Microsoft's Windows 8 Commercials for Asia Are Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Neat ads, but have very little to do with the actual OS. Heck, really, nothing to do with them. Not unlike the North American Surface adds which showed a bunch of people dancing around and left people wondering what the ad was about...

Can't say I'm a fan. Again, neat ads, but what about the product they are attempting to advertise?

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This is relatively standard affair for commercials for all sort of products in Japan. Most of the time you barely have the slightest clue what they're trying to sell. That's been more of a newer trend in the US with the likes of the Old Spice commercials.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Its all subliminal. People tend to remember comedy and by making funny commercials people will remember Windows 8. Get out of my head marketing dept!!!

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I agree with the comments posted. There is nothing in the ads related to using Windows 8, except for the woman slamming her head into the keyboard, which I've done several times in frustration while trying to use Windows 8 on a PC instead of a tablet.

halcyon

Splendid

Remember, they have to account for the lowest common denominator for the region they're marketing towards. That's why Asian commercials can require more intellect to understand than commercials aimed at north American audiences.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
These ads were posted on the Verge yesterday.
What other options to "sell" Windows 8 could Microsoft do? There is NOTHING new in Windows 8 and touch devices are old news. Now if Windows 8 devices had a camera capable of face scanning and/or monitoring body motion and facial expressions and a really good voice recognition system, and a quality GPS, physic API, much finer resolutions touch sensitivity, a user interface that can be easily adapted to how process my work flow (rather than being dictated to me), and a million other "innovative" ideas that didn't happen. What I see is a device that's 3+ years late to the party and brings NOTHING NEW to the table.
Watching the ad definitely does NOT remind me it's Windows 8. I did a quick inter-office test and had 5 co-workers watch the ad ... 5 hours later I asked them what was the ad about. Not a single one of them remembered it was about Windows 8.
The ads are well done, but fail as a marketing tool for Windows 8.

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I agree with the comments posted. There is nothing in the ads related to using Windows 8, except for the woman slamming her head into the keyboard, which I've done several times in frustration while trying to use Windows 8 on a PC instead of a tablet.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
These ads were posted on the Verge yesterday.
What other options to "sell" Windows 8 could Microsoft do? There is NOTHING new in Windows 8 and touch devices are old news. Now if Windows 8 devices had a camera capable of face scanning and/or monitoring body motion and facial expressions and a really good voice recognition system, and a quality GPS, physic API, much finer resolutions touch sensitivity, a user interface that can be easily adapted to how process my work flow (rather than being dictated to me), and a million other "innovative" ideas that didn't happen. What I see is a device that's 3+ years late to the party and brings NOTHING NEW to the table.
Watching the ad definitely does NOT remind me it's Windows 8. I did a quick inter-office test and had 5 co-workers watch the ad ... 5 hours later I asked them what was the ad about. Not a single one of them remembered it was about Windows 8.
The ads are well done, but fail as a marketing tool for Windows 8.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
That's cause they don't want people to see what Windows 8 is really like. The surface adds where stupid, dancing around a table has nothing to do with windows 8 or surface tablet. They should have an add showing old people trying to use Windows 8, than people would see what Windows 8 is really like.

G

If by "reinvent the desktop space" you mean kill the PC as we know it, force users over to portable devices with touch interface, and switch to a closed subscription based business model then yeah, with Windows 8 Microsoft is attempting exactly that.

G

These are very entertaining but where is the product in these ads? How can people translate what Windows 8 is by watching these ads? This is a clear case of Microsoft avoiding showing Windows 8 and trying to convince the product is good by visual entertainment. I wish them luck, but eventually people will have to deal with the actual product and not a funny commercial.

Asok Smith

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Wow! I was immediately seized by an urge to go out and buy a - what was it again? oh yeah, a Window 8 touch something or other. No, wait! I was mistaken. It was a watermelon I wanted to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS