Microsoft's High-Tech Crusade Against Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Champion
This is the type of piracy that really needs to be stopped. It's the one that actually hurts software companies' income. Where those who deliberately pirate software can argue that they would never have paid for it anyway and thus it is not a lost sale, counterfeit software is often paid for. The customer is willing to pay money and that money went elsewhere. That's a lost sale. People who pay for a product have a reasonable expectation that they are getting a genuine product. Dodgy system builders, who often install pirated copies of software and sell it with their overpriced gaming PCs on eBay, need to be locked up along with these factory owners.

@dragunover: since the counterfeited software is also cracked and illegitimately copied, it's both:
- cracking of legitimate software (piracy)
- distribution of illegitimate copies (piracy)
- lookalike distribution media (counterfeiting)
- lookalike ancillaries: booklets, certificates of authenticities (counterfeiting)

Torrent-based piracy is small-scale, generates no revenue for the guy distributing copies (except those selling passwords to encrypted archives, but that's marginal) and even has a tendency to increase revenue for the original content's editor (those who download stuff would probably not have bought the content at all, and may end up buying the real thing after trying it); counterfeited pirated software, on the other hand, deceives the buyer who may then think he has the genuine article - and is, instead, ripped off. So, it hurts the original editor and the final user, and has a purpose of generating illegal revenue.

Keep in mind that software piracy was counterfeiting with the intend to sell illegal copies first and foremost; it's only when content editors started shouting 'Pirates! Pirates!' at everybody who made a copy of their content that some groups, tongue-in-cheek, started calling themselves 'pirates' instead of 'crackers' (the major difference is that crackers always advertised that the version they distribute is not genuine, that the crack was made because they enjoyed both the challenge and the software, and that if you liked it, you should buy the original).

rohitbaran

Distinguished
They can track it on optical disks, but how are they stop p2p networks? MAFIAA has tried again and again but bitten dust. They want to reduce piracy? I suggest they lower their prices to more reasonable levels at least in poorer countries which could attract customers because of the support legal software comes with.

randomizer

Champion

Stopping P2P networks is not their aim. They are trying to protect would-be legitimate customers from buying counterfeit software. Well, to be more precise, they are trying to protect their revenue streams from these customers :)

It's been shown several times that lowering prices doesn't stop P2P piracy, so don't bother bringing up that point. Some people pirate because they can, and that's it. Of course they come up with every justification under the sun but in the end it's really because it's so easy. I have more respect for those who admit to piracy for honest reasons and not some fanciful dream about sticking it to the man or being so poor that they can't afford to buy a copy of Windows for their $2000 gaming rig :lol:

tomas_gajan

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Stopping P2P networks is not their aim. They are trying to protect would-be legitimate customers from buying counterfeit software. Well, to be more precise, they are trying to protect their revenue streams from these customers It's been shown several times that lowering prices doesn't stop P2P piracy, so don't bother bringing up that point. Some people pirate because they can, and that's it. Of course they come up with every justification under the sun but in the end it's really because it's so easy. I have more respect for those who admit to piracy for honest reasons and not some fanciful dream about sticking it to the man or being so poor that they can't afford to buy a copy of Windows for their $2000 gaming rig[/citation]

Thats simply not true.., i think, that for somebody, who lives in a normal/rich country, it is hard to imagine, that when you make 500Euros a Month, and that is a pretty good Wage, where i live (Slovakia), that then you are not able to spend 50Euro on a Game. If ti would cost 10-15 Euro, then i am sure, that at least here, it would lower the Piracy tremendously. 2000 Dollars gaming Rig?..thats just a myth, i for example have a Computer, in wich i invest annually around 300 Euro, and still can play all Games, at maximum Settings, (Phenom IIX4 965. 4GB Ram, HD 5870), and i never had to pay 2000 Dolars for it....

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kikireeki[/nom]I bet The amount of money they spend on these campaigns, is much more than the loss due to piracy.[/citation]
Epic fail
It may seem like overkill, but the unit has been successful on several occasions. BW reports that in 2007, Microsoft helped Chinese authorities take down a syndicate that had generated $2 billion in fake Microsoft products.
So this one was $2 billion saved, plus all the others that they take down.

