Microsoft's Surface Tablet Gets a Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Woohoo, can't wait, these are going to be great. Been using the Samsung Series 7 with Win8 RP and it has completely replaced my laptop with the mini dock and a BT keyboard/mouse. Really getting used to Metro and while I agree it is a much more fluid experience on the Slate where it comes in to its own, on the desktop with dual monitor is actually pretty darn nice as well when you get used to it, yes it does have a small learning curve.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Nobody gives a crap if OEM are sad. They put this on themselves with their crappy products. I am excited to get a Surface Pro built from MS with quality. OEM keeps aiming to make cheap products and it only hurts them when consumers don't come back.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
16:10 ratio 12" is what I'd like. Will never get a 16:9 or wider tablet. Biggest mistake Toshiba made. Hopefully Microsoft will be smarter.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]16:10 ratio 12" is what I'd like. Will never get a 16:9 or wider tablet. Biggest mistake Toshiba made. Hopefully Microsoft will be smarter.[/citation]

The Surface Pro has a 1920x1080 screen. 16:9

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Nobody gives a crap if OEM are sad. They put this on themselves with their crappy products. I am excited to get a Surface Pro built from MS with quality. OEM keeps aiming to make cheap products and it only hurts them when consumers don't come back.[/citation]

This remains to be seen. Remember the Xbox360? Red ring of death? Is that the quality we are going to see? I hope whoever makes xbox consoles doesn't touch the Surface, otherwise it will be a total catastrophic failure and will bring down the Windows 8 OS along with it.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I have no interest in adopting windows 8 on my desktops/laptops, but I would welcome a windows 8 tablet if it truly is an integrated product. I'd gladly sacrifice the "huge" google play store (though it's mostly filled with junk) if the apps that I DO want to use don't constantly crash or not load on the first attempt. MS could do it right, and I hope they do. Because as of now, the only other alternative for an "integrated" product tablet is an ipad, and I have no interest in an oversized ipod touch with zero functionality, zero multi-tasking, and zero productivity options.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hmmm, this is the one that will have 1366x768 screen, Tegra 3 (same as Nexus 7), few apps, and cost as much as the new iPad or Transformer Infinity.

The thick and heavy dust breathing (yay moving parts) Pro version will come in late January/early February and cost around $1000. Can't wait to use Photoshop on a 10" screen on a crippled ULV processor, it's gonna be awesome!

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]16:10 ratio 12" is what I'd like. Will never get a 16:9 or wider tablet. Biggest mistake Toshiba made. Hopefully Microsoft will be smarter.[/citation]
You'll just have to suck it up. I know it sucks, but that's where everyone are going. I have a X230T and the tablet is almost useless for note taking in portrait mode. It is okay for reading long PDF articles and such, but horrible for the pen experience. Especially because the pen has a hard time with accuracy on the edges.

I have tried Samsung Series 7 Slate, it was a really good experience, except the fail build quality and problems with the backlight problem.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Hmmm, this is the one that will have 1366x768 screen, Tegra 3 (same as Nexus 7), few apps, and cost as much as the new iPad or Transformer Infinity.The thick and heavy dust breathing (yay moving parts) Pro version will come in late January/early February and cost around $1000. Can't wait to use Photoshop on a 10" screen on a crippled ULV processor, it's gonna be awesome![/citation]
Care to try that again with a few facts this time?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]This remains to be seen. Remember the Xbox360? Red ring of death? Is that the quality we are going to see? I hope whoever makes xbox consoles doesn't touch the Surface, otherwise it will be a total catastrophic failure and will bring down the Windows 8 OS along with it.[/citation]
But to be fair, there are a lot of tablet designers and manufacturers with a lot of engineering technical expertise. Most engineering issues are likely already solved given how big the tablet market is at the moment, it just remains to have the OS and applications' code running properly.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]I'd gladly sacrifice the "huge" google play store (though it's mostly filled with junk) if the apps that I DO want to use don't constantly crash or not load on the first attempt[/citation]

