Microsoft: Xbox One Delivers "Thousands of Dollars of Value"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redeemer

Distinguished

And this is the whole point the PS4 offers nothing else but gaming, not to say that's a bad thing. PSN is horrible, and now we have to pay for PSN+ if we want to multi-player on the PS4! Security is bad and the latest firmware has been reported to brick consoles. Sony makes incredible hardware but they lack on software hopefully the PS4 can compete with XBL in that regard

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Apparently the consumer is just wrong. Microsoft obviously knows what we want better than us. Geez guys. Thus far in the past 12 months, MS has flubbed 3 major projects because they absolutely refused to listen to their customers...
Windows 8 - Surface - Xbox One launch
The roman empire will eventually run out of money

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
xbox one will deliver thousands of dollars of value.... to microsoft, developers, and ISPs. starting with the $100 price premium over ps4, $60 every time a used game purchase is replaced with a new one (supposedly), and then $10-100 for everyone who will have to buy or upgrade their internet package so their xbox can phone home every day!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57590134-75/microsoft-pulls-a-180-rescinds-xbox-one-connection-requirement/

Microsoft has pulled all DRM and online requirements, including 2nd hand games, a full and complete reversal as you wanted - now will all the hates, now you got what you wanted, please just shut the f**k up?

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
My left hand and my right armpit deliver hours of entertainment value also. Seriously MS, drop the mandatory Kinect option and $100 bucks off the price and I am sure your fans will line up. Does anyone know if you have to hook up the Kinect camera or could you leave it disconnected?

Skeebo06

Honorable
May 24, 2013
I'm probably not going to get either, but I see this argument missing a big piece of the puzzle.

The big publishers (hell even the small ones) have wanted strong DRM for years for their games. MS and Sony don't give two shits about Gamestop and used game trading.

So when you see MS not apologizing for their strong DRM practices and trotting out the AAA game producers for their conference and then you've got Sony pimping the Indie (haven't made it big yet) developers and telling the consumers that they will not have as strong of DRM practices... It should tell you something about which side the majority of cash flows for game development are going to go.

But on Sony, how quickly everyone forgets all the shit they pulled over the course of the PS3's life cycle... anyone still got a running copy of Linux on one of those? Or how this is the same company that stealth installed DRM malware on your computer? Who really believes the stated policies for the PS4 won't be modified the moment Sony thinks they can?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Well when you stack that poll with Wiiu sales spot up 220% (~390th) the first time they released bad news, then up 875% (40th) after saying no used games & 24hr check in, it adds up to REALITY.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Poor-Reception-Blasts-Wii-U-Sales-By-220-56021.html

I'd say that poll is PRETTY accurate. Many are disgusted by Sony (all the hacks, lost accounts etc, bad policy vs. customers previously etc) and were apparently waiting on the next xbox. When that failed they just went and bought the latest they could get their hands on (wiiu). Microsoft just keeps releasing one red flag after another on their xbox1. This will be the worst console seller of this gen. If you REALLY can't read the writing on the wall you are not paying attention. It wasn't just USERS who shot those numbers up. On top of those you had actual sites saying MS sucks too. So you have major bad publicity on top of customers feeling betrayed, on top of making TV the seemingly biggest thing on xbox1 (sony meanwhile showed GAMES, MS shows TV...LOL - It's GAMES first silly, everything else 2nd etc). Review sites were baffled by the TV centric E3 terrible show. It's a console for games right? MS apparently has forgotten this. I think many devs just wrote this console off which is why MS has to fund games themselves with a Billion :)

I don't want or need a kinect. So not a bonus and I think most would agree (based on unit sales vs. xbox360 sales, not a lot of sales on kinect and even less used in games). I also don't want a machine that's possibly LISTENING or WATCHING me in my house and a console phoning home info daily...LOL. They delayed the asia version so they could make it SEE the smaller room better for their types of housing...WTF? It's watching me too? Used games can't be clarified with better info, they said NO USED GAMES. Game over. It's clear.

Sony is cashing in on BS info here though, as they will be allowing devs to block them all also. But that doesn't change Microsoft's problems. It's just means both are useless :) PC and Mobile gaming are about to surge to new heights and consoles are dead. TV crap means nothing when most of us have a bluray, xbox360, roku, ps4 etc that already play movies from netflix etc and have no need for that side of these boxes. ONLY sony themselves said they won't block their OWN titles, but yes devs will.

"The Amazon poll doesn't really mean shit...sounds like its a bunch of disgruntled 12 year old gamers that are pissed at Microsoft."

Spoken just like a disgruntled 12yr old executive who refuses to LISTEN to his customers until it's too late and he's out of business :)

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

PS4's GPU is ~50% more capable than XBox One's. That's not a trivial difference.

Whether the difference will matter in practice is a different question. It's possible, for example, that most cross-platform games will be developed with the lowest common factor in mind. It's also possible, and probably more likely, that because the two new consoles use nearly identical architecture, that every game will simply look better on PS4. (Xbox one gets normal quality settings; PS4 gets "console Ultra").

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Now I know they focused their E3 conference on gamers, but to say that it offers nothing else but gaming? What are you talking about? Streaming services, etc. are all there, uploading videos, sharing, a facebook like gamercard, etc.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Hey Mattrick:

The saying goes "under promise, over deliver"... M$ has that exactly backward right now. That's why Windows 8 is sinking your company and Sony PWN3D you at E3.

redeemer

Distinguished

Now we come to Sony..how well are they doing again?? Sure MS has had its fair share of flops this happens when you try to be bold, changes to try something new.

redeemer

Distinguished

theoretically the 7970 is much more powerful than the GTX 680! There is barely a difference in the realworld!

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Yes and the Playstation 4 also delivers thosands of dollars of value. Playstation as a hardware already costs more than the XBOX One would. Whatever Microsoft has Sony will have something ready to relate to.

Gunzar

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
At first, I thought for sure that the xbox would have better hardware. It seems microsoft wold opt for that. However, upon further discovery, the specs are pretty much EXACTLY the same, which means everything here is based software side. When you consider that xbox live is $10 (could definitely increase) while the playstation network cost is free, plus the playstation delivers the same hardware for $100 less, you really start to see a difference.
Again, the hardware is the same. The difference here is the hardware and cost after getting the console. In my opinion, the Playstation has already won.

Gunzar

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
At first, I thought for sure that the xbox would have better hardware. It seems microsoft wold opt for that. However, upon further discovery, the specs are pretty much EXACTLY the same, which means everything here is based software side. When you consider that xbox live is $10 (could definitely increase) while the playstation network cost is free, plus the playstation delivers the same hardware for $100 less, you really start to see a difference.
Again, the hardware is the same. The difference here is the hardware and cost after getting the console. In my opinion, the Playstation has already won.

kewlmunky

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Stating this beforehand so I don't get bashed for fanboyism. I'm a PC gamer who owns both a 360 and a PS3.

The xbox one comes with kinect, which is a motion controller, visual sensor, and audio sensor. This package is $500.

The PS4 comes by itself for $400 and the eye is an extra $60.

So for those who want the PS4 and the eye it's $460 vs $500. Though I really hate that you have to have the kinect to use the xbox one.

kewlmunky

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Stating this beforehand so I don't get bashed for fanboyism. I'm a PC gamer who owns both a 360 and a PS3.

The xbox one comes with kinect, which is a motion controller, visual sensor, and audio sensor. This package is $500.

The PS4 comes by itself for $400 and the eye is an extra $60.

So for those who want the PS4 and the eye it's $460 vs $500. Though I really hate that you have to have the kinect to use the xbox one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS