Microsoft Yanks Windows 7 Download Tool

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]Just download HP's free USB tool. It'll put any CD/DVD/Floppy on a USB stick. Boots and loads just fine.[/citation]
Problem is you still need an optical drive to put the disk onto the USB, which does nothing for netbook users. Think download.

G

@SKITTLE, you are either NOT a programmer or not a smart one at that, so you shouldn't chime in on your knowledge, or lack there of, on such a topic. Are you just a M$ fanboy?

Everybody codes things differently, and not any two programs that perform the same thing should be coded EXACTLY the same way. Where many people get in trouble with is copying THE LOGIC! What do I mean by that? Every friggen Object creation, variable creation, logical statements, FOR-LOOP, condition checks, everything is pretty much all done in the same order! That is IMPOSSIBLE unless the source code was used or referenced! SHAME ON MICROSUCKS! Any programmer or smart person can see or even has had their code used in this manner without their permission! ***This is just too many lines of code with the same steps in logic...

Ironic I must say! M$ hates open source software and yet this is what?...the 3rd time I have seen M$ take from the FOSS community and slap their own license on it? What would they do after that? Say that ImageMaster stole M$'s idea? I am sure that M$ is doing an INVESTIGATION on ways of better techniques for concealing others' code as their own...

G

@papasmurf
"If the source code was not offered publicly by Microsoft how did this guy look at it? Some sort of disassembler?"

Yes, and the like. There was an old program back in the day called SoftICE that basically took apart code, and you could debug it right up to the point of serial authentication and reverse that to get a working key or as many keys as you would like. You could do things as to "edit" the code and bypass the authentication...and in some sense that's how cracks work

G

I love how my messages always get cut off short when it gets posted! I continued to say that I loosely explained myself so that those not so tech-savvy would understand my explanations.

@justafewords
I haven't looked much into this so called anti-reverse-engineering software that microsoft has out to help protect those programs you write using their compilers. I don't know much about it but my guess is they are trying to alleviate that program...but then again I'm not quite sure. It's kind of funny...this article makes me remember the time when people said that they would write their JavaScript code NOT in their HTML/PHP/whatever pages but in .js files so that people couldn't view their code...how long did that 'security' last? hahaha! Yes people still do and I still do for code organization purposes but I just still found that a little amusing...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Is there a cost differance between the Windows version that you can download to a USB stick and a retail copy that you buy in store.

If they were making people pay extra for using an open source software then I can see an issue.

If not then it shouldn't matter if they use an open source software or not, and if they object to people using their open source software they shouldn't have made it free to use in the first place.

/rant

G

@M$losers:
Haha, yeah, any client-side scripting is fair game for copying. All you can rely on is the honor system. However, it really is better that way. That last thing you want is for websites to be transmitting binaries to your browser to execute or decrypt. Fortunately most of the good JavaScript libraries are licensed under LGPL, MIT, or Apache, so they can be used for almost anything.

G

@back_by_demand

I don't think you understand the term "license". M$ didn't obey the terms of the open source software license. M$ used code, then slapped their own license on it saying that it's theirs. Doesn't matter if M$ wasn't trying to make money on it. How would you like it if you created something and someone came along and copied it and then claimed it as their own idea? Probably why there are licenses and patents out there huh? If M$ had obeyed the license then this article wouldn't have been written huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.