News Microsoft's redesign of the Windows 11's Weather app shoves in yet more ads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Silas Sanchez

Proper
Feb 2, 2024
Its not the spyware that gets me, its the broken features and bugs that those evil trolls have not fixed, they break stuff on purpose because thats what horrible people do. Add in the fact that windows is basically a watered down gimmicky tablet os which is about as worthless to me as a bag of sewerage.
Riding out windows 10, and experimenting/finding ways to make linux work. Either way, Windows is no longer windows and its time to move away from it, cant tolerate this disgusting sick corrupted product anymore just on principle.

Reactions: Rabohinf

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
As usual, Microsoft is only the latest to jump on this weather bandwagon and also as usual it then goes above and beyond.

At first I was puzzled that everyone wanted to push weather, until I realized that what they really wanted was your location.

Of course tracking your location is an invasion into privacy, but when people want weather, good weather obviously means they need to know where you are...

So since they need your location to improve their service, your location is no longer a privacy concern...

And the next step was "news", which obviously requires knowing everything else one might now about you, because how can you deliver matching news in any other way, right?

And so it goes on with all that other information they gather to resell and improve their bottom line instead.

And any attempt to restrict such data gathering obviously "stifles innovation"...

Probably most innovative business is crime: biggest sticks and carrots in the business.

I really don't understand why people worship disruption and get public support.
Personalized experience is how they present it. It requires that you hand over a lot of personal information. You can switch off location in Win 11, or you can enable it on a case by case basis.
Sharing personalized information to 3rd parties and 3rd party advertizers can be turned on or off. I think legaly they're required to provide this option but they're free to bury it as deep as possible.

lemongrassgarlic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2018
Microsoft is starting to tick me off lately with all this absurdity. I was at my parents a couple of days ago, and during a boring patch I opened up the Solitaire and Casual Games thingy on their Windows 10 PC. I was utterly startled when random property ads popped up at one side of the screen.

I don't use that thing at home, so I was unaware even something as seemingly innocent as that was subject to unwarranted marketing. Ads don't work on me, and they never have. I would kill to have a simple toggle to universally disable the stupid things.
Remember those games on XP ? You can still use these in W11 , even on a 4k screen. Better layout , no ad's and they react normal to your game moves.