Microsoft Tests Claim Edge Browser Beats Competitors In Power Efficiency Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiy0

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
So if we all act like anybody gives a damn about web browser "power consumption", I guess Microsoft will be happy.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Interesting, but singling out any one parameter is always questionable (I realize this was marketing stunt). I know I have had problems with Edge not rendering, or rendering some things differently from other browsers, which is a concern. Of course, if the difference in performance and power-consumption is big enough then that would not matter as much, I guess.

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
What I understand from this is a troll article! First of all, Edge browser works only on Windows so for sure it is more compatible with the devices using Windows. Second thing, the comparison is not even effective as the other browsers tends to work on different platforms which means have to have all kind of things. Lastly, why didn't compare Mac Safari vs Windows Edge?
Lastly, I love to see these kind of articles that has no purpose or proving something. If a study or comparison to be done it has to have the legitimate factors and parameters.

The problem is that Microsoft performed these tests. It's the same type of tricks used with AMD, for example, and Nvidia, when they showcase their new GPUs and the wonderful FPS numbers. Then there are always catches to all of it.

Also, since this stuff is in the milliwatts, it really doesn't matter. It would take you probably 10 years straight of doing this task and saving 1W over Chrome to actually save $1.

the last 2 windows insider builds have addons in edge so they will be in the july update

Only Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge on Windows, and Safari on Mac, support 1080p HTML5 player streams while Chrome, Firefox and Opera only streams up to 720p in quality.

Grabbed from a different article somewhere else on the 'net. Assuming its still accurate, which it should be, being published only 6 months ago, its the only reason I can think of why someone might choose Microsoft.

if it was 6 months ago i'm sure other browsers have caught up by now.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Would be nice to see an objective reviewing site compare web browser performance (including battery life with all of the other online benchmarks that like to be used.)

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
So, Tom's Hardware. Mind testing the popular web browsers to determine their performance/standards-compliance/resource-usage like you used to? Those articles were great!

Also Firefox has been quoting one of yours from some 3 years ago and using it in it's recent marketing...

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Instead of testing things like the MS should be looking at larger issues like Edge not allowing you to upload attachments if you use an Outlook web app.

Fecking muppets.

jtown82

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
It has been well known for a long time now Chrome is no longer that great of a browser. like everything Google it go to popular and instead of keeping in streamlined they instead kept throwing crap into not needed. there are so many useless features huilt into chrome that make up a large portion of what is being done while it is running. You can Tell Kiyo has never ran IT for a company rofl.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013

I'm fairly certain that source was wrong; I've been streaming HTML5 Youtube in 1080p for some time now in Firefox. With a little hacky-hack I can get 2160p too on some videos.

Take it with a grain of salt, of course.

alextheblue

Distinguished
which are likely highly optimized for Windows 10 and its browser.

Lucian would you care to elaborate on this part? More details on what has been done to this model of Intel processor to make it "mo' faster" with Edge maybe? Perhaps they've released a special build of Edge hardcoded to take advantage of secret hardware accelerator blocks in the GPU that are only present in the Surface Book? At least post a source. Hiding behind "highly likely" is an interesting move as a technology journalist but... you can run the same software on your own systems too. Or do you think they have firmware-level optimizations that ONLY affect Edge? How highly likely is that?

I do find it likely that they chose workloads that allow Edge to accel at spinning the CPU up only when needed and allowing it to drop clocks / sleep when the need for speed is not dire (such as when the user is just reading and scrolling). So I imagine that depending on your usage the power gap will vary and we want independent testing for this reason. Some workloads may perform much closer. However the "full" versions of the other two big browsers obviously don't value power efficiency very much, at this time. The reason this is obvious to me? Opera is Chromium-based and it beats the crap out of Chromium-based Chrome. That alone speaks volumes about the room for improvement in Chrome. That's why they included Opera in the comparison. It shows that there's little effort on the part of Mozilla and Google to be power efficient (except perhaps when it comes to mobile-focused builds for other OS such as Android).

I think the main reason they did this test in the first place is that a LOT of Windows Laptops/hybrids/etc are running Chrome and FF, and they make Windows laptops look poor in the battery life department. They know they aren't going to convert all those users, so instead they will goad Google and Mozilla into action. If you're a Chrome user with a mobile Windows device, this will actually benefit you in the future as Google starts to improve power usage.

G

But how much power does Edge use when almost no one uses it? I would guess very little... so,... I guess they think they are winning??

Status
Not open for further replies.