Migrate HDD to SSD on new Drive

revan7

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Hello, I want to reset my Windows, and reinstall it to a new SSD, but I can't use the Reset option of the Settings because it won't let me choose the new drive, I would also prefer not to clone the OS, because I want to reinstall everything in the new drive and resetting the windows without losing my files is the fastest way, can someone help me ?

Solution

Preferable that you move 'other stuff', rather than uninstall applications.
But if you can get the actual used space to 400GB or less, clone it. However you get there...

revan7

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009

Hello !
Thank you for answering, I was afraid of that, at this point I think I could be better off cloning the OS, AFTER resetting it ? Do you think that is feasible ?

USAFRet

Titan

Given other conditions, maybe.

1. Why are you wanting to do this reset? What is the issue?
2. What size is the new SSD?
3. How much total used space is on the current drive?

revan7

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009

Ok this is the context, I have an HDD and I am upgrading to an SSD (500GB) nothing wrong with the HDD, I just want better performance. I want the OS and all of my software ( about 300GB including OS ) on my SSD, and all of my data, ( around 500GB ) on my HDD for storage.

USAFRet

Titan

If there is no issue with the operation of the current OS, then no "reset" is needed.
A simple clone operation from HDD to SSD should work just fine.

1. On your current drive, how much total space is consumed? Including all your 'data'.
2. If more than 400GB, do you have another drive, or borrow one, that you can move some stuff to temporarily?

revan7

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009

800GB Consumed, out of 1TB, if I uninstall everything I should bring it down to about 500GB. And I could move around 100GB to another drive, to make it reach 400GB. But if not is it an issue ?

USAFRet

Titan

Preferable that you move 'other stuff', rather than uninstall applications.
But if you can get the actual used space to 400GB or less, clone it. However you get there...

Exactly like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

Solution

TRENDING THREADS