News Microsoft's redesign of the Windows 11's Weather app shoves in yet more ads

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
It is so dis-tasteful. At least the (mentioned) OFGB utility can (for now) turn off all of the ads already present in this adware operating system:

1: File Explorer ads
2: Lock screen ads
3: Settings screen ads
4: General tips ads
5: "Finish setup" ads
6: Windows Experience ads
7: Start Menu ads
8 Now: - Weather app ads

Has any enterprising journalist figured out who Microsoft sells user data to?

Among the users "someone" is clicking the ads. Microsoft forces Windows Accounts - so they know who the users are who are clicking. By definition, adware collects data. Who are the buyers?

Amazon? Newegg? Who are the buyers that Microsoft sells user data to?

Last edited:

Rabohinf

Prominent
May 4, 2023
I use ShutUp10 and Sophia Script for Windows to control most objectionable behavior from Windows and Microsoft. The only store app I use is MyRadar ad free. Everything else is removed and replaced by third party software, FOSS if possible.

WinSetView
Open Shell
0Patch
Shell Folder Fix
WinAero Tweaker
Ultimate Windows Tweaker

vijosef

Proper
Feb 26, 2024
Remember: If you can't uninstall an app on a certain operating system, some antivirus software lets you quarantine the executable to prevent it from running.

1*Yod12J7P7HXfdxqKo4uHBg.jpeg

People already stick to XP still and they honestly dont think ppl are gonna boycott "upgrading" (its a user experience downgrade) and just take the risk of not getting updates...or go further out of spite & learn how to use linux (or even more scornful switch to an apple device assuming games/apps keep getting more support on arm)
Should be laws about how if you pay for WIndows & they show ads you can take em to court...ads for someone pirating the os? sure they are not paying thus arent customer but the product, however if a person pays for it then they are the customer not the product....

Jul 4, 2023
Lol.... glad I don't peruse the Win OS regularly (looking at ads) when I can use a separate browser to do the same!🤭

However, wake me up when Win 11 restores taskbar movement functionality (NOT Icons on the taskbar.... the taskbar itself) to the left, right and top of the screen, not just the bottom! I'm a left-aligned person myself, and will not upgrade from Win 10 to 11 unless/until MS restores this basic function.... 🤔

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I believe there is a tool called startallback out there that corrects that particular Windows 11 flaw. My brother is also one of those that likes a vertical task bar.

I think in Windows 11 itself you can reghack the task bar to the top, but not the sides.

danny009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2019
Adware, spyware, rootkits. That is what Microsoft do these days. I'm a former Microsoft fanboy since 2000s, never thought I say I miss Bill Gates at this point.

it's not a surprise. the weather app is one of the few additions to windows since win7 that the public in general likes. since it's one of the add on features no one seems to turn off it was just a matter of time before it became a vehicle for microsoft to shovel more ads into your face.

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Microsoft is starting to tick me off lately with all this absurdity. I was at my parents a couple of days ago, and during a boring patch I opened up the Solitaire and Casual Games thingy on their Windows 10 PC. I was utterly startled when random property ads popped up at one side of the screen.

I don't use that thing at home, so I was unaware even something as seemingly innocent as that was subject to unwarranted marketing. Ads don't work on me, and they never have. I would kill to have a simple toggle to universally disable the stupid things.

DavidLejdar

Notable
Sep 11, 2022
That app in particular is like an add-on though, that can be uninstalled (and replaced with an app of your choice, such as...). Not excusing it. Just saying, that it arguably could fall under the "free to use" stuff.

As for them ads in particular, everyone wants to sell me AC today, apparently, both in the app and here:

5C4D33m.png

And I am like: "But what if I have a low income? Wouldn't it make more sense, to offer me a (better paid) job first? And what about that supposed targetted advertising anyhow? Like, here I am, listing the specifics of my rig, for every crawler-bot to read. And yet, no one trying to convince me, that it is time e.g. for a new GPU?"

Not saying that I would be glad about ads everywhere. Just saying, that I have seen better marketing.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
Lol.... glad I don't peruse the Win OS regularly (looking at ads) when I can use a separate browser to do the same!🤭

However, wake me up when Win 11 restores taskbar movement functionality (NOT Icons on the taskbar.... the taskbar itself) to the left, right and top of the screen, not just the bottom! I'm a left-aligned person myself, and will not upgrade from Win 10 to 11 unless/until MS restores this basic function.... 🤔
I use ExplorePatcher for that purpose. It's rather stupid that you need a 3rd party application to restore the taskbar features you've used for years.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've always wondered why some targeted advertising agencies don't examine products from a one-time/irregular purchase mindset.

They get the data that says you purchased something, and rather than sell you related items, they try to sell you that same product or similar ones. Every time I buy a GPU through Amazon or Newegg, what do I see in all my side bar ads? More GPUs to buy. When they should be marketing things like fans, or gaming accessories and peripherals.

And some of the stuff I have randomly bought still show up in ads years later. I bought a wiring receptable once and a cover plate. I still see ads for other commercial/household receptacles and that specific cover plate every six weeks at least.

