied to the PC as if they're on the same level... dependant on mini-programs (aka "apps) to do what we're used to doing in browser.

craig_1000

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Has no one else noticed the 'Engineer Desktop' entry, wonder what that is all about. Hope it is not a glorified admin account, may solve a lot of support issues.

marshsmello

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Otherwise, it's like magic to them and they're lost

Gaming of course. You are right. Linux is a different mind set. I think it is just a matter of habit we all got over the years with windows.

On Windows, I reinstall all my software from my backup external HDD. Linux won't have it;
Mine recognizes external HD's well. You probably use some backup program on windows to do that as only copying folders usualy won't do (registry entries). You have backup programs in linux too. You can also back up package files ie. "installation exe" (deb, rmp) to HD.

you need aptitude/apt-get install or Software Center. Again and again, the key to winning people's loyalty to the OS is to have all the software being able to be installed from an executable. Linux only has a small part of its software that can do that.

Almost every program is packed in some sort of rpm, deb etc. This is a "installation .exe" but better because it automatically keeps track on updates and dependencies. I think this may be the solution to your backup problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=819396
To install new program on windows you need to buy/copy some media or to download from internet. That also true for linux. You can do offline installs but of course not from the thin air. You need a cd/dvd or internet on another computer to download files. And excuse me, I was always bad in foreign languages, I know (((.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
^ I don't do backups. I have *installers* copied to my HDD. K-Lite, drivers, Skype, FF, etc. Backups are stupid and pointless; they simply copy too much of unnecessary junk, totally negating the point of CLEAN reinstall.

Gaming of course. You are right. Linux is a different mind set. I think it is just a matter of habit we all got over the years with windows.

It is not a habit, it's a purpose. Too many Linux users don't know anything about gaming and are convinced it's only for kids.

Mine recognizes external HD's well. [/qote]

Of course it does, and so does mine. You misunderstood me; I meant that "Linux won't have it" in terms of not having proper installation packages. You claim they exist; I've tried them before, but normally they don't install half as nicely as aptitude installation does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.