News Microsoft's Automatic Super Resolution arrives to improve gaming performance — Auto SR serves as an upscaler similar to Nvidia DLSS and AMD FSR

This would have to be better than the vendor agnostic version of XeSS or FSR to really make sense given most games that would need upscaling already have one or both. I could certainly see where that would be the case, but it will be interesting to see later in the year when AMD/Intel have SoCs that meet the Copilot+ requirements if it expands beyond Arm.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
lol I'll gladly miss out on built-in upscaler over having Microsoft now use AI to data mine me.

The Snapdragon processor is impressive for what it is but barely seems to be getting 30fps in many games.
They need to prove this tech works outside of ARM before convoncing Copilot+ is the future and thus granting a pass to the upscaler.

sfjuocekr

Prominent
Jan 19, 2023
Nobody needs upscaling, it always looks bad and displays temporal artifacts that are more distracting.

Especially on small 720p or 1080p screens... nobody needs upscaling.

Nov 3, 2023
Nobody needs upscaling, it always looks bad and displays temporal artifacts that are more distracting.

Especially on small 720p or 1080p screens... nobody needs upscaling.

are you kidding? res scaling is AWESOME at those resolutions when it's a small screen size. someone needs to play with a Steam Deck a little bit, it sounds like

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Individual sales of Windows licenses is far far down the profit line of what MS brings in.

I do not believe we have the published numbers of Microsoft's advertisement revenue from all of the ads they are embedding into Windows itself. Not yet. But new ARM machines will mean more (embedded) advertisements for Microsoft too. Let's not forget that either as they continue to emulate Google's data mining model.

USAFRet

Titan
I do not believe we have the published numbers of Microsoft's advertisement revenue from all of the ads they are embedding into Windows itself. Not yet. But new ARM machines will mean more (embedded) advertisements for Microsoft too. Let's not forget that either as they continue to emulate Google's data mining model.
Ad revenue is different than profit from license sales.
That ad revenue would happen in either case.

Feb 2, 2024
Art and technology are very different things. Art is what results from illdefined innate ability/skills and passion, selective pressures, survival, unique environment and cultural pressures and circumstances, etc.
Technology advancements dont really lead to art, not by itself. Todays technology is so advanced, and Art today is so stagnate. Technology has done wonders in making very few people disgustingly rich, while neglecting the stagnation and complete lack of innovation. AI like many of the sad things humans invent is just lipstick on a pig, its like fast food, its just mass produced and very easy to produce, and very popular, but it tastes bland.
Its no Art, it doesn't make gaming good, its really just a last ditch effort for when your frame rate is poor and your in a situation where you cant finish that AAA mainstream game with 30fps.
Games devs nowadays dont need to rely on actual skill, they have these game engines that do all the work for them. The fear of AI upscaling is its going to take away our rights to run games are true native res, all these new techs are stripping away our rights.