Microsoft Turns the Surface Tablet Into a Skateboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

misterawsome

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Hmm, let's see- Tegra 3 (like the $200 Nexus 7)- 1366x768 (1/3 pixels of the new iPad)- less than 8 hours battery life (according to their own specs sheet)- few apps (most at beta stage)- costs $500 (without the touch cover)... No wonder they're trying to distract customers with dancing and skateboards. I would buy it if they distracted me with Ballmer's head on a pike.[/citation]
Yea but i runs windows, so its the only computer you need if you are a casual user.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]1366x768 (1/3 pixels of the new iPad)[/citation]Yes because pixel count tells the whole story, no need to bother checking out things like display type, brightness, contrast, glare, color reproduction, etc. Yes sir, resolution is the only factor when buying displays! What idiot shops for a high-end display when you can get the budget no-name poorly calibrated Walmart special and it has just as many pixels. Same thing applies when shopping for a new smartphone, pixels > universe. I don't think I need a sarcasm tag for that.

While I won't be buying one, the new Surface tablets are undoubtedly a premium offering. Comparing one to a Nexus is just silly. There are a lot of things they nailed with Surface. The build quality, the display, the materials, the radio, large internal storage + microSDXC expansion, full size USB, Office, all fantastic. They're on an entirely different playing field from the Nexus or Fire devices. So I understand how they came to be so costly, even though I was hoping for something in the $350-400 range.

I'll be curious to see where other RT designs land. Lenovo was talking up a good game.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Hmm, let's see- Tegra 3 (like the $200 Nexus 7)[/citation]Also, everyone keeps saying this. But you do realize there's more than one Tegra 3 variant, right? The Nexus uses a T30L IIRC. Not that it will be much faster, but the T30 in the Surface will have slightly faster clocked ARM cores, and the ULP Geforce is clocked quite a bit faster, and I'd bet it is paired with faster memory. The T30 is also the same chip the Transformer Prime uses, FYI.

Not night and day, but not "It's the exact same chip" either. Plus it uses DDR3-L, which I'm sure played a role in their decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS