Question microstutters and crashes after new motherboard and cpu

Jul 3, 2022
i just upgraded my motherboard and cpu and whenever I play csgo I keep getting microstutters and var spikes while even though I have around 500-600fps. Also when I launch rust my memory in task manager spikes too like 90% and I crash. before I could run rust like normal but with less fps. think about upgrading my ram to 32gb but i dont know what more to do.

specs: rtx 3070
rm650 650w corsair
ryzen 7 5800x
g skill trident z ddr 4 3200MHz 16gb
b550 f asus strix
intel SSD 660p 1tb m.2

kanewolf

Titan
i just upgraded my motherboard and cpu and whenever I play csgo I keep getting microstutters and var spikes while even though I have around 500-600fps. Also when I launch rust my memory in task manager spikes too like 90% and I crash. before I could run rust like normal but with less fps. think about upgrading my ram to 32gb but i dont know what more to do.

specs: rtx 3070
rm650 650w corsair
ryzen 7 5800x
g skill trident z ddr 4 3200MHz 16gb
b550 f asus strix
intel SSD 660p 1tb m.2
Did you do a clean OS install with the new motherboard or are you trying to reuse your previous install ?

is this necessary?
It is all to easy to ask for a clean install whenever there is a problem.

I would try to find out what the issue is first.
Reading about, I see many issues about ram usage with RUST.
I suspect that is part of your issue.
High ram usage will perhaps cause high page rates.
Look in task manager/resource monitor.memory tab/ at the hard fault page rate.
If it is more than zero, you have found your problem.
A hard fault in a game delays processing until it is resolved.
those delays would cause stuttering.
The solution likely involves some sort of a rust setting.
Adding ram may only delay the onset.

He's changed platform, therefore an operating system reinstall is pretty much necessary otherwise a load of crud from the previous system will remain, potentially causing issues like this.

You can search forever in a day for whatever is causing the problem, when Windows is reinstalled within half an hour negating the need to hunt around trying to find the issue. End of the day, if changing motherboards then the sensible thing to do is back up your data and to reinstall Windows.

It is all to easy to ask for a clean install, but not in this case.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
is this necessary?

Yes. You've changed motherboards. A lot of 'knowledgeable' people will come along and say "Windows is good at sorting itself out nowadays". Sure, that can happen sometimes. But sometimes it doesn't and you are having problems now already.

It isn't good at sorting itself out every time. Clean install unless you enjoy endless troubleshooting, in which case crack on and even if you sort this issue, something else further down the road is more than likely going to crop up and necessitate the clean install.

Jul 3, 2022

Reading about, I see many issues about ram usage with RUST.
I suspect that is part of your issue.
High ram usage will perhaps cause high page rates.
Look in task manager/resource monitor.memory tab/ at the hard fault page rate.
If it is more than zero, you have found your problem.
A hard fault in a game delays processing until it is resolved.
those delays would cause stuttering.
The solution likely involves some sort of a rust setting.
Adding ram may only delay the onset.
unknown.png

this is when i run rust i dont know much about computers and i cant do a clean os install like the guide since my usb drive is only 1gb

Jul 3, 2022
Yes. You've changed motherboards. A lot of 'knowledgeable' people will come along and say "Windows is good at sorting itself out nowadays". Sure, that can happen sometimes. But sometimes it doesn't and you are having problems now already.

It isn't good at sorting itself out every time. Clean install unless you enjoy endless troubleshooting, in which case crack on and even if you sort this issue, something else further down the road is more than likely going to crop up and necessitate the clean install.
could i reinstall windows from settings and choose keep my files instead since i dont have a big enough usb drive for the other method?

Reinstalling windows is not going to fix a problem with rust.
Hard page faults to the tune of 11 per second is bad.
If your ssd is over 90 full, it will be particularly bad.
Hard faults are a nasty problem.
It is windows stealing from one app to feed another.
In a single thread process, a single hard fault stops the process dead until it can be resolved.
That may involve finding a least used page, writing it out to the page file, and reading in the correct replacement.
Interminable on a HDD, much better on a ssd.

