Microsoft Windows 1.01 Turns 27 Years Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Apple's legal hounds eventually came knocking on Microsoft's doors, saying that Windows 2.0 violated copyright law by using the same icons found on Apple's Macintosh OS.

So Apple is a b****y lawsuit troll for over two decades? LOL

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Even as a boy, I remember all of the feedback against GUI's. My father, said that it was "over-complicating a simple process to make it accessible..... anyone who should use a computer would take the time to LEARN how to use it...". Of course, that old man is a chemical engineer, so I'm not sure how much weight I would give to his argument.

Still, I've said it time and time again - Whether you like it or not, change is going to happen. GUI's should evolve. What we consider normal should be challenged. Then again, I'm a proponent of "progress for the sake of progress". There are always going to be people who resist change, whether it's minor like the start menu, a kernel revision, or a completely new operating system.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]So Apple is a b****y lawsuit troll for over two decades? LOL[/citation]

Ummm... Maybe they're not "trolling" but winning cases because they have actual patents for over 30 years and your knowledge of actual business, law and computing needs to be revised.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Win = 3^3 :)

I know, it's silly, but what is 27 PC years in human years seeing that the generation cycle of Hardware seems to be in the 6 month range, even shorter with browsers, and a bit longer for OSes.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]Even as a boy, I remember all of the feedback against GUI's. My father, said that it was "over-complicating a simple process to make it accessible..... anyone who should use a computer would take the time to LEARN how to use it...". Of course, that old man is a chemical engineer, so I'm not sure how much weight I would give to his argument.Still, I've said it time and time again - Whether you like it or not, change is going to happen. GUI's should evolve. What we consider normal should be challenged. Then again, I'm a proponent of "progress for the sake of progress". There are always going to be people who resist change, whether it's minor like the start menu, a kernel revision, or a completely new operating system.[/citation]

I recall in the history books...:

A British company turned down the telegram, figuring that messenger boys were sufficient.

Western Union, formerly a telegram company, turned down the telephone invention.

The first cars often generated panic. Illinois still has an unrepealed law from like the late 19th century or very early 20th century that required all motorists to call the police station before arriving at their town. Though I don't think it has been enforced for decades.

Early movies were considered sinful, regardless of what theme they had or etc.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
EDIT: And let's not forget about the concept of "Earth is not the center of the universe" that resulted in at least one house arrest and tons of book burning.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]So Apple is a b****y lawsuit troll for over two decades? LOL[/citation]
I seem to remember a certain sign-on sound being called "sosueme".

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Windows 1.01 looks more usable than Metro.[/citation]

Good luck finding drivers and software for Windows 1. I'm pretty sure it would only recognize one core.

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

This is a disaster. Paramount didn't have network to air this on in 1987. TNG was in syndication :p

G

It seems strange that Windows 1 was criticized in 1983 for being similar to the Macintosh, which, as we've all seen the commercial, arrived in 1984.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Spycho[/nom]It seems strange that Windows 1 was criticized in 1983 for being similar to the Macintosh, which, as we've all seen the commercial, arrived in 1984.[/citation]

The apple Lisa had a GUI and came out in 1983 two months before Windows 1.01.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Good luck finding drivers and software for Windows 1. I'm pretty sure it would only recognize one core.[/citation]
woosh.....
right over your head

G

Amiga (OS) back then was way more powerful than Mac and PC combined.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I'm working from memory, and it has been a long time, but Microsoft bought DOS from a micro computer maker in Seattle. I don't remember their name but "Seattle" was in it. The computer that they built was based on a Texas Instruments microprocessor named something like the TMS 9900. And the TMS 9900 had the same instruction set as the Texas Instruments 990 mini computer. It was a 16 bit instruction set. It turns out that the Seattle computer company had just taken CPM (Control Program for Microcomputers) from Digital Research which was an 8 bit operating system, and adapted it to their 16 bit microcomputer.

So anyway Microsoft DOS 1.0 (I'm not sure about 1.01) had the Digital Research copyright information still in it.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I started with 2.0 and remember having to build fonts through a software application which took hours. That was the alternative to purchasing HP font cartridges which were quite expensive back then...

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
" The 16-bit platform wasn't revealed to the public until just over two years later, on November 10, 1983, then renamed as "Microsoft Windows". The initial feedback stemming from the beta's introduction wasn't overly positive, as critics insisted the new platform was too similar to Apple's own Macintosh platform."

Ummm, how did 'critics' know what was similar to the Macintosh platform in 1983? The Mac wasn't released until 1985!

Status
Not open for further replies.