Microsoft's Surface Tablet Listed for $1003 After Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidABear

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Highly doubt it will be that expensive. Microsoft would never be dumb enough to think a $1000+ tablet would be competitive with the iPad 3 and Androids that are half the price. Thinking that a $1000 starting point is reasonable would almost be as stupid as removing the start menu from Windows 8.

Oh wait...

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Yeah, I'm not so sure how much validity should be given to a rumored price from some retailer in Sweden. I highly doubt they would be anywhere close to the first people to get these to sell to know now how much MSFT will be selling it for. I also would note that a direct conversion currency-to-currency may not be applicable since I believe that taxes and whatnot are included in listed prices in Europe. But, if MSFT is planning on pricing Surface anywhere near this high, they're making a huge mistake.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]KidABear[/nom]Highly doubt it will be that expensive. Microsoft would never be dumb enough to think a $1000+ tablet would be competitive with the iPad 3 and Androids that are half the price. Thinking that a $1000 starting point is reasonable would almost be as stupid as removing the start menu from Windows 8.Oh wait...[/citation]

if you buy into the whole post pc crap, a 1000$ tablet that is basically a laptop without a keyboard, isn't unreasonable.

apple sells a tablet for screwing around on for what, 600 or is it 700$, for the base unit,
looking at it that way, its like you are paying 300$ more for a full computer functionality, minus the (high graphics) gaming side.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
The Surface Tablet is going to fail for the same reason all the other Windows tablets have failed. They are too expensive.

I have been watching the under $100.00 Android tablets. They are not there yet, but some people are giving them good reviews. They are getting a lot more good reviews now than they did even 6 months ago. In another 6 months, maybe someone will be making one that will get even more good reviews than the current crop. If so, then who will pay $1000.00 for the Surface?

G

Swedish tech prices are roughly 10 times the dollar amount but in kronors due to 25%VAT, so it would probably be more like $699.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
People keep trying to spin this as a laptop replacement. But the specs would indicate a Netbook with limited storage and a crappy keyboard.
How much ultrabook would $1,000 buy?

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]if you buy into the whole post pc crap, a 1000$ tablet that is basically a laptop without a keyboard, isn't unreasonable. apple sells a tablet for screwing around on for what, 600 or is it 700$, for the base unit,looking at it that way, its like you are paying 300$ more for a full computer functionality, minus the (high graphics) gaming side.[/citation]

The base unit is $499, or $399 for the iPad 2. iOS may not be your cup of tea, and that's fine. But it isn't as expensive as you have posted is all.

G

Old news is old. And false as well.

"Paul Paliath from Techie Buzz - He has a statement from Webhallen that the prices are incorrect and merely placeholder for future orders. :-

“Our customers are very interested in pre-ordering these products, so we have set a high preliminary pricing for the line-up so that they may be able to pre-order them.

Just to clarify, we have not received any pricing from Microsoft regarding MRSP or purchasing net cost, and any people who have booked the Surface at this high price will of course have their order adjusted before any product is shipped. So we’re not going to overcharge anyone for being an early adopter.”

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]It will buy this. http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD223LL/A[/citation]

And that is using an Ivy Bridge processor not an ARM processor that is going to be incompatible with most current x86 based software. With Windows 7/8 installed you can run everything on the PC side for the most part.

You can alternatively find a non Apple Ultrabook for about the same price with again a processor that will run all your current software.

I hope for MS this is a price difference caused by the conversion and higher price conversion - They will have a hard time competing with the iPad's ecosystem otherwise.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I'll wait for the official price.

Take into consideration this may be a high priced pre-order (like iPhone, iPad unofficial pre-orders that mark up the price so you can be 'first in line').

Then again, it could be spot on - and Microsoft's plan could be to compete with similar Apple offerings. Considering that the x86 surface is more or less a touch ultrabook or a high end x86 tablet with built in keyboard.

I'm willing to keep an open mind to this product, same as I've kept an open mind to offers from other manufacturers. I'd suggest other people keep an open mind too (AMD vs nVidia, Apple vs MS, Acer vs ASUS, etc.). I don't think it does anyone any good to write things off before they hit retail and wait for reviews from Anandtech, Tomshardware, X-bit, etc. rather than "Well, I've seen 'X' feature in pictures, and I'm on the internet a lot and can say that it's crap. I know how to google stuff, so I'm pretty much an expert on all things tech."

