News Microsoft Testing New Office Key

I wouldn't really want a dedicated key for Office. The idea would be much better if it was open to all programs. So, that whatever program is in the foreground can have it's own menu pop up when the key is pressed.

The only time I ever used the menu key was for right clicking when I had to use an old one button Apple mouse. While waiting for a replacement.

I use the menu key fairly regularly, keeps me from having to reach for the mouse so often for certain things, even in Linux. Can we stop changing keyboards. I can't stand laptop keyboards and multimedia keyboards where I need to hit a function key to make F1-F12 work.

I definitely agree that we don't need vendor, or worse yet application specific keys on keyboards.

D

Deleted member 14196

I use the menu key fairly regularly, keeps me from having to reach for the mouse so often for certain things, even in Linux. Can we stop changing keyboards. I can't stand laptop keyboards and multimedia keyboards where I need to hit a function key to make F1-F12 work.

I definitely agree that we don't need vendor, or worse yet application specific keys on keyboards.
Agreed! I use this key all the time, for everything. anything I want, tap the windows key and start typing, bam, found it, if they change it I will be uber po'd

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I wouldn't be opposed to a standardized key or two as a dedicated macro or "hook" key for different applications... I think it's good that they're to replace something like the Menu key, since I'm yet to meet anyone in person who even knows what that key is/does. It's basically obsolete with mice.

D

Deleted member 14196

you just met one here, and all of my coworkers use it all the time, it's the fastest way to find things in windows, if you aren't using it, you are doing windows WRONG

nobody needs an office key, useless garbage. i can already make macros for that, but who cares or even needs that?

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
Leave the menu key alone! Adding the Windows key was bad enough! I think it's a bad idea when they change hardware to specific software products.

D

Deleted member 14196

And some people live in MS Office all day long, to the exclusion of anything else. Might be helpful for them.
as long as they don't foist it on me and force me to deal with it, that's ok.

D

Deleted member 14196

i never will. i don't like any of their hardware... ever and will gladly stay away from it.

Would not a simple key combo be easier to implement? WIndows key or Ctrl + O (for Office?), for instance? And as anyone could have long had a Word/Powerpoint, etc, shortcut right in the taskbar for ages, a keyboard shortcut seems sort of 'gimickey'