News Microsoft Teases New Windows 11 Snipping Tool, Dark Mode for Word

Giroro

Splendid
Microsoft has already talked about how they are forcing "snip and sketch" in Windows 11. It does the same thing as snipping tool... but with a slower interface that is less readable and not as space-efficient. It is very much in the Windows 11 philosophies of "slow form over fast function", "oversized unlabled icons that are all the same color", and "Use this feature the exact way we tell you to, whether you like it or not". That is why nobody uses snip and sketch, despite the snipping tool telling everybody to use it for the last 2+ years.
It's been preinstalled on every windows 10 machine I've used lately.

I don't think Microsoft's B-team has fully figured out that Windows 8 isn't reviled because their "Metro" design had too much color and readability. It was because all the giant icons were a huge waste of space for a desktop environment, often made it harder to figure out what was going on, and didn't actually do much to improve the tablet experience.
They think it makes windows easier to learn for new users, but the interface is increasingly impenetrable to anybody who hasn't spent the last decade or two memorizing the meaning of these icons. it's not streamlined, they're just replacing critical information with hieroglyphics.

Like, how is a kid supposed to figure out how to save a file when the menu has been entirely removed and replaced with an icon of an unlabled floppy disk? They don't know what a floppy disk is.

I don't think it's any surprise that the more Microsoft pushes this design, the more users they lose to Crome OS. If Microsoft keeps copying the competition's drawbacks without understanding Google's advantages, then why pay the Windows premium?

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
I don't think it's any surprise that the more Microsoft pushes this design, the more users they lose to Crome OS. If Microsoft keeps copying the competition's drawbacks without understanding Google's advantages, then why pay the Windows premium?

The more I learn of the changes in Win 11, the less incentive I feel to move from Win 10 Pro. It works very well for me as it is, if I wanted a tablet interface I'd buy a tablet (and at this rate, not with Win 11).

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
Windows 10 has two snipping tools lol! Who cares really? These are apps. Windows has tons of apps! What does this have to do with the OS?

D

Deleted member 14196

The more I learn of the changes in Win 11, the less incentive I feel to move from Win 10 Pro. It works very well for me as it is, if I wanted a tablet interface I'd buy a tablet (and at this rate, not with Win 11).
Same here. I’m going to stick with windows 10 until it’s retired I have decided. Since I don’t game after that I might move to Linux

voyteck

Reputable
Jul 1, 2020
I'm definitely not waiting for the dark mode. There are basically two factors that cause sore eyes (apart from some backlight issues in case of astigmatism) : contrast and contrast — between the screen and the wall behind and between the font and the background. I simply put two desktop lamps behind my Ultra HD display and change the font color of the style Normal to 75% black. This is as kind for my eyes as a traditional book.

Besides, a dark mode hinders reading speed and comprehension.

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
Microsoft teased a new Snipping Tool that's set to arrive with Windows 11 and Word's long-overdue dark mode on Twitter.

Microsoft Teases New Windows 11 Snipping Tool, Dark Mode for Word : Read more
Again MS has made me laugh out loud... like this is a major "new" thing. I have been able to use various dark themes (as well as several dozen others) in all my Linux distros for YEARS. Plus, has everyone collectively forgotten the Win blinds themeing third party program that was super popular back in 98/XP days that did this same kind of thing? This is way NOT new really. Besides, to me this is more like changing the curtains/rug than Windows itself.