Question Might have knocked 2 capacitors off my motherboard

Jun 14, 2023
Whilst creating my new pc, i had forgotten to remove the pcie brackets. I thought i just had to take them off as you would on any other motherboard, but these were strange. they were adhesed to it instead of screws or any similar type i had seen before, so i checked youtube and similar places. Every video i found removed these brackets whilst the mobo was still in, sop i assumed it was safe. The adhesion was strong so i pushed hard, and it finally popped out. but it was still stuck, now to the motherboard, and it had made a scratch. I could see that it seemed to have gotten two capacitors or fuses, (most likeley capacitors, as it was in the middle of multiple).

i kept building the pc, as i had heard that missing capacitors could both be bad or mundane depending on the ones who disappeared. Motherboard lit up, and the pc worked seemingly fine, so i didn't think more of it. However next time i tried to turn on the computer, it would not turn on and noe the FLBK led was blinking. I found that this could mean bad psu or bad mobo, so im assuming its the mobo. There is no proper datasheet for the board so i don't know the rating of the capacitors which got knocked off were, so i can't exactly do the job myself. I also don't have kapton tape or a hot air gun, so doing it myself is not really a viable option.

I took a picture of the affected area, and was wondering if anyone could see something that i can't as my expertise in smd's is quite lacking.

(Also when i turn on the psu, the rgb lights on the mobo turns on, but neither power or reset switch work. I also tried to short the power switch, but nothing. It turned on for like 2 seconds, when i held the power button and turned on the psu at the same time)
arri_pc_2.jpg

The thin line shows the scratch, and the thicker lines show the capacitors i think i tore.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you verify that there were SMD's where you se the scratch? Breadboard the system and see if you get the system to POST.

Speaking of POST, please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Reactions: lillehavard
D

Deleted member 2947362

That looks almost burned in places, looks like it needs a professional repair, unless you are confident you can repair it?

Looks like the surface mount resistors or fuses are linked to nuvoton controller.

I could see that it seemed to have gotten two capacitors or fuses, (most likeley capacitors, as it was in the middle of multiple).
The missing components are more likely to be resistors, but the good news is the scratches don't look to be cutting through the traces. But being resistors makes it harder to effect a working repair without knowing their correct values.

BTW, I did the same exact thing to my motherboard, involving the same (or similar) Nuvoton monitoring chip circuit, when I was transferring it to a new case. I knew better and should have pulled back the motherboard but still proceeded to attempt removal of the twist-out slot covers anyway.

In my case the board would power on but reported the processor was extremely over-volted; about 2.5V when it should be about 1.3V. I quickly powered it down to assess the situation and decided not to chance it. I didn't want to risk burning up my processor or anything else that might rely on the mis-reported values that monitoring circuit was generating and didn't really like the motherboard anyway as it had so many faults (I'll never buy Asus again) so I got a new one.

As it turns out, the replacement board is much better in most every way so I am happy. In your case finding a tech with resources to determine the values of any missing components in that area may work out cost-wise compared to just buying another board.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023
From what people here have said it seems better to see if any tech companies here can fix it, if not, i'll just have to buy a new board, one of the resistors or capacitors were shattered, and i couldnt find the other one, so replacing them is not easy as i don't know their values, but thansk for all the answers :)