Microsoft: We'll Sell 30 Million Phones in 18 Months

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sultansulan

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Hihi. Both iPhone and Android are far far ahead. Where are all the apps. Windows Phone has flopped too many times.

Goodnight Microsoft.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Where have you been the past 10 years? tons of people switch to smart phones $30 might be a bit high but for people who want the smart phones like my self its not exactly exorbiant. They need to lower it yes but still. The comment makes no sense when millions of subscribers have already switched to smart phones in such a small ammount of time. I for one am never going back to a normal phone and honestly i think the "normal" phones are dead anyway.[/citation]

I know people are switching to smartphones, especially because apple came up with a very easy to use iphone. Even grandma's can use iphones. What I meant to say was that the data plan is still too expensive. Maybe I'm thinking this way because I'm a student. I would love to use a smartphone, only if the data plan wasn't a mandatory thing. I have access to wifi almost everywhere I go, so I have no need for a data plan. I am a old time PDA user, now I carry ipod touch for those purpose.

randomizer

Champion
Microsoft's market share is an order of magnitude smaller than 6 years ago. Their innovation is non-existent in this area and people are looking at better products. I severely doubt these figures unless Steve Ballmer is stocking up his closet.

Microsoft's significance in the smartphone market has evaporated.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I just don't see it happening. Ballmer is the most fail MS CEO we will ever see. Worse than Jerry Yang was for Yahoo. We need an INNOVATOR at MS, or linux and Chromium OS will replace MS Windows. Apple has peaked, the ipad is simply not innovative and is not STANDARDS COMPLIANT. Android currently has the momentum in the industry.

W7P will be another abysmal failure due to a lack of content. Same fate as WebOS.

G

this isn't merely a technical feat but a business and marketing feat. I have no doubt that Microsoft has the ability to create a great revolutionary OS but they need to get into people's hands. The Zune had uniqueness and was good but no one bought it...it's hard to compete against Apple, since Microsoft has problems with making great products that not enough people buy (ie. Arc mouse to Zune, Visual Studio especially) since this really is a software feat it should be in Microsoft's forte but they need to give good marketing money and get partners extremely excited and to get them working hand-in-hand. If they can get the makers of old WinMo distributing and making WinMo 7 with a strong marketing campaign in a smartphone market they can do very well even 30 mil but that's a big "if" that is definitely feasible for Microsoft not too many other players can say that.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]The secret is lots of hip advertising, just like Apple does.OTOH anybody with past WM phone experience will probably stay away from them. My current WM phone is not very impressive- it has a very slow browser, its gps doesn't work, it has a difficult menu system. The sound quality isn't too bad though.[/citation]
Exactly my experience. My WM6.1 phone sucked bad and I really wanted to develop for it, but it was just so horribly unreliable and slow I switch to Android. I hope WM7 with Silverlight & XNA turns things around, I would love to go back, but won't until I see what others have to say. After my last experience, I'm skeptical. I hope I'm presently surprised. IDK, I felt that Microsoft abandoned WM6 developers and customers. I hope they show more loyalty this time around.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
30 million phones wow I did not expect microsoft can achieve that - competition is quite harsh. . .well if there is a will then there is a 30 million phones sold.

I can see myself adding one for myself and my wife, bumping up my 139.99 a month plan to 199.99 a month...NOT! I'm already looking for ways to drop my package with 3 phones, oh wait, I already did that and am still disatisfied with what it cost me! As everyone else said, good luck with that. Change the data rate plans and you could get somewhere. Even if you gave me those phones and charge me 199.99 a month is not going to happen!

G

i like windows smart phones. you can hack them and make them do what you want and get software for free without having to fork over credit card info. windows 7 phone is a new os designed from the ground up. the only crapy thing is going to be people are going to have to learn how to mess with it. im ready to see microsoft introduce the new os.

Microsoft is estimating they'll sell 30 million Windows Phone 7 devices by the end of 2011, or in the next 18 months.
Or they will make the numbers say that, just like how Vista was such a great OS and selling like hot cakes.

G

They could do it if they get the best smartphone user experience + smooth multitasking along with some great handsets and a few killer apps ready at launch time. Unfortunately Android seems to be unstoppable already so this isn't going to be easy even with Microsoft level marketing clout.

G

As some have already pointed out, corporations will jump at seamless integration.......blah blah blah.

All of which will brand you as a corporate drone if you carry a Microsoft phone.

Like Windows Vista, people were forced to have it and spent extra to avoid it. I can see lots of people hiding their Microsoft phone out of office hours and carrying something a little cooler.

Cool advertising won't change that as we've seen that no Microsoft ad has ever been cool.

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
MS has actually acknowledged that the slide was wrong. IDC said MS would sell 30mil smart phones total by the end of 2011. That statistic includes 6.5 phones that are already on sale. Way to go MS for lying.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol, good luck with that. just as restrictive as the iphone.... and people already have the tried and tested iphone, or more feature rich Android (also more tried and tested) to choose from...

as far as I can tell... the only people you are going to tempt with this initially are xbox fanboys... (because of the XBL integration). I am completely not interested in buying something as restrictive as the iphone when I could go android instead.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]The secret is lots of hip advertising, just like Apple does.OTOH anybody with past WM phone experience will probably stay away from them. My current WM phone is not very impressive- it has a very slow browser, its gps doesn't work, it has a difficult menu system. The sound quality isn't too bad though.[/citation]Download a new browser, genius. Opera Mobile 10 is out, for one, and its not bad despite its flaws. If you have a 2G connection or a poor 3G connection, you can even turn on their Turbo feature which will compress pages and images.

remyj123

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]so many phones without MULTITASKING.[/citation]

I concur. I can afford the extra $30/month for a data plan but it just seems like a waste of money to me with wifi most everywhere I go. That $360/year saved can go towards many other things that are more important and more often used by me. On the other hand, if the wireless data plans were in the $9.99/month range, I would sign up tomorrow. I imagine there are quite a few folks who feel the same way.

totheshed

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Couldn't have said it better myself, Jane. Those phones suck.[/citation]

+1!

Haha I was seriously going to put that same quote in my comment and say that I couldn't have said it better myself. No joke

Status
Not open for further replies.