The only solution is more ram, but if there is a memory leak in an app, no amount of ram will ever be enough.

Best to consult the RUST forums for a solution, I am no expert on that.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022
Hard page faults to the tune of 11 per second is bad.
If your ssd is over 90 full, it will be particularly bad.
Hard faults are a nasty problem.
It is windows stealing from one app to feed another.
In a single thread process, a single hard fault stops the process dead until it can be resolved.
That may involve finding a least used page, writing it out to the page file, and reading in the correct replacement.
Interminable on a HDD, much better on a ssd.

The only solution is more ram, but if there is a memory leak in an app, no amount of ram will ever be enough.

Best to consult the RUST forums for a solution, I am no expert on that.
ill buy a bigger usb and do a clean install and buy more ram if that dont work ill maybe call someone to look at it

If the new motherboard drivers have been installed, the old ones are still there, but are not used.
I have changed motherboards many times with success by reinstalling drivers.
Admittedly, these changes were from Intel to Intel and not mixed.

I'm not saying it can't work, it does in some cases. But seen far too many cases of 'Windows just sorting itself out' and the install being a bag of crap. In a lot of cases, Windows has not just sorted itself out.

Troubleshooting a new motherboard system that has a Windows build from a previous motherboard seems a futile exercise to me.

could i reinstall windows from settings and choose keep my files instead since i dont have a big enough usb drive for the other method?

What you've just said there shows that are not backing up your data sufficiently. Do as you said in your next post, ensure you have a big enough external source to back up to. Only then do a clean install, your other suggestion keeping your files is merely a refresh and will retain a lot of the old crap from the original build.

Doing it this way means:

You now have a backup of your data. If you value your data in any shape or form, you'll back it up. Might also be worth looking into Google cloud or something of that nature alongside your local data backup, doesn't cost much but then you have a local and cloud backup.

You can rule out gremlins from a previous system by performing a clean install, meaning far less to troubleshoot.

Just what I'd do, but I'm just some random guy on a forum..

No, but it is going to narrow the problem down to Rust itself if it doesn't resolve the issue, as opposed to troubleshooting a load of duff registry entries, broken 'inactive' drivers, etc.

If we were talking Windows 95 or 98, I'd be of your opinion. But with the speed of today's machines, a Windows install is done pretty quickly. And if all games are on game clients like Steam and the game data is backed up, you can be back up and running in a fraction of the time it used to take. It's always good advice when changing motherboards.

Jul 3, 2022
What you've just said there shows that are not backing up your data sufficiently. Do as you said in your next post, ensure you have a big enough external source to back up to. Only then do a clean install, your other suggestion keeping your files is merely a refresh and will retain a lot of the old crap from the original build.

Doing it this way means:

You now have a backup of your data. If you value your data in any shape or form, you'll back it up. Might also be worth looking into Google cloud or something of that nature alongside your local data backup, doesn't cost much but then you have a local and cloud backup.

You can rule out gremlins from a previous system by performing a clean install, meaning far less to troubleshoot.

Just what I'd do, but I'm just some random guy on a forum..
ok thanks for the help :D

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Jul 3, 2022
No, but it is going to narrow the problem down to Rust itself if it doesn't resolve the issue, as opposed to troubleshooting a load of duff registry entries, broken 'inactive' drivers, etc.

If we were talking Windows 95 or 98, I'd be of your opinion. But with the speed of today's machines, a Windows install is done pretty quickly. And if all games are on game clients like Steam and the game data is backed up, you can be back up and running in a fraction of the time it used to take. It's always good advice when changing motherboards.
hi I've done a clean os installation now and I think my problems with rust are gone but I still get stutters in csgo so it must be somesort of hardware issue now?