Microsoft Unveiling Windows 8 on Tablet Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
A tablet that can run full versions of Word, Excel, Quickbooks and other full versions of major desktop programs would be great. Plus being able to run expensive and impossible to replace software that target specific industries say party equipment rental, vending machine tracking, &c. If this thing also has a high res display, a highly accurate touch interface and the ability to use a pen input for actually writing this could give the iPad a run for the money.

I think an accurate pen input is critical. That way you can hold the tablet with one hand and write with the other. When taking notes you can actually draw diagrams with the notes. Then you can actually walk around with the thing and write easily. When in class you can replace paper for note taking something that the laptop fails at when you have a professor that jumps about in their ramblings or starts drawing diagrams, formulas, &c.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
When I read this "to demonstrate they truly are an innovative company." I had to laugh. MS has copied almost everything they have ever done, including this tablet OS. Face it, Apple paved the way. Google copied and followed suit with Android.

G

It sure would be cool to see something from Samsung with 3/4G/LTE like the "Samsung Galaxy S II Smartphone" (or the "Samsung Galaxy 3D" or the Samsung Note") running Win8 - heck ANY 4-5" AMOLED Screen CellPhone running Win8 !

With Win8 running on ARM it should not be too big a stretch to pull off and think how well your Phone would integrate with your Desktop or Laptop.

When you think they say "Buy Buy Apple" your wrong, it's "bye-bye Apple" !

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]When I read this "to demonstrate they truly are an innovative company." I had to laugh. MS has copied almost everything they have ever done, including this tablet OS. Face it, Apple paved the way. Google copied and followed suit with Android.[/citation]

I need a laugh and found one. Copied? hahahahah.. LOL.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]A tablet that can run full versions of Word, Excel, Quickbooks and other full versions of major desktop programs would be great. Plus being able to run expensive and impossible to replace software that target specific industries say party equipment rental, vending machine tracking, &c. If this thing also has a high res display, a highly accurate touch interface and the ability to use a pen input for actually writing this could give the iPad a run for the money.I think an accurate pen input is critical. That way you can hold the tablet with one hand and write with the other. When taking notes you can actually draw diagrams with the notes. Then you can actually walk around with the thing and write easily. When in class you can replace paper for note taking something that the laptop fails at when you have a professor that jumps about in their ramblings or starts drawing diagrams, formulas, &c.[/citation]
Everything you just described was suppose to be what the Tablet PC was. However, it never really got off the ground. Now that there are more powerful SOC platforms out there it might actually happen. In terms of getting existing expensive and complex apps out on tablets in the mobile space, that is a much more difficult prospect. If Microsoft could come up with a application virtualization platform that had a tablet friendly input layer that could work. Similar to remote apps, but with a layer to help with the lack of a keyboard and mouse in using the applications.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Windows 8 should stay on tablets alone.[/citation]

Ok, let's try this again for people that can't do remedial research, Windows 8 gives the user the option of having the metro UI or the classic windows 7 UI. It doesn't force you to use either one, it's up to the user. For the tablet and phones the metro UI is the default, for the desktop there is no default the user decides.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]kal326[/nom]Everything you just described was suppose to be what the Tablet PC was. However, it never really got off the ground. Now that there are more powerful SOC platforms out there it might actually happen. In terms of getting existing expensive and complex apps out on tablets in the mobile space, that is a much more difficult prospect. If Microsoft could come up with a application virtualization platform that had a tablet friendly input layer that could work. Similar to remote apps, but with a layer to help with the lack of a keyboard and mouse in using the applications.[/citation]

This is exactly what windows 8 is supposed to be, that's why it's so exciting. I don't think the Metro UI can change though the way existing windows app work, it only allows for the rewrite to metro ui/windows 8 app, but an existing app would still function with the additional flexibility of touch ability, added on screen keyboard, etc ... but I don't think it changes the fundamental interface to that APP. Like pull down menus, etc ... all that would still be there.

G

@velocityg4

it's called the EEE Slate and it's not cheap.... but still when compared to an i5 laptop it's not so bad

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]When I read this "to demonstrate they truly are an innovative company." I had to laugh. MS has copied almost everything they have ever done, including this tablet OS. Face it, Apple paved the way. Google copied and followed suit with Android.[/citation]
Like Apple didn't also copied every single product they have.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I notice that Samsung's teaming up with Apples biggest rival here. They want their revenge for the lawsuits...lol...

Anyway i think microsoft won't have too much of an issue creating an ecosystem for the tablet Win 8, because since it's apparently going to be the same/similar OS that'll run on desktops, which we all know has a HUGE ecosystem, porting it should not be too much of a prob.

"Five years ago I would have said 80 (...) "Now 80 percent pull out their Mac. If I were Steve Ballmer, that would be concerning to me."

Awesome. He seems to think that macbooks aren't laptops. Interesting how marketing works. Can't blame Intel for using the word "ultrabooks" when I read stuff like this...

G

I predict that 8 will be a game changer in the market and spank apple back down to where it belongs. That was very subjective but Microsoft does have a captive following and android is still an infant. There are only two "relevent" consumer OS's!

SplatU

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If they release it on a tablet priced at $150 to $200(OMG MS take a loss!??) it would really get it spread around quickly. Then, if its any good,be migrated to other devices and more readily accepted.

G

Funny thing is, much of the stuff coming to win8 wasn't possible before, because of Microsofts "monopoly" on the desktops, from app store to virtual dvd drives, and many other kinds of add-ons just weren't allowed until someone else did it first.
While I agree that monopolies are bad and can kill innovation, Microsoft was actually prevented from innovating due to the dominating market share. And now people say, like it means something: "someone else did this first"

flclkun

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

microsoft had the tablet pc years before the iMaxiPad.

Go back to engadget/gizmodo macf**

Considering the significant improvements seen with Windows Mobile 6 -> Windows Phone 7 in terms of touch screen feel, I have high hopes that Microsoft can make touchscreen experience a pleasant one with Windows 8.

Imagine, a device that can really merge the desktop and mobile sector.

lesz422

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
anybody who discounts Microsoft is a fool, i think even apple may have to change tactics if win8 pad comes out, and it works well with desktop pcs and bits and bobs

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Awesome. He seems to think that macbooks aren't laptops.[/citation]

He knows they are laptops, the point is they are not running Windows. Technology today is all about the Internet. The explosion of non-Microsoft devices on the Internet is what the Post-PC era is all about.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The Windows App store sound good, but as far as creating an ecosystem you only need to be compatible with existing Windows software.

How many times bigger than the crApp Store would that be?

Last time I checked download.com there were 60,000 free Windows software entries.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
dude, if there was a good pilot chart tool for it, I'd buy it. Actually, I'm learning to develop for WP7, so maybe in a year I will have written my own, then I could buy the tablet and get rid of the iPad! (great programs, hate iOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.