Microsoft's Internet Explorer 9, Dissected

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I was about to blast the article for unacceptable grammatical errors, until I remembered that this was, in fact, translated from Russian...

TOM's, you are given the benefit of, well... Lazyness I guess, I had to rewrite the text in my head before I could understand it.

I've been enjoying the hardware-acceleration in Firefox for a while now, and I just now got around to flipping the switches in my Chrome browser. I think the page rendering is really only a perceived speed-up, but the video acceleration is noticeable on older hardware. :p

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Mr Pizza[/nom]still, ew[/citation]Don't let your preconceived notions about a browser stop you from trying it out! A wise man once said, "Know your enemy..." ;)

thartist

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Official? yes
Final? of course not
Near final? not even close
Lame old draft from a some time ago, suitable for teasing leaks or tests without risking the actual design? indeed
And despite such obvious thing, could the masses ever believe THAT sh't could in any universe be the final UI? indeed, that's what happened.

I think the best thing to come from IE9, and possibly FF$, is H.264 support. It will help us move back away from Flash that has gotten just slow as crap.

In the time it takes me to load a 5 minute clip on Youtube in standard def, I can download a DVD quality 700MB+ movie.

Hopefully we will see this more often so we can actually utilize a high speed internet connection.

I can't wait for IE9. Not because I think it wil be great, no. I can't wait for flash to die off. Years ago I used to think flash was great but it is now one of the most buggy and slowest part of browsing the web these days.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
What I would like is a wizard to transfer everything from FF to IE9 including cookies and passwords.

jimmysmitty surely there's something wrong on your side, I can watch any video on yt - even in 1080 - instantly with no problem, and flash has hardware acceleration now so it doesn't even eat up the cpu. (20% load on 1080)

ares1214

Splendid
I usually just forget about IE, but this one seems to be shaping up decently. Personally, i like the speed and lightness of chrome, speed and security/stability of opera (and integrated speed dial), and the add ons with fire fox. I also dont like how google chrome can be a bit volatile and shaky, Opera eats resources like nothing else, and firefox has a less polished look, and isnt as fast once you put on all the add ons to make it so good. IE8...well i hate everything about it, but this looks like it can actually challenge *current* browsers. Not so sure about all the new betas coming out like Opera 10.70, FF 4, Chrome...8? No idea what we are on for that one, but all the same.

It looks very much promising.. The features look impressive, the UI looks scenic.. It may be little short on features for now but i guess we've to wait for the final release to give a verdict on that.. I've always liked IE (post ver. 6 of course).. Only recently did Chrome made me move away from it.. BTW, am a little surprised as to how fast compatibility with HTML5 is becoming a must have feature..

dooa

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I quit using IE when my son demonstrated a takeover website. It took him 15 minutes to code and when I went there my computer was his. Firefox with NoScript can be quirky, but at least it will not do anything to automatically infect my computer.
I cannot imagine IE9 being any different; more "features" less secure.

ares1214

Splendid
Although overall, MAXTHON 3 FTW! :lol: But it just beat chrome in a speed test, has the compatibility of IE, security of opera, and customizability of FF (the latest version did, 3 is a beta, so it doesnt yet)

G

I think u need only two layers of tool bars. One of url/search and other for tabs.No title or status bars. u can have single click button like fav/check website/min/max in any of the tool bars. And for complete management , u can open up a TAB and use the full real estate.

THE BROWSER SHOULD NOT HAVE MORE THAN TWO TOOLBARS!!!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Darkv1[/nom]Didn't IE finally die when we buried IE6 a few months back?[/citation]
Err, no?
Reports of IE's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
Thing is, MS can't win with some people no matter what they do, you one section of the cheap-seats that say "We want it to be more like Firefox", then anything they do is met with another section of the cheap-seats saying "You are just copying Firefox".
Get a grip.
IE9 has more in it than previous versions and it's still free.

danielgr

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
A couple of corrections.
- The menu bar is as much away from IE9 as it was from IE8; simply press "ALT" and it comes and leaves ...
- IE9 beta score on the HTML stuff is 92/300
- IE9 beta score on Java on my machine is 310ms (mind you; more than fast enough); point being made, quoting numbers without saying your testing equipment doesn't mean much.

Status
Not open for further replies.