Microsoft Uses Old Spice Man for Win Phone 7 Ads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Does that mean that the average Windows user is more inclined to buy something if there's a muscular guy ripping his shirt off in the commercial? Obviously, real men use Linux, but have Windows users sunk to Apple's level of femininity?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I could see that this might miss the point... Namely, just WHAT is he trying to advertise? (other than himself, that is) I mean, EVEN if he'd held a phone in his hands just ONCE, I'm pretty sure most people would put it together, along with the word "Window." As it is, I think this might be a (failed) attempt at subliminal messaging.

This reminds me a bit of an ad from two years ago, back when Jerry Seinfeld appeared in an ad with Bill Gates. At least there, they do make it clear it's about Microsoft, and end with a Windows logo.

Perhaps this ad clip cuts off the end; if it ended similarly, showing a logo, or some other fixed screen to denote that it was about Windows 7, I could see this working.

G

Marketing doesn't have to, and often is best when it doesn't, follow what makes sense to us armchair marketing consultants. As well, it's an Aussie commercial, so perhaps overly mentioning one's product is one of those marketing nuances we yanks don't understand might be a bad thing with other cultures. Finally, "low budget" look is a specific look big productions sometimes go for in commercials (I'm convinced that trend started with the Snapple ads in the mid to late 90's). The fact that he leaves the obvious fake background scene to the immediate left and we instantly hear him splash into the water implies they were deliberately going for the "low budget" look. In short, unless you are invloved in major marketing, you won't know why certain commercials look ridiculous to us, but still bring in more sales than commercial we armchair marketers think would be better.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
idk about this, but the old spice commercials were definitely a success. Since the commercials first started, I have had a hard time finding old spice on the shelves at the store, and i have been using old spice for a long time!

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
How are you supposed to know this is a windows 7 phone commercial? He says the word "window" once. Makes me wana buy old spice tho...

Seriously, if anyone could fuck up an old spice man commercial, it's MS marketing department :(

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
The guy should be riding a chic moped on the beach for the iPhone then come blazing out of the ocean on a flaming black stallion for the win7 phone.

That would add some awesome into that commercial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS