Microsoft Testing Outlook App for Windows RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Even though Surface RT isn't selling much, they should. Porting it to another platform would be beneficial. If the next Xbox has ARM on it, this would make a version of Outlook available on that as well

[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]Even though Surface RT isn't selling much, they should. Porting it to another platform would be beneficial. If the next Xbox has ARM on it, this would make a version of Outlook available on that as well[/citation]
why would you want outlook on an xbox?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]What a failure by MS Windows 8 and Surface is....[/citation]
Shame really because I think it works really well, and time will tell on the Surface as the Pro is due in less than 2 weeks.

iniudan

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Outlook App is not required, neither does it need to be absorbed into the Mail App...Outlook.com website looks the part and has all the functionality you need[/citation]

I don't think you understand the main reason for an outlook app, exchange integration for enterprise, for which outlook is the central piece on client side. But I admit could always use the web access also (if made available), but the interface most likely not suited for a tablet.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Surface RT can't join a domain. It isn't targeted at the enterprise market. If it were then Outlook RT would be a no brainier. But as it stands most, most not all, home users don't use Outlook so it isn't nessessary. Those who are buying Surface Pro have to purchase Office separately and it can run the x86 version of Outlook.

obsama1

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]Even though Surface RT isn't selling much, they should. Porting it to another platform would be beneficial. If the next Xbox has ARM on it, this would make a version of Outlook available on that as well[/citation]

Why would the next Xbox have an ARM chip? That would mean no backward compatibility, and ARM still can't match the power of x86 and PowerPC (PowerPC is used in the Xbox).

iniudan

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
[citation][nom]Fancarolina[/nom]Surface RT can't join a domain. It isn't targeted at the enterprise market. If it were then Outlook RT would be a no brainier. But as it stands most, most not all, home users don't use Outlook so it isn't nessessary. Those who are buying Surface Pro have to purchase Office separately and it can run the x86 version of Outlook.[/citation]

Ok thank for the info, didn't know of that limitation on RT and I got to admit it a freaking odd and stupid one for Microsoft, especially with how well integrated remote desktop and hyper-V are now in Server 2012, so a Windows RT could be has useful has a full windows in certain enterprise environment, if given the proper tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.