microstuttering at 120Hz-60FPS Radeon R9 290 - (VSync problems?)

Stonework

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hello guys,

I don't really expect a solution to this problem but why shouldn't I try, right?
I'm experiencing microstuttering in games when the framerate is locked to 60FPS but the screen operates at 120Hz.

Normally I would just switch to a lower refresh rate in-game but that option does not always exist. Turning off Vsync might not make the framerate skyrocket due to a cap but it introduces variably severe tearing which is unbearable to me.

Normally 60FPS@120Hz+VSync would just make every image appear twice (2:2:2:2) but that doesn't work all to well...

I've seen some other people (AMD & NVidia) complaining about the same thing but nothing that's strictly the same. I did extensive research across the internet but maybe I overlook something.

System specifications:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 4.0GHz
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC 1000MHz
RAM: 8GB Dual Channel G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3-1600 CL7
Mainboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5
PSU: Be Quiet Straight Power E9 CM 680W
Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo
Monitor: BenQ XL2720Z
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possibility 1 - fluctuating clockspeeds:

I originally assumed that but the problem still persisted after forcing a constant clockspeeds in MSI Afterburner

Possibility 2 - Driver issues:

I tried numerous drivers (used radeon cleanup beforehand)
+Happens with latest stable Crimson 15.12.2
+Happens with latest Catalyst 15,7
+Happens with original Catalyst 14.4 (newest driver at build date in July 2014)

Possibility 3 - Windows and low level Hardware operations:
+Setting up an entirely new Windows Installation does not make a difference
+Tweaking several settings like energy saving features did not make a difference - performance wise.

Possibility 4 - Thermals and/or power consumption too high:

It is not a Power consumption Problem:
+The Card is powered by TWO seperate 12V-22A rails
+Stuttering Occurs during 2D rendering aswell
+Neither GPU-Z (as well as other tools) nor an actual Power meter show high Power consumption (stutter due to Peaks unlikely, as mentioned it happens in 2D rendering too)

Possibility 5 - Software Tweaks (Radeon Settings/CCC, RTSS, In-Game)

+Using AMD's, RTSS' and RadeonPro's Frame limiters did not bring sufficient results
+Overriding VSync on a driver level lessens the amount of microstutter but doesn't eliminate it.

Additional Information:

I highly supect that VSync for 120Hz-60FPS isn't up to speed or there's a bug in that very operation condition as any other setting seems to work properly. The Outcome is that the monitor shows something like a 2:2:3:2:2 pattern.

I would kindly ask you to not give answers and links directing me into buying an NVidia GPU as I've seen NVidia Users complaining about the very same problem. It's also neither helpful nor a solution.

Software like TestUFO which simulates 60FPS on a 120FPS Output works perfectly fine.

As a quick workaround I wrote myself a little script that opens the particular Software, polls every 5 seconds if the process is running and changes the refresh rate to 60Hz if true, if the process is not running anymore revert to 120 Hz. But this can't be the solution as I'd have to do this for every single game.

I cannot permanently set 60Hz in Windows because I like the smoother UI and I do play games at 120FPS.

Is it somehow possible to use custom resolutions in Radeon settings with game profiles?

If there's anything you want to know that wasn't described above or if you've got any ideas please feel free to just ask. Please excuse minor typos as this is a bigger post after all...

Is there a reason you need 60 FPS in game? As a 120hz user myself, tearing becomes almost unseen without v-sync, but only if your FPS are not locked at a target that divides evenly into your refresh rate. That means 60 FPS locked at 120hz is bad, but 67 FPS at 120hz is near perfect. The reason is that at 60 FPS, the tear doesn't move, or moves slowly, but at 67 FPS the location of the tear moves enough, and is refreshed fast enough, I don't see it.

Did you read my post? I know you hate tearing, but tearing is not seen by most people if you play at 70 FPS, instead of 60 while using a high refresh rate monitor. You could try some other target FPS while you are at it.

Another things to try is 85hz with V-sync.

Stonework

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

The problem are games that are capped to a certain framerate (e.g. 60 or 30 FPS) which in most cases do not offer an option to change the display refresh rate in game. This condition then forces me to play it at my normally set 120Hz mode but with lower framerate than 120.

-> Using VSync causes the microstutters
-> Disabling it causes terribly well visible tearing. At 120Hz there are more opportunities for it to happen.

My most prominent example is video game console emulation, modern 2D titles as well as older games.