I've always wondered why some targeted advertising agencies don't examine products from a one-time/irregular purchase mindset.

They get the data that says you purchased something, and rather than sell you related items, they try to sell you that same product or similar ones. Every time I buy a GPU through Amazon or Newegg, what do I see in all my side bar ads? More GPUs to buy. When they should be marketing things like fans, or gaming accessories and peripherals.

And some of the stuff I have randomly bought still show up in ads years later. I bought a wiring receptable once and a cover plate. I still see ads for other commercial/household receptacles and that specific cover plate every six weeks at least.
Digital ads are a very weird "product" that is sold. Half of the ads are for clickbait, which in turn sell ad space for clickbait based on clicks. I think the actual value of this "data" they sell and the value of a click is mostly fictional.

It's like the market for collectibles that's not based on the usability of these items, but merely the speculative value to others who want to collect and sell collectibles. Except that nobody actually wants ads, even to look at on a shelf.

I think companies have overly commercialized the Internet to no actual benefit. Like why does every app have ads for things that you'll uninstall immediately when you realize it's not the app shown in ads?

Strange circles of companies paying each other for useless services

Microsoft seems to be committed to devaluing their product.

It's like the NBA. It now sells celebrities and highlights, not basketball that's fun to watch. Nobody values their own product or brand anymore.

I guess that means I'll be personally moving to a lot of unbranded stuff over the next decade. I'm just not interested in paying a bunch for low quality products or work.

Jul 2, 2024
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft?useskin=vector
Revenue: Increase US$211.9 billion (2023)
Operating income: Increase US$88.5 billion (2023)
Net income: Increase US$73.4 billion (2023)
Total assets: Increase US$411.9 billion (2023)
Total equity: Increase US$206.2 billion (2023)

Market capitalization of Microsoft (MSFT)
Market cap: $3.399 Trillion

For all those who complain about Microsoft or other rich people, here are some easily verifiable facts, if you know how to read and search:

We live in a single, global system: the capitalist one.
The only, the only value of this system is money. What do the consequences of obtaining it matter?
After lying, the greatest mental illness among humans is greed.

Sharing for humans is not natural. It's better to keep everything to yourself, too bad for others.
At the moment, it can be said that the largest global corporation is the United States of America.
Where everything is “private”. The rich get all the services (health, education, etc.) and unimaginable products for free, and it is the people who pay for everything, and double or more. He pays taxes which only serve to pay for the expenses of the rich, he pays for health insurance, etc., finally when he has the financial means.

And that Microsoft adds advertising, sells people's data, etc. is completely normal. There are still more than ten billion cameras, and we are not talking about drones, satellites, etc.
And, marketing obliges, because it is very sales, of “AI” which will enrich the rich even more. As if that were possible, their wealth is so beyond comprehension.

Since humans have existed, they have loved to worship the “strongest”, today the richest, the capitalist will exist as long as there are humans. And so, the rich will officially own the territories. For the moment, it is only unofficial.
Try to imagine your life where you will never lack anything, health, education, food, housing, etc.
And that your children, too, will live in this “paradise” that is the capitalist. You are one God of this planet...

So yes, to advertisements from Microsoft and others. This is good for tax havens, which are already drowning in the wealth of the rich (around 3% of the population – 240 million humans).

OK, again in the sandbox. Indeed, all media belong to the… rich.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
People, please. Turn off widgets. Please.

No need to use 3rd party tools. Windows 11 lets you do it.

Again Tom's publishes a clickbait article about ads in Win 11, and again i'm in some weirdo minority of people who do not have any ads. Haven't had any since the day i installed Windows and disabled the widgets. I did that precisely because i didn't want stupid "news" that are basically ads. The whole thing is infested with garbage ads.

Turn it off?

"While the staple Windows 11 app for removing built-in ads has yet to be updated for these in particular, most of Windows 11's ads, including the infamous Start Menu ads, can already be disabled with the appropriately-named "Oh F*ck Go Back" utility. "

Rubbish.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
As usual, Microsoft is only the latest to jump on this weather bandwagon and also as usual it then goes above and beyond.

At first I was puzzled that everyone wanted to push weather, until I realized that what they really wanted was your location.

Of course tracking your location is an invasion into privacy, but when people want weather, good weather obviously means they need to know where you are...

So since they need your location to improve their service, your location is no longer a privacy concern...

And the next step was "news", which obviously requires knowing everything else one might now about you, because how can you deliver matching news in any other way, right?

And so it goes on with all that other information they gather to resell and improve their bottom line instead.

And any attempt to restrict such data gathering obviously "stifles innovation"...

Probably most innovative business is crime: biggest sticks and carrots in the business.

I really don't understand why people worship disruption and get public support.

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Market capitalization of Microsoft (MSFT)
Market cap: $3.399 Trillion
IMO any company that turns its customers into a product isn't worth 3.39 :poop:s.

Apple user here and VERY fed up with their hardware pricing and software/services quality. But being shoveled ads by MS (and the cat-mouse game with ad blockers) doesn't sound a whole lot better.