Mid end PC running at low fps

Deputy Turtle

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
I have a had a decent pc for about a year now and it usually runs most games at high to ultra 60 fps no problem. But recently it seems to be degrading, I was playing some fortnite and i realized that i was not getting very high fps so i turned my settings down to medium and its struggling to do 70fps.
Specs:
Intel i5 6600
XFX RX 580
8GB DDR4 Pacific sun
Gigabyte h110-A
1tb Toshiba hd 7200RPM

Solution
Potential starting causes

- Out of date / conflicting drivers - ensure all of your drivers are up to date
- Ensure the storage disks have been cleaned / optimised as far as possible and regularly
- Radeon settings could be capping the performance of your GPU for power management
- Could be background processes hogging hardware resource, check if there are any background processes hogging resources
- Could be virus / malware using hardware resource, run scans as appropriate
- GPU or CPU could potentially be throttling, it only takes one CPU core to bottleneck
- What are your loads whilst in game? GPU and CPU, also temperatures of GPU and CPU?
- Online games can also only perform as well as your internet allows them to, your internet...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Potential starting causes

- Out of date / conflicting drivers - ensure all of your drivers are up to date
- Ensure the storage disks have been cleaned / optimised as far as possible and regularly
- Radeon settings could be capping the performance of your GPU for power management
- Could be background processes hogging hardware resource, check if there are any background processes hogging resources
- Could be virus / malware using hardware resource, run scans as appropriate
- GPU or CPU could potentially be throttling, it only takes one CPU core to bottleneck
- What are your loads whilst in game? GPU and CPU, also temperatures of GPU and CPU?
- Online games can also only perform as well as your internet allows them to, your internet may be limiting performance (online)
- CPU could be capped from power management settings.

Solution