Microsoft to Invest $80M in Advertising "BING"

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeorangeman

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Honestly, Microsoft needs to learn that not everybody wants absolutely everything from them. They need to take a look at GM. They have like 1,000 different car brands and on the verge of bankruptcy because everybody wants to buy a Toyota (a much better build vehicle from the popular opinion). Microsoft it's this simple: stick to OS and other software packages and make those perform ridiculously well, and let others innovate elsewhere (and when they make something really sweet, like google, buy them, ha ha ha ha).

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
So MS Live search is dead?

Just doesn't have the same common sound as telling someone to search by:
"Google _______"
versus
"Bing ________"
Better work on the name some more..........

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
From my past experience (since altavista), google does give a lot of positive/relevant results for what I'm searching.
MS search engine (live search) sux a lot because most of the time the results given are not even close related to what I'm used to get from google (I only use LS if I forget to add google search right after formating a PC and before installing firefox).
Have anyone tried to find an error message from MS softwares using live search? :)
You have to search "0x0088920DA09 vista word save compatibility" in order to get relevant results (fictional search) while at google you just type in the error 'number'.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Google always puts the "paid" advertisers at the top of the list so you have to work way down the list to find links with real content. If MS would work better then I would definitely switch.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Hmm, they should've named it "BANG". So instead of saying "Go google it" you could say "go bang it".

"Honey, what's the street address of our lawyer?"
"I don't know, google him or bang him."

Aaah, these nerd jokes.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I used to love Google until they had the joke of providing results based on the word "Failure" linking to George Bush, and then later linking to Michael Moore to even out the score. I personally think all politicains are scum by definition, but whether you support them or not, your search engine should not be politically motivated.

I am excited to see Microsoft putting forth the effort. I hope their product can keep up with their aspirations.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Platypus[/nom]I used to love Google until they had the joke of providing results based on the word "Failure" linking to George Bush, and then later linking to Michael Moore to even out the score. I personally think all politicains are scum by definition, but whether you support them or not, your search engine should not be politically motivated.[/citation]
That wasn't Google's doing, man. That was some users' prank. It's called "Google Bombing."

Also, WTF is it with Microsoft and stupid product names lately?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Honestly, I love Google.
I dream of working for Google.
Google has always been there for me.

I stopped using Yahoo search when I found Google, and only use Live search by mistake.

Google has been like a father to me.
If ever I have a question, Google answers it.
The results are relevant 95% of the time.

Google wins.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Matt_B[/nom]So MS Live search is dead?Just doesn't have the same common sound as telling someone to search by:"Google _______"versus "Bing ________"Better work on the name some more..........[/citation]

They should have called it "Bang" instead of "Bing". Lots of classic jokes could have been born from that.

You: "Just Google it, you'll find what you want."

OR

You: "Just Bing it, you'll find what you want."
Them: "Oh I'll Bring it alright! *SMACK*"
You: "Why'd you hit me man?"

I absolutely hate Windows Live Search, so I'm not super excited about "Bing". LOL I'm a Google man, simply because Google works.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
I think were all missing the real problem here. MS's marketing department is absolute rubbish. Every time I see a MS add Im forced to roll my eyes. Honestly is it a requirement to have finished in the bottom of your class to be on the MS marketing staff. So many of their ideas are unoriginal and for lack of a better word "lame".

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'll give Bing a try, but for now, google is far ahead of its competitors. Of course while I have very little difficulty finding what I want with google, I hope M$ can do better. It would be nice to see google actually have to fight for once, they always seem to be far ahead of everyone in everything they do. The fact that people still use yahoo should give M$ hope.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I have been using Live Search for a few months now and I like it. The results are almost the same as Google's. However, if they rename it to "Bing" or something equally dumb, I think I'll have to switch back to Google... Instead of spending millions of dollars to come up with a new dumb name, MS should just make www.live.com the default homepage for IE. I garuntee Live search's market share will rise by at least double digit percentage because most non-computer people will think they are using Google anyways.

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Personally, I would have named it "Skeet" or "Zoinks." I don't like the idea of being manipulated by a search engine that tries to guess what I'm typing. I used LIVE the other day and typed Mac OS X and at the top of the list was "are you searching for Bing? and you typed Bing right? and 3rd was "HEY DUDE! YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT BING!!.....What is that?

fudgeboy

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]You: "Just Google it, you'll find what you want."ORYou: "Just Bing it, you'll find what you want."Them: "Oh I'll Bring it alright! *SMACK*"You: "Why'd you hit me man?"[/citation]

dont think you got the full meaning of that joke. or i could just be filling in for capt. obvious.

either way - google will rule the world.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
m$ marketing droids at work... they are getting stupider by the day.
Just more money, from m$ lu$ers, thrown out the window$... I guess, BoM is already salivating.
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]Instead of spending millions of dollars to come up with a new dumb name, MS should just make www.live.com the default homepage for IE. I garuntee Live search's market share will rise by at least double digit percentage because most non-computer people will think they are using Google anyways.[/citation]
Make this the new homepage, and the next anti-trust lawsuit is rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.