News Microsoft will end Windows 10 support in exactly one year

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
It's such a pity that Linux distros/desktops are still behind Windows - and what after they've been doing, that's saying something!!

The easiest user experience for the "normal" computer user I've come across so far is Deepin and ZorinOS. Got any better suggestions?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I installed Kubuntu not that long ago. For a Windows replacement, it does alright. Plasma GUI is pretty straightforward, at least for surface stuff. I haven't really dove too deep.

I was just really tired of my Windows 10 installation trying and failing to update itself to Windows 11. Compatible hardware, but the OS started life as Windows 7 and it wasn't configured for Windows 11 requirements. So I just popped in a new drive and started using it with Linux.

At some point I will get around to putting it on my gaming box to see how that goes. I think I will do that when I do my silly Battlemage 'upgrade'

Jul 12, 2024
Does this EoL involve all Win10 builds? I don't recall there being a single deadline. The latest build would get the longest support, so is the article about that? It's pretty vague, to be honest.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I believe paid support is still an option beyond 2025. An increasing annual cost for up to three years.

And Windows Enterprise often sees even longer extended support contract availability.

DS426

Upstanding
May 15, 2024
Windows 10 21H2 Enterprise LTSC has an EOL of January 12, 2027. I'm sure many organizations will have at least some of these (ours has one already), but for the average consumer, it's not the easiest license to acquire.

0patch and Linux sound like the best alternatives to me if buying a new Windows 11 PC isn't an option.