Question Microstutters on High-end PC.

Viegaard

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Hi! 3 months ago I bought a what I consider to be a high-end gaming PC with the following specs:

CPU: i9-9900K
GPU: nVidia RTX 2080
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance (PC3200)
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 NVME

Monitor: Asus ROG PG279Q (144 HZ IPS)

Ever since I got the computer I have experienced "Micro Stutters" in games such as CSGO/PUBG/Apex/LoL/Dota2/Eso (The list goes on).
I run around everything is fine - My FPS are off the charts and all the sudden it stutters for the split of a second, and the FPS drops like 10-20 FPS and goes back up (Im not sure the FPS drops everytime cause it happens so fast that its over before I can gaze at the FPS counter).

I have tried the following to solve the issue:

• Reinstall Windows 10 64 Bit and update all drivers such as GPU/SSD/Motherboard drivers (This was not the first thing I did, don't worry)
  • Disable HPET via command prompt.
  • Disable Dynamictick via command prompt.
  • Disable Game Precense Bar Writer via a process that involves changing the name of the .exe file so it doesn't start.
  • Disabled both G-Sync (Normally ON) and Vsync (I normally have it OFF, but I have tried turning it ON).
  • Done a shutdown of tons of services (recommended in a guide online)
  • Done changes to the Ethernet Adapter advanced settings.
  • Disabled / Turned off all the trashy settings Windows 10 comes with including uninstalling Windows apps via PowerShell.
  • I have also tried capping the FPS at 2-3 FPS below the Monitors Refresh Rate to make sure G-Sync is always active.
  • Power Settings - I have tried both Normal, Performance and "Ultra" a mode I had to do something to get out.
Furthermore I have tested my internet connection a 180/20 Mbit cabled connection via Coax (I do not use WIFI and I have also tried turning it off via the Router settings).

When I play games I do not get any Packket Loss / Chokes they are always at 0% - And my ping is anywhere from 8-30.

I am going slightly crazy here since I spent almost 2000 USD on the computer - It runs all the games with the expected FPS and it looks amazing (ingame) - Except for these Micro Stutters that happen anywhere from 2-3 times every 60 seconds to once every 5 minutes depending on the game (I notice them less in MOBA's like LoL/Dota2 and more in FPS games like PUBG/CSGO).

I am on the verge of sending the computer back asking them to do testing - But before I do it I want to ask people here for advice.

Best Regards, Thomas.

Last edited:
It's the Samsung 970 Evo NVME more than likely.Try uninstalling/installing the samsung nvme driver (should be in your programs list). I had to uninstall the driver for my 970 pro to work correctly. Using a i9-9900K + 2080 Ti myself. Make sure you restart after you uninstall or install. If uninstalling reinstall the driver after the reboot from the Samsung Drivers webpage.

I had the same problem. For me it was my hardware was insanely more powerful than the game I was playing on my ultrawide. Everytime your fps exceeds the refresh rate of your monitor gsync disables. This was what caused my stuttering because gsync would be constantly enabling/disabling so I put an fps limiter to 96 because my refresh rate on my ultrawide was 100hz and my issue stopped.

Viegaard

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
It's the Samsung 970 Evo NVME more than likely.Try uninstalling/installing the samsung nvme driver (should be in your programs list). I had to uninstall the driver for my 970 pro to work correctly. Using a i9-9900K + 2080 Ti myself. Make sure you restart after you uninstall or install. If uninstalling reinstall the driver after the reboot from the Samsung Drivers webpage.

Do you mean the Samsung Magician program?

Viegaard

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
I had the same problem. For me it was my hardware was insanely more powerful than the game I was playing on my ultrawide. Everytime your fps exceeds the refresh rate of your monitor gsync disables. This was what caused my stuttering because gsync would be constantly enabling/disabling so I put an fps limiter to 96 because my refresh rate on my ultrawide was 100hz and my issue stopped.

I have just updated the thread. I have tried capping the FPS at 143, 142, 141 and so un when running 144 HZ.

"High Performance should be on no matter what" All this does is make the Nvidia card run at a high clock speed all the time. Preventing the card from cooling down in-between scenes or when idle. Not really a good idea, especially considering it doesn't 'raise' the performance of the card, rather locks it to a high clock speed.

Feb 26, 2019
I have the same problem with a few games, my system is in my signature. I think its nvidia's new Turing architecture, I swapped a buddys Pascal card just to see if it made a difference and of course the games tested ran fine. I even RMA'd my 2080 twice, my motherboard once, and my PSU once. I guess were stuck waiting for drivers? :(

I have the same problem with a few games, my system is in my signature. I think its nvidia's new Turing architecture, I swapped a buddys Pascal card just to see if it made a difference and of course the games tested ran fine. I even RMA'd my 2080 twice, my motherboard once, and my PSU once. I guess were stuck waiting for drivers? :(
I have a RTX 2080 TI, no stuttering in any games. You might want to check to see if you have the latest drivers.