News Microsoft Will Disable Ups on Unsupported Windows 11 Installs

bkuhl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"However, the loss of Windows Update could be a crippling blow for those looking to update older systems. Naturally, it isn't feasible to re-install the operating system as each new update for the operating system is released, meaning it's an unuseful kludge to install via ISO if you plan to use the operating system for a personal rig. "

You would not need to re-install the operating system for each update, but you would need to be able to track the required updates from each patch cycle and apply the correct ones.
It never said it would block updates, just not apply them using the automatic update tool. This means the process would fall on the administrator of the desktop. And that is a daunting task....

Aaron44126

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
I believe the language from Microsoft is more along the lines of they "may" withhold updates, not they "will" withhold updates. No one quite knows how this is going to play out yet. The might disable access to updates, or they might just be covering for if they decide to block some or all updates in the future.

There is a nice little app called WSUS. I'm sure they will update it for windows 11 and you can just run that once a month to update and its all scripted based as well so you can run it on a schedule and have it update and then run the updates after. They say they just won't get updates, which I assume means windows updates won't work, not that you can't run the update manually.

On the bright side NO MORE RANDOM RESTARTS! So there is a silver lining to it XD

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not to mention the fact that if they try to cut it off, multiple someone's will quickly make a 3rd party tool that will grab the updates manually and apply them.

they exist for the other windows version and i have no doubt they will continue to exist for this version.

so really, this little "threat" only applies to those who don't know any better, will believe the fear mongering and will instead run out and buy a new machine

Apr 1, 2020
Here's the thing though. Microsoft is going to be heavily pushing a Windows 11 exclusive version of the Windows Store that's supposed to be much more attractive for developers to put their software on, because it's been a cesspool since it debuted, so Microsoft can make money instead of Steam and such and so Windows Store locked versions can have a decent selection of tested and secure apps to choose from.

Making Windows 11 unavailable for arbitrary reasons like lacking support for a TPM version and having a CPU that's more than 4 years old no only makes developers not want to put their wares in the Windows Store and reduces Microsoft's income, but it also adds another check on the list of things people hate about Windows.

It's a bad move all around, especially when you consider Microsoft continues to refuse to increase the requirements to decent levels, such as a 2ghz quad core, 8GB RAM, and 1920x1080 display, instead keeping it at 1ghz dual core, 4GB RAM, and 1280x720.

D

Deleted member 2783327

so, hacks and 3rd party workarounds aside, are we supposed to throw 10's of thousands of $$ of hardware in the bin and magically come up with more 10's of thousands of $$ to update all of our systems. I have 10 PCs here. With AU pricing I'd be looking at A$2,000 - A$3000 per machine for upgrades...

Man, I hate Microsoft.

USAFRet

Titan
so, hacks and 3rd party workarounds aside, are we supposed to throw 10's of thousands of $$ of hardware in the bin and magically come up with more 10's of thousands of $$ to update all of our systems. I have 10 PCs here. With AU pricing I'd be looking at A$2,000 - A$3000 per machine for upgrades...

Man, I hate Microsoft.
Who is "we"?
A company? Hardware upgrades are a regular operating cost.

Personal systems?
By the time Win 10 falls off support, any system will be a decade old.

And of course, there is always Linux.

Apr 1, 2020

Man, I hate Microsoft.

Plus you can still run Windows 10 after 2025. The biggest security risks these days come from application vulnerabilities and ransomware, not the OS hardware itself. Running Windows as an unprivileged user, keeping regular backups, and using common sense mitigates most of the risk of malware.

And like USAFRet, any system that's older then Kaby Lake and Zen 1 is already much slower than modern PCs, a good 50% or more slower than Ryzen 5000 series, perhaps more if your applications are impacted by Meltdown mitigations. And I don't see how you come up with $2000+ AUD in upgrades, a quick brows of jw.com.au brings up a number of possible Ryzen 3000, AMD 500 series chipset motherboards, and DDR4 for under $500.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Here's the thing though. Microsoft is going to be heavily pushing a Windows 11 exclusive version of the Windows Store that's supposed to be much more attractive for developers to put their software on, because it's been a cesspool since it debuted, so Microsoft can make money instead of Steam and such and so Windows Store locked versions can have a decent selection of tested and secure apps to choose from.

Making Windows 11 unavailable for arbitrary reasons like lacking support for a TPM version and having a CPU that's more than 4 years old no only makes developers not want to put their wares in the Windows Store and reduces Microsoft's income, but it also adds another check on the list of things people hate about Windows.

It's a bad move all around, especially when you consider Microsoft continues to refuse to increase the requirements to decent levels, such as a 2ghz quad core, 8GB RAM, and 1920x1080 display, instead keeping it at 1ghz dual core, 4GB RAM, and 1280x720.

Pretty much all of this is why Gabe Newell invested so heavily into Linux over the last decade+. He knew Microsoft would shore up that Windows store, anybody could have seen it coming. Steam is about to get Steamrolled.

Looks like Newell's foresight put him a decade ahead of the game. Where would Valve/Steam be at come this October or when Windows 11 finally releases had they not gotten the ball rolling ahead of time? Linux is right now a very decent gaming platform and that insurance policy of Gabe's is going to cash in real soon if all of this materializes.

Also, since the original WSUS Offline Update is no longer being maintained for some reason, someone made a fork on Github. It fetches updates from Microsoft's WSUS servers and allows you to update computers when Windows Update is not available, or when computers are offline. It should still be an option if Microsoft simply disables Windows Update.

aker@wsusoffline / WSUS Offline Update · GitLab
Ignoring Enterprise versions, WSUS was pretty well deprecated by W10 as it peer-loads updates and with the move away from on-prem servers - I've uninstalled WSUS on probably 50 customers in the last couple of years.

I'm sure it has a toehold for some scenarios, but I wouldn't rely on it forever.

Last edited:

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
That sounds like a positive to me. I've never used Windows auto update and I'm stocking up on some old gen used PCs as backups in case my Win7 computer fails. I can't beleive so many people are ok with Win10 not allowing you any choice to completely turn off (at least on Home edition) forced auto-updates, realtime virus scanning which could delete your important programs or cracks that you are sure are safe.
I know I'm in the minority here and this ain't gonna happen but I'd just love to see if everyone responded to this announcement by completely shunning anything but the ISO version and then selectively choosing what updates to manually install only after finding out what said updates actually do or are good for, like in the old days.

LAMINI

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
There is a nice little app called WSUS. I'm sure they will update it for windows 11 and you can just run that once a month to update and its all scripted based as well so you can run it on a schedule and have it update and then run the updates after. They say they just won't get updates, which I assume means windows updates won't work, not that you can't run the update manually.

On the bright side NO MORE RANDOM RESTARTS! So there is a silver lining to it XD

Beat me to it. No more random restarts. No more forced updates.

blackpearl1477

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
So Microsoft is playing the updates card. The only few reasons I'm still using Microsoft's OS is my wife doesn't know how to work with Linux and for my games outside steam. All other is solvable through different software or Linux version software.
I'm not really to upgrade while my hardware is still in good condition. Btw. What's in it for Microsoft when we all buy new hardware? I build my own system and I don't see a difference by transferring the os to a new build later on. I'm still rocking a old beast but I'm not ready to upgrade yet. As most people we have other bills that needs to be paid.
If Microsoft rather see me move towards Linux then they are doing a good job at it.