Microsoft Wants Faster Internet With "HTTP Speed+Mobility"

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
As much as I agree that the HTTP protocol needs updating I am not sure if Micro$oft is the right company to provide engineering. I mean let's face it, they are not exactly known for their secure applications.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]As much as I agree that the HTTP protocol needs updating I am not sure if Micro$oft is the right company to provide engineering. I mean let's face it, they are not exactly known for their secure applications.[/citation]
What are you talking about? Microsoft software is amazingly secure, 99% of issues come from user error/idiocy.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I really hope Microsoft doesn't get it's way. Any web developer out there can tell you so many horror stories involving Microsoft's past history with their interpretation of web standards. It would just be best for the committee to agree to use SPDY, which already has been battle tested by Google on their servers. I mean if Google is willing to use it on their servers, then it should be ready for just about any situation. Besides, we already have two browser implementations of SPDY in service, unlike Microsoft's proposed solution.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Good for Microsoft.

Now let's see if anyone else use the feature. An unused feature is a dead feature, kinda like Rambus's DDR memory. No CPU or GPU manufacturer is using it, even AMD isn't using the XDR2.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Hope they get together and talk things through asap in the name of net advancement. Im tired when the most internet-based news daily is the new piracy policy of Facebook and how much people dont care about Google penetrating their private data.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]As much as I agree that the HTTP protocol needs updating I am not sure if Micro$oft is the right company to provide engineering. I mean let's face it, they are not exactly known for their secure applications.[/citation]

And Google is? Are you writing from the early 90's? Or just from those that.. you know are just generally stuck with the opinions they are "raised" with?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If Microsoft gets their way, no one will be able to access the Internet without upgrading (to) Windows.

Then again, If Microsoft gets their way, the Internet might just turn into a Windows Vista disaster.

Google isn't so bad, they pay people big bucks to find security flaws. Then again, wouldn't any company want the consumer to think positive about its mission?

G

This is years behind similar proposals from Google, but anyways... If Microsoft's proposal is approved, you can count on Internet Explorer to have a non-standard implementation of it that forces web developers to add some extra if browser=="IE" then... logic to their web applications.

osserc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Super, all the idiots and fanboys are out this morning.

Even Google is happy that MS is participating in this discussion and is bringing ideas to the table, yet the trolls keep perpetuating their nonsense.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
All those blank pages that wouldn't render except in IE make a return.
Not that it matters, speed improvements will be nothing once the MPAA gets their deep packet sniffer in place at taxpayer expense to inspect every bit of data to see if they can claim it.

hragarand

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Wonder if MS applied the EMBER Model to this -

1.(E) Does it make us extraordinary?
2.(M) Does it matter to customers?
3.(B) Does is break new ground?
4.(E) Does it encourage evolvement?
5.(R) Is it real?

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
M$ has proven they don't know diddly squat about web standards. Our IT department is still feeling the burn from the mess IE6 caused. It was so horribly written, that web apps had to insert artificial bugs to get it to work with IE6. Because of that, they don't work in any other browser (or version of IE), and it has forced us to put off the rollout of IE8 for ages now, because vendors aren't updating their applications to work with a newer browser. It all could have been prevented if IE6 wasn't so incredibly buggy.

osserc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]M$ has proven they don't know diddly squat about web standards. Our IT department is still feeling the burn from the mess IE6 caused. It was so horribly written, that web apps had to insert artificial bugs to get it to work with IE6. Because of that, they don't work in any other browser (or version of IE), and it has forced us to put off the rollout of IE8 for ages now, because vendors aren't updating their applications to work with a newer browser. It all could have been prevented if IE6 wasn't so incredibly buggy.[/citation]

Of course, one should always hold MS accountable for the failure of OTHER COMPANIES to adjust to newer browser versions. If they didn't know didly squat about web standards then the latest versions of IE would still suck, and that clearly isn't the case. IE9 rocks and 10 is allegedly even better, with parity on supporting the not even close to finalized HTML5 "standard".

You can argue all day that IE6 sucked and you would most likely be right, but to say that MS doesn't know crap about web standards when their latest browsers are excellent and highly standard compliant is asinine.

G

Typing HTTP in the address bar? Who still does this, and why? Most if not all browsers will attempt an address over http even if it is not typed. Heck, Chrome and Firefox don't even display it anymore. I can see typing it for https or ftp or some other protocol, but typing http in the address bar, nowadays, is just wasting time.

jasonkaler

Distinguished
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Good for Microsoft.Now let's see if anyone else use the feature. An unused feature is a dead feature, kinda like Rambus's DDR memory. No CPU or GPU manufacturer is using it, even AMD isn't using the XDR2.[/citation]
Google managed to implement their protocol on two websites. Wow!
MS has the ability to add it to their web server and have instant implementation on millions of sites.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]osserc[/nom]Of course, one should always hold MS accountable for the failure of OTHER COMPANIES to adjust to newer browser versions. If they didn't know didly squat about web standards then the latest versions of IE would still suck, and that clearly isn't the case. IE9 rocks and 10 is allegedly even better, with parity on supporting the not even close to finalized HTML5 "standard".You can argue all day that IE6 sucked and you would most likely be right, but to say that MS doesn't know crap about web standards when their latest browsers are excellent and highly standard compliant is asinine.[/citation]

IE9 drags just as slow as ie6, in fact ie6 beats it out on a side by side comparison.
do you really want microsoft to be the sole designer when they have so many problems they don't do anything to fix what's broke or left with an open window policy that it takes thousands of people screaming at them to get them to fix it or would you rather have a company with a track record who pays for bugs hackers find in order to fix them before they become an issue even a few hundred scream about?
just judge on microsofts piss poor track record and performance. i know new versions of chrome and firefox work on older microsoft operating systems that can't upgrade past ie6 or ie8. and yet microsoft can't fix the older IE's let alone make a new IE that works for 98 or xp. how long before an IE that doesn't work on vista i give microsoft 2 years to pull that stunt on vista users 5-7 more years on windows7 users. that is how microsoft track record works.

Status
Not open for further replies.