News Microsoft's Copilot+ PC exclusive features are a bad joke, even for AI fans

the only "useful" one might of been the translating live...but how well it works and how "live" is likely too bad to be useful for its uses.

I'd want a translation of say a live video stream in another language (as this widens what a person can watch be it educational streams, media consumption, etc) but I doubt it would work fast enough to make that a good experience.

The only thing I truly wish for AI is to overcome the language barrier.

Reactions: cyrusfox

MBOO7

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
More like what an useless product. Competition is good for customers, but if you want to go for ARM, just wait out until most things are sorted out and price fall further. Current prices are just unreasonable and there are enough alternatives for whatever case that you have in mind. Dont play early adopter on a perceived still beta product and that for a premium price!
Those prices will come down faster than you could ask for - and this is a pretty safe bet.
There are no real wow benefits as the author tried to mention.
The product is okayish but just absolutely unreasonably priced for what it "delivers" or not delivers.
You dont need to be a magician to see that at this price level this will be a MSI Claw ish shopkeeper.

Reactions: vijosef

NinoPino

Respectable
May 26, 2022
If ARM isn't more efficient with Windows then what is the point? A different product that doesn't work as well?
The battery life looks like Meteor Lake.
It is more efficient. Actually 2-3 hours of difference. Not revolutionary but relevant. And the hope is that if Microsoft believes in it, we can get decent products.

NinoPino

Respectable
May 26, 2022
Another copy-paste article that add nothing to what said on other recent articles on the same argument.
And my personal feeling is that all the new laptops with Qualcomm SOCs are only superficialy covered with little details on compatibility and performance and without a proper review.
Where are the benchmarks comparing directly new laptops vs x86 on various applications ? Where are direct power/performance comparisons vs x86 ?
I am wrong ? Or I am missing something ?

Last edited:
What about today? If you find the longer battery life, the future potential of the powerful NPU or just the look and feel of an individual Snapdragon-powered, Copilot+ laptop appealing, it could be for you.

Don't forget the elephant in the room: How long will Microsoft embrace ARM? If AMD and Intel are able to match and even exceed ARM's x86 battery life and performance per watt benefits and at a much lower price without the potential drawbacks of ARM, like compatibility, then what sense does an ARM based Windows laptop make?

Microsoft and Qualcomm need to do an immediate about face and target Snapdragon laptops at the sub-$1000 market, the Macbook Air market, where x86 Windows laptops make the most compromises and the most important aspects are battery life and smooth performance.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

Psiboy69

Commendable
Dec 5, 2021
Microsoft is trying to get you to buy a Copilot+ PC based on three exclusive Windows features that nobody wants or needs.

Microsoft's Copilot+ PC exclusive features are a bad joke, even for AI fans : Read more
I get the paint thing is poor especially the need to censor (or share your creative processess with certain agencies). But the camera feature like the background blur are actually pretty good when taken in context. It;s mimicking a camera for a portrait phot NOT a web meeting! So the author missed the point on that one.

I alos disagree with the author on the live captions feature. He has only compared it to services tht already have captioning. A LOT of youtube videos have ZERO captioning as do other sites! Also if you are video conferencing with somoene who speaks a foreign kanguage it has a lot of potebtial there too!

As for application compatability, that was always going to be a problem with a different architecture real time translaions for some of the code from x86 to arm are more than likely happening as I doubt the entire OS is engineered from the ground up for arm. I imagine commercial users will steer well clear of arm devices until all the compatability is ironed out. Gamers would always be well advised to steer clear of Windows on Arm, at least for now.

There has also been some chatter in the privacy focused community about the potential for NPU's to be a new backdoor or tool for "3 letter agencies". For your own opinion there but I'm inclined to agree, if only for the fact that when new tech rushed to market security is usually an afterthought.

Bikki

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
What ripoff for 3 hours of battery... just buy a intel notebook and a powerbank save 900 us dollars
Check all the reviews and even better, order from a venue with return policy to try it for yourself. As far as I know, this not evolution but revolutional product.

Bikki

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
gGrDFpVZgev6LXTUMTW8SV-970-80.jpg
Guys it is extreamly good. Check the graph, it is first vendor benchmark but generally it held true with reviews. It only uses 30% of power to get to intel performance, and 2x performance at same power. This will take intel years to play catching up.

Last edited:

Bikki

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
The article is great on the progress of AI in microsoft eco system. The promise was that we can interact freely with every window and all apps via AI assistant. Like telling it to turn off windows update and boom, done! We're not there yet, Apple may get ahead with "Apple Intelligence", we'll see.

Amdlova

Distinguished
Check all the reviews and even better, order from a venue with return policy to try it for yourself. As far as I know, this not evolution but revolutional product.
Don't trust the paid reviews, Qualcomm is bad like others company.

Even free I will do not use this arm product...
Got the phone for that. For desktop experience I will go with old x86 or a Mac device...

The samsung says the s23 can last two days of batery and I say can't last five hours... And I have the gen 1 and gen 2. That 3 hours of batery for me don't say nothing only a gimmick to catch dum. People.

Bikki

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Don't trust the paid reviews, Qualcomm is bad like others company.

Even free I will do not use this arm product...
Got the phone for that. For desktop experience I will go with old x86 or a Mac device...

The samsung says the s23 can last two days of batery and I say can't last five hours... And I have the gen 1 and gen 2. That 3 hours of batery for me don't say nothing only a gimmick to catch dum. People.
The evil is in the detail, 2 days battery for *typical work load* and we all know that is local video loop. Manufacture will not to put heavy stuff like gaming in there and make their devices look bad.

KnightShadey

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
M$ still seems to have no idea how to market this with the practical/useful features they already have in Copilot for Office, and instead focuses on the fluff everyone already does. 🙃

These 3 features here all are more likely to get the reaction "yeah, I've already been able to do all that on my Google/Samsung phone last year."
Also studio filters on webcam isn't as important to most as laptops finally getting cell- phone calibre selfie-cams instead of the mostly 720P standard now, which still has only a a few at 1080P, let alone any with tracking features like on current tablets.

That all of them will have intrusive M$ censoring/snooping just makes it even less interesting. 🤨

Nicholas Steel

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2015
Just create malware that:

* Logs everything you type
* Periodically takes screenshots
* Performs OCR on the screenshots to convert text in the image to text in a text file

have it store the captured data locally (instead of on a remote server) and bam, you've recreated Recall without the need for "AI".

vijosef

Proper
Feb 26, 2024
I've read plenty of science fiction about AI and robots. In these, writers imagined all kind of scenarios and circumstances. Not one of them had a journalist complaining that the AI only drew a cat instead of a cat driving a car :D