Yup, that's a good way to go about it, for the first time I think some of the agencies have shown some sense in their MOI. But it makes me wonder, since tracing will go to the stamping machines, and since that is the problem, the counterfeiters are just going to go back to writers, thereby increasing computer an duplicators sales....
Wonder which one would be easier to stop.... 10 Stamping machines dishing out 1 Million disc in 10 days, or 15000 Duplicators placed all over 200000 sq kms???

[citation][nom]tomas_gajan[/nom]Thats simply not true..[/citation]
If this is true, why do people pirate music that you can get for $9.99? People will pirate because they can. Until they get nailed with harsh punishment they will continue.

As for using your countries economy as an excuse: If you do not have the money for it do not buy computer games, the latest MS products, etc. In any case, i do think they adjust the prices to be relative to the average wages percentage-wise.

$1500 - 2000 is a good reference number for a completely rebuilt high end gaming rig. Since you only upgrade your costs will be less, but so then will your performance.

randomizer

Champion

Why would it? That's 10-15 Euros more than a pirated copy. Now I'm not saying that games aren't overpriced in general because they are. You use Windows for 3-5 years and yet it costs only 2-3x what many AAA games cost while the games provide 5 hours of gameplay and repetitive multiplayer for another 100 hours or so. But I don't believe for one second that lower prices would make a significant difference to piracy rates.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Stopping P2P networks is not their aim. They are trying to protect would-be legitimate customers from buying counterfeit software. Well, to be more precise, they are trying to protect their revenue streams from these customers It's been shown several times that lowering prices doesn't stop P2P piracy, so don't bother bringing up that point. Some people pirate because they can, and that's it. Of course they come up with every justification under the sun but in the end it's really because it's so easy. I have more respect for those who admit to piracy for honest reasons and not some fanciful dream about sticking it to the man or being so poor that they can't afford to buy a copy of Windows for their $2000 gaming rig[/citation]
I am talking about poorer developing countries here. Rings a bell? They don't have $2000 gaming rigs. Even games from developers like EA are sold at half their USA prices in some countries. I was talking on these lines.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Make games cost $10 euros in poor countries then ppl like me will just ship games from there. Why would I pay $50 cad or usd here when I can pay 10 euros plus 5-10 shipping?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]Yes and these costs are passed onto the consumer, another reason to use Linux.[/citation]
Because Linux users dont torrent files or duplicate disks?
A little naive?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Microsoft is better off tolerating piracy because it'll tie the users in with Windows. The more users use Windows (legal or otherwise) the better it is for Microsoft.

randomizer

Champion

And guess what, they still get pirated. Why? Because free is cheaper than half price. There's nearly always alternative software which is free (libre), you don't always need the expensive stuff.

Anyway, this article is about counterfeit software which can never be justified.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
everyone including software companies a sk yourself this: If the whole world was stuck with dial up, would piracy still be easy?

G

"2000 Dollars gaming Rig?..thats just a myth"

I have 900.00 bucks just in water cooling and 1500.00 just in video cards. Then lets talk about the 300.00 MB and the 700.00 ram or wait the 800.00 hd and the 650.00 ssd??? How can you say a 2000 gaming rig is a myth?

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
ok, maybe what he meant to say is 2000 dollar gaming rigs are a waste of money since you begin to hit severely diminishing returns at the 1500$ mark.

Also, 900$ in water cooling? Seriously? Unless you are using Swagelok or some other high end 316L compression fittings then you got severely ripped off. Hell even then that is crazy expensive. Just run 10 feet of tubing or so to a bomb tied to a recip pump and trace it with glass insulating tape. I guess if you bought some ridiculous pump to push it then you could hit 900$.

randomizer

Champion
The $2000 was (so I thought) an obvious exaggeration to make a point. If you can afford a decent computer at all then you can afford the software to go with it. If not, there's usually alternatives which cost nothing at all.

shovenose

Distinguished
[citation][nom]xantek24[/nom]everyone including software companies a sk yourself this: If the whole world was stuck with dial up, would piracy still be easy?[/citation]
DONT EVEN GIVE EM THAT IDEA.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I think, there mast be a law that obligate all households to pay 50$/year to Microsoft. Even if Microsoft products are not used (BBC does so).

Status
Not open for further replies.