Microsoft's Project Spartan Browser: An Early Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Makes for a perfect way to download an alternative browser, now we don't have to use IE to get chrome, firefox, etc.

you mean super bloated alternative browsers like chrome and firefox. You know ones, where you only have two extensions but yet still uses over 400MB of memory.

Yup.. those ones right?

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Did they just take a step back?

I remember the race for the browser to take up the least amount of pixels at the top of the screen. Now it looks like it put on some weight.

All I want is for them to bring back the (feeds) button next to (home and favourites). I hate digging down into Pressing ALT -> Tools-> Feed discovery when previous IE had the feed button right there next to favourites.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I played with it yesterday. It was nice, looks somewhat like Chrome.

@ Elmo

"ou mean super bloated alternative browsers like chrome and firefox. You know ones, where you only have two extensions but yet still uses over 400MB of memory."---------Really?

Dude the fact that MS is looking for a replacement to IE should tell you something. They are launching a new browser and i hope it's great. Get W10 tech preview and you can use it too.

BrunoGaret

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Makes for a perfect way to download an alternative browser, now we don't have to use IE to get chrome, firefox, etc.
FireFox is OK, but Chrome? Really?

"U got moar of dem memory sticks?"

WJames

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm... The author doesn't note the configuration of the test system used in benchmarking the various browsers. I just ran the Peacekeeper benchmark on my laptop with IE11 and scored a 3459, and that included two video streaming tests that were skipped because those Codecs aren't supported/installed by IE11 (not sure how that factors into the score).

If benchmarks are included in an article, please provide details about the test system. As it stands now, I don't have faith in the accuracy of those benchmarks - especially since I scored a 3459 with IE11 on a laptop!

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

memory usage is a great part of what makes a browser. Especially when you work on stripped down machines that barely have any resources. Next thing you will say is that it is not about speed either.

As an example, surface pro 2, with nothing running besides windows and 4 tabs open in chrome, you get a physical memory low event in windows. Surface pro 2 has 4GB of memory. I don't want to even get into firfoxe and how that browser handles memory.

How about computers at work that still run on 2GB of memory. Your upcoming argument of, time to upgrade is irrelevant as there are old system still being used today providing you with services you use every single day. Which I have plenty of examples of.

At least Microsoft is doing something to make a browser better. You don't just use IE to download an alternative browser. Such a minimalistic view.

Kadathan

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

"A new tab? How about a whole seperate instance that looks like a new tab? That's what you wanted, right? What's a resource, I don't care about that thing."

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I wish there was a browser that used as little menu bar area as possible. One line should be enough and small icons for the rest like a magnifier that when you click turns 3/4 of the menu area into a search field and disappears when you are done, and a settings icon, that rolls out the settings tabs, and a pages open icon that rolls out your open pages and lets you keep your most common task and icons maybe 5 or so available at all times. All in one row. No extra subrows.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Microsoft next move should be to acquire Avira and use it as their free AV software included in Win10. Rip all the adverts and pop ups out of it and it's good to go. It would round out the new windows fairly nicely. Oh and updating the driver updater to be something hardware makers could access and update so all your driver updates are automatic and up to date would be a huge selling point.

alextheblue

Distinguished

"A new tab? How about a whole seperate instance that looks like a new tab? That's what you wanted, right? What's a resource, I don't care about that thing."

Pringles new flavor, Random Access Memory. Bet you can't eat just one chip.

blackbeard34

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Not to long ago someone told me bout this firefox clone - Waterfox? rofl, lol - this still looks like ie. You can put perfume on a pig but; lets be honest its still a pig. lol

nirdes

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2013

memory usage is a great part of what makes a browser. Especially when you work on stripped down machines that barely have any resources. Next thing you will say is that it is not about speed either.

As an example, surface pro 2, with nothing running besides windows and 4 tabs open in chrome, you get a physical memory low event in windows. Surface pro 2 has 4GB of memory. I don't want to even get into firfoxe and how that browser handles memory.

How about computers at work that still run on 2GB of memory. Your upcoming argument of, time to upgrade is irrelevant as there are old system still being used today providing you with services you use every single day. Which I have plenty of examples of.

At least Microsoft is doing something to make a browser better. You don't just use IE to download an alternative browser. Such a minimalistic view.
I agree memory usage is a crucial point. But the guy makes a valid point about better experience. People have reasons more than memory usage for using a particular internet browser, like its speed (alright this is virtually same across all major browsers) and features. You don't use a browser just because of low memory requirement unless it is the only browser your machine can run.
You make a good point about work computers (or phones/ultraportables for that matter) where upgrade is a problem. But if I had a low memory device at my home, I'd rather add RAM for not so huge sum to run the browser of my choice than be stuck with one I don't want to use. I feel this is logical since internet browsing is one of the most important reasons people use computers.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I notes recently that Chrome is heading up fastest browsers, which I thought was impressive.
Until I read the article about security and Chrome ranked absolute bottom with them highest number of vulnerabilities.

Yeah.

Think i'll stand that extra 3 milliseconds to load a page so I don't get infected.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

you mean super bloated alternative browsers like chrome and firefox. You know ones, where you only have two extensions but yet still uses over 400MB of memory.

Yup.. those ones right?

You're not lying. I'm using chrome and I have 4 tabs open, I have toms plugin, google, voice, abp and google hangouts installed and right now chrome is using about 640mb across several threads according to task manager. It doesn't matter as I have 16 gigs, but it is a very fat browser

TNT27

Distinguished

The reason for security problems, is because thats what them hackers are targeting. It is one of the most used browser out there, some sources say they have 50% market, others say about 1/3 of market.

usdoc1

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
This one already got a lot of negative comments. When one can buy a similar browser of Chinese origin for about $49.00, who in the right mind would pay three times the amount? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Nothing new here.

Status
Not open for further replies.