Well you can try Windows 8 Release Preview and third party apps available there, like the Wikipedia app that doesn't have a search function, that's pretty innovative, right? Seriously, what apps I've seen either I don't know how to use (bad for something supposed to be simple), or they are really half assed and broken (bad as Microsoft has them as featured apps). It will be some months before quality Metro app development takes off, unless Surface and WP8 are as successful as every other Microsoft mobile device, in which case well... it's never going to take off.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Well you can try Windows 8 Release Preview and third party apps available there, like the Wikipedia app that doesn't have a search function, that's pretty innovative, right? Seriously, what apps I've seen either I don't know how to use (bad for something supposed to be simple), or they are really half assed and broken (bad as Microsoft has them as featured apps). It will be some months before quality Metro app development takes off, unless Surface and WP8 are as successful as every other Microsoft mobile device, in which case well... it's never going to take off.[/citation]
Why would you have a wikipedia app? what the hell is wrong with the wikipedia website? Apps on a small screen like a phone make sense, they are formatted to be more easily used on a 4" screen (or less). On a 10" screen you can just use the website and there should be no issues.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Why would you have a wikipedia app? what the hell is wrong with the wikipedia website?[/citation]

There's nothing wrong with the Wikipedia website, but the Wikipedia Metro app is one of the featured apps that Microsoft is showing off on Metro. The fact that it's half-assed and broken neatly illustrates the current state of Metro app development, which teh_chem was talking about. And Metro on mobile devices is not exactly a brand new thing, it's been like 16 months since WP7 was released.

If you buy a Surface RT, you're looking at several months of having to put up with a small number of crappy apps on your rapidly depreciating shiny new hardware, without any guarantees that it's going to get better.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I see someone's very trigger happy on here with the thumbs down. I moved two comments back up to 0 from there. Someone's parents need to filter more properly ;)

Anyway I'm hoping that the quality of the internals is up to snuff. I also agree with the above comment about the iPad but you can read e-books on it at least. I don't own one because I see it more as a toy as well.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I don't care about the overpriced glorified smartphone Surface RT. Given the restrictions and closed features, it's like an iPad with live tiles and screen splitting.

Call me back when the Surface pro rolls out.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]daship[/nom]Wait til Microsoft takes a page out of Aplles book and declares Windows 8 can't run on non Microsoft labeled hardware.[/citation]

Lately they've been copying Apple at a lot of things (own retail stores, app store, walled garden, personal audio player, tablet, forcing design choices on users, style over substance), so it wouldn't surprise me if they did this in the long run. They realized that having 15-20% of rabid fanboys and fleecing them (a la Apple) will make them a lot more money than what they've been doing so far.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Well you can try Windows 8 Release Preview and third party apps available there, like the Wikipedia app that doesn't have a search function, that's pretty innovative, right? Seriously, what apps I've seen either I don't know how to use (bad for something supposed to be simple), or they are really half assed and broken (bad as Microsoft has them as featured apps). It will be some months before quality Metro app development takes off, unless Surface and WP8 are as successful as every other Microsoft mobile device, in which case well... it's never going to take off.[/citation]
Hmm...never needed the wiki app on my current phone or tablet, so whatever it does or does not have, I doubt I'd care. Moreover, I won't use one app's properties to make a blanket judgement about all apps. I'd be more concerned about email, calendar, browser, various "productivity" apps and the like, and how they work on the tablets (don't care much about desktops).

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I don't really care about Metro App store. I care more about the x86 version and it's ability to run Steam. And even more so, Skyrim on my slate. Then all the other stuff I like to do ... run xampp locally, work on my php stuff, etc. Also to use a bluetooth real kb and mouse.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]This remains to be seen. Remember the Xbox360? Red ring of death? Is that the quality we are going to see? I hope whoever makes xbox consoles doesn't touch the Surface, otherwise it will be a total catastrophic failure and will bring down the Windows 8 OS along with it.[/citation]

Foxconn makes the 360s.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Surface Pro is the only thing that interests me, I want my x86 backwards compatability[/citation]

It's unfortunate that it will be expensive. It's the first tablet that is truly multitask capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.