News Microsoft to Acquire Activision Blizzard in Blockbuster $69 Billion Deal

InvalidError

Titan
If that means the $15 month-by-month WoW sub becomes $9-10/month Game Pass, it would be a pretty sweet deal for people who still play WoW on an on-going basis. I only play in 3-4 months bursts on new content drops.

Reactions: Eximo

kanewolf

Titan
If that means the $15 month-by-month WoW sub becomes $9-10/month Game Pass, it would be a pretty sweet deal for people who still play WoW on an on-going basis. I only play in 3-4 months bursts on new content drops.
Or GamePass becomes a $19.99 subscription, with the slogan of "$5 cheaper than the previous two subscriptions!!!"

Or GamePass becomes a $19.99 subscription, with the slogan of "$5 cheaper than the previous two subscriptions!!!"

Or perhaps they're just hoping with the extensive game library, they bring in the WOW players that only pay for subscriptions after new content updates, but hoping they'll stay on gamepass all year long and never leave.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Something missing from this site's article, fortunately it is present on other articles and sites:
This will make Microsoft the third-largest gaming company by revenue after Tencent and Sony.
Even with this huge acquisition they will still be 3rd in the gaming department.

Anyway, this deal is not worth that much for that pile of **** company, not at all. But if there was anyone willing and able to buy expensive garbage, that would be MS.

I'm really curious to see if they can turn this garbage into gold or it will be their worst move ever. Time will tell.

Sony has more work to do, but no, it's not game over yet. Not even close, until that 1st quote remains true.

Reactions: bigdragon

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
This seems like a really boneheaded move given all the scandals ABK is involved in right now. Yes, there's a lot of IP here. There's also a ton of house cleaning needed. Microsoft bought damaged goods. I didn't expect to see Microsoft purchase a company they were "evaluating their relationship with" in the face of so many scandals.

I'm hoping that Microsoft reaches into ABK's huge IP catalog and starts pumping out all sorts of content. They own so many franchises -- from Warcraft and Call of Duty, to Spyro and Geometry Wars. There's so much good that Microsoft can do if they take the focus off pushing out a new Call of Duty every year. I'd love to see a new take on Spyro in particular.

This seems like a really boneheaded move given all the scandals ABK is involved in right now. Yes, there's a lot of IP here. There's also a ton of house cleaning needed. Microsoft bought damaged goods. I didn't expect to see Microsoft purchase a company they were "evaluating their relationship with" in the face of so many scandals.

I'm hoping that Microsoft reaches into ABK's huge IP catalog and starts pumping out all sorts of content. They own so many franchises -- from Warcraft and Call of Duty, to Spyro and Geometry Wars. There's so much good that Microsoft can do if they take the focus off pushing out a new Call of Duty every year. I'd love to see a new take on Spyro in particular.
I dont think MS would purchase ABK without cleaning house as far as problematic policies and personnel are concerned. I just hope that they stop pandering to China and their political agendas.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A good chunk of the price is buying out the stock options of the upper management. They won't stick around.

If you think people are going to stop pandering to one of the largest customer bases in the world...well I have news.

Admittedly, Microsoft is the only company I can recall that shut down their China division for copyright violations, but that was many years ago.

A good chunk of the price is buying out the stock options of the upper management. They won't stick around.

If you think people are going to stop pandering to one of the largest customer bases in the world...well I have news.

Admittedly, Microsoft is the only company I can recall that shut down their China division for copyright violations, but that was many years ago.
I said, "I hope," I didn't say, "I think."

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is interesting, I tried to find that old instance, late 90s as I recall, but I kept finding more recent content.

In the last year or two MS has both caved in to China by silencing media outlets and pulling LinkedIn out of China because it was too hard to meet their requirements.

In the last year or two MS has both caved in to China by silencing media outlets and pulling LinkedIn out of China because it was too hard to meet their requirements.
China is the largest gaming customer on planet.

MS as a company with shareholders literally has to do stuff liek this else lose $.

a large companies choices are rarely its own.

does suck but business is business and companies exist to make $ first and foremost.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
communism is insane. Turns out it's 8-9 pm for Friday, Sat, Sunday. I wonder if they harvest your kidneys if you play more than that. Im guessing they shut down the servers or something

I've always wondered if they implemented it to see who would try to bypass the great firewall. Then recruit them into cyber warfare.