Though at $1000 it's definitely not what I'm looking for. At $800-$850, I could see buying one and using it for work and light home use.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]if you buy into the whole post pc crap, a 1000$ tablet that is basically a laptop without a keyboard, isn't unreasonable.[/citation]

The problem is that it's neither a good laptop replacement nor a good tablet.

It sucks as a laptop because it only has a 10" display and no real keyboard. It's a glorified netbook for 3-4 times the price of a netbook.

It sucks as a tablet because it's
- Heavy (40% heavier than a regular 10" tablet. That's a big issue for a handheld device)
- Only 5-6 hours of web surfing before battery runs flat (based on 11" ultrabooks with same specs. 42Wh battery according to MS), when ARM based tablets give you 10 hours of battery life watching movies.
- More than twice price of a regular tablet.

You pay all that money to get a bad tablet that's only advantage is being able to run desktop software on a 10" touchscreen. Not a good deal!

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Too expensive, too thick and too heavy for a tablet.
As a fully functional Windows computer, I don't see many people dropping like $600 for Photoshop or Illustrator to use it on a 10" screen and a crippled ULV processor.
Microsoft didn't want to brag about battery life, so that's probably not going to be great either. I guess we'll find out in five months or so.

With the Surface Pro, Microsoft is making the same mistake they made with the original Tablet PC. A tablet is not a PC, not many people want it to be a PC, which is proven by the commercial failure of every tablet/laptop hybrid and the success of iPad and similar dumbed down devices.

As for Surface RT, it'll have 1366x768, relatively few apps, Tegra 3 (which Nexus 7 has), and it'll be as expensive as the new iPad and most expensive Android tablets.

But if Microsoft can make most PC users buy tablet apps in their app store, then they'll do fine.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Considering that this price is for the X86-based tablet with an IB CPU, it's not surprising that it costs ~$1000. Current SB-based tablets that run Win7 are $1000+.

What I'm really interested in is the ARM-based tablets. Isn't it clear that uber CPU processing power is an over-valued property when discussing tablets?

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
The iPad 4 will cost $2400... This is the information that I know is wrong already, but I am going to wright a story and publish it on a popular website so people can freak out over how overpriced $2400 for the next tablet will be. Even though it is known to be an inaccuracy it helps fuel the hate.

This story is posted in the news section, and there is no truth to the price points. As has been stated already the price info was just a random ass guess, a very high one at that. How is someones uninformed guess news??

-CB

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]cbfelterbush[/nom] Even though it is known to be an inaccuracy it helps fuel the hate.[/citation]

It's a guesstimate but a pretty credible one. Look at the prices of Ultrabooks with similar specs. Add 1080p on a smaller screen (higher PPI), add touchscreen, add non-standard design, and you're looking at a price around $1000 at least. Microsoft clearly doesn't intend to compete on price, even apps in the Windows store start at 50% higher than apps on iOS. That's because they're basically done with the PC, they want what Apple has - a walled garden and a core of die hard fanboys (you know who you are) with lots of disposable income.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
This is crap. LOL! For that much I can buy myself an Ultrabook, Macbook pro, or high end gaming laptop. Better yet, two ASUS TF700s with docking keyboards.

G

When APPLE looks like the better value, you have serious issues.

G

There is 25% vat in Sweden so the price for the RT would be around 800USD which is still completely ridicules and will for sure be the end of Windows 8 RT. Microsoft needs to subsidize the RT version so that it becomes 15-20% cheaper than an Ipad if they want any kind of chance.

aft_lizard01

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
[citation][nom]martin12345[/nom]There is 25% vat in Sweden so the price for the RT would be around 800USD which is still completely ridicules and will for sure be the end of Windows 8 RT. Microsoft needs to subsidize the RT version so that it becomes 15-20% cheaper than an Ipad if they want any kind of chance.[/citation]
THe price is a placemarker. The website that Toms so lazily uses even has a quote saying as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.