Microsoft's Kinect SDK 2.0 For Windows PC, Hands On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I wonder if the Kinect 2.0 is racist like the first one in the fact that it had a hard time detecting people of darker skin? I am also wondering if it still has the same issue of not working in sunlight at all?

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
There are still a lot of racist people in America and the World, but saying the Kinect was racist; oh come on now. I am not a dark skin black man, but my grand kids are much darker than I am and have never experienced a problem being recognized by their kinect.What a ridiculous thing to say. As a matter of fact this is a tech site, the word racist should never be used here!!!

alextheblue

Distinguished
I wonder if the Kinect 2.0 is racist like the first one in the fact that it had a hard time detecting people of darker skin? I am also wondering if it still has the same issue of not working in sunlight at all?

You're being dopey, plus you're just plain wrong about issues with skin color. You're probably thinking of things like 2D laptop webcams that had issues with dark skin especially in poor lighting. The original kinect worked fine in almost all conditions and had no problems with dark skin. In fact it used infrared light dots so the only time it would have any issue at all is with very strong direct sunlight which could make it hard to discern those dots and thus could throw off the depth sensor.

Kinect 2.0 is even better in every way and the infrared sensor works perfectly even in pitch black (though obviously the standard camera does not).

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

It was a joke due to the issues they originally had with the first model of the kinect.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Microsoft, give up on the kinect. It would be smarter to add a cheapo microphone to hear commands and a simple image sensor to detect hand genstures.

Do the same, but as two different products with lower quality? Are you serious?

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
For my use, I'd probably be better off with the original Kinekt... at least in the beta version of the Kinekt 2.0 SDK (and drivers) it only supported one unit attached to a machine, and most mocap systems work better with two.

Status
Not open for further replies.