Microstutters with high frame rate?

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Hey everyone, in a lot of games I'm getting micro stutters.

Gtx 1060 6gb
120ssd os
250gb ssd games
90gb remaining
Biostar x370 gtn
Ryzen 1300 @3.6ghz
Evga ddr4 at 2666.
450 sfx psu with node 202

Cpu temp 48-50c
Gpu 60-67c

In games.

I'll run around and my fps will be like 80-90 fps but once I cap it to 60 vsync I'll get a drop to 58 but it's like an actually stutter. If I uncap I don't really see it happening just looks terrible cause my tv is a 60hz but no stutter. Vsync off doesn't help.

I have just steam, nvidia control panel, and maybe geforce experience in background.

Any ideas?

Solution
Try using ddu in safemode. Install it first then boot safemode.

Look at the options to uninstall and boot normally preventing Windows installing generic.

If leftover remnants of amd drivers in the registry or elsewhere is the cause, ddu will clean it up.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Vsync on @ 60hz. If frames dip below 60, monitor hz drops to 30 in the gpu software. If fps is not consistent, you'll see the change taking place often and thus your stutter. Reason for gsync/freesync to make syncing variable so theres not a drastic change.

Fast sync is an option under vsync in NvCP in the drop list. It doesnt behave like vsync, more similar to gsync without the gsync chip in the monitor. Fast sync tells the gpu to keep rendering frames until they are displayed then moves on rather then have the gpu wait if using vsync.

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Okay so what you're saying is even though I'm getting high frames, vsync is the issue on a gpu level. Cause like I said uncapped I get high fps like 90-100.
So I disable vsync in game and force through nvidia CP?
Could geforce experience cause this btw?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Geforce experience can sometimes not optimise a game well, maybe a not so suitable antialising method. Best way is to optimise the game yourself.

Antialising, smaa vs txaa vs fxaa etc, find the setting you feel is smoother rather then GE choose for you.

Other settings can be shadows, texture quality, vegetation and view distance. Can let GE change settings to start off with and modify ingame to suit you.

High frame rates can cause gpu to halt while the monitor catches up. Vsync isnt variable so its either it drops below 60hz or if frames are high you get input lag and other funny stuff.

^edit: sorry i misread, didnt see you were getting consistent high fps

Can force fast sync in Nvidia control panel and turn off in game.

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Okay. Just weird cause on my rx 480 i5 7600k build on the same tv this never happened. Which is why I figured it was a nvidia thing or the r3 1200 sucks.

Let’s back up - what games, specifically, do this?

What is your cpu and gpu utilization when the stutter is occurring (can use OCCT to log this in the background - maybe task manager...).

Is it a clean Windows install?

Have you tried uninstalling Geforce experience?

Using DDU to uninstall the gpu driver?

Was there a different gpu in this system before the 1060?

What do you mean it looked bad when you turned the frame limiter off?

Have you set power profile in windows and the nvidia control panel to max.

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Witcher 3, dishonored 2, and the evil within 2. I know 2 of the 3 games are poorly optimized.

With vysnc
Witcher 3 cpu usage is high 80%+
Gpu is 65%

If I uncap frame rate
Cpu will max a lot but gpu is 99% no frames dropped.

The evil within 2 cpu usage is 70-80% and gpu usage like 50% with or without vsync. Low settings 49fps.
Clock is like 1300mhz
Using prefer petformance nvidia bumps clock to 1870mhz with no change in performance.

Dishonored 2 I uninstalled cause even low settings couldn't hit solid 60.

Clean windows install

Did not uninstall geforce experience

An rx 480 was in system for like 2 days

Used amd uninstall tool and nvidia clean installer.

Looks bad on 60hz tv with the high frames like it's not smooth what so ever. Looks like 40 fps when I'm getting 100.

Windows power at default(I like when clocks drop at idle)

Nvidia prefer performance raised clock but not fps.

Ylands is unplayable but that could be the game. It's in beta.

EDIT: heavenvalley benchmark puts at 99% good performance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try using ddu in safemode. Install it first then boot safemode.

Look at the options to uninstall and boot normally preventing Windows installing generic.

If leftover remnants of amd drivers in the registry or elsewhere is the cause, ddu will clean it up.

Solution