Migrating from HDD to SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaybey

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
I don't know whats the best place to ask this but as this is a windows 10 thing, I put this here.

I have an old computer with Windows 7SP1 and it IS an original license no cracked or something. I can upgrade it to Windows 10 as it told me a week or two ago. But as my current HDD became way too slow (when it boots I get 10mb/s read/write speed then a couple minutes later I get 20-25mb/s write/read speed and its read speed improves a bit more in time), I want to upgrade to an SSD but I am concerned about a couple things.

My plan is migrating my HDD to SSD (I looked up some tutorials on the web) and upgrading to W10 on SSD. As Microsoft said that we can do a clean install after we upgrade to W10, I'll take the SSD out of my laptop and plug it into my future-desktop computer and do a clean install there.

So My Windows will be transported to a new computer with SSD and my old computer will become Windows-less. At least thats what I'm thinking. Is that true?

If everything goes well up to plugging the SSD to new computer, will my old drivers be a problem before I do the clean install of W10? If yes, what do I need to do to prevent them from being a problem?

What I'm really worried about is will this damage my original Windows license? I really want to be sure because I don't want to lose my license while trying to migrate it to my new computer.

Also, are there other risks that I need to know before doing this?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
So let me get this straight:
1. Starting point - Laptop with current Windows 7
2. Desired endpoint - Desktop with with the free upgrade to WIN 10

Am I correct? If so, I do not believe you can do this, for a couple of reasons:
1. The existing Win 7 on the laptop is almost certainly an OEM license, and as such licensed to that particular device
2. Being OEM, that does not change with the WIn 10 upgrade. That license will also be OEM
3. Even disregarding OEMness, the free upgrade from 7 to 10 is for 'that device' (the laptop)

Moving on to your concept of swapping drives around:
1. If you were to clone the Win 7 to the SSD, you can't put that Win 7 in the Desktop. It won't boot
2. If you were to upgrade the Win 7 to Win 10 (still in the...

USAFRet

Titan
According to current info, the free Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade is for 'that device'. You probably can't use it on a whole new PC, and continue to use the Win 7 on the original PC.

Plus, moving an already installed OS to a whole different system often does not work, no matter what Windows version it may may (7/8/10). It probably won't boot.

Alaybey

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
I think you got me a little wrong. I'll take the whole drive to new computer. It'll become the computers permanent drive. And I said I searched the web, it boots. The only thing Im worried about is will my license be original after migrating.

And I wont continue to use Windows 7 on that old PC. I will COMPLETELY carry the drive to the new one so old computer wont have Windows 7 installed.

USAFRet

Titan

Where is your Win 10 upgrade happening? In the old PC or the new PC?
If it is in the old PC, then moving that drive with installed OS may be problematic. It may well not boot at all.

The licensing is a whole different issue.

Alaybey

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Thats the part Im asking. I can upgrade it on the old PC then do the clean install on the new one. Or I can take the HDD from old to new PC, upgrade it there and do the clean install on the new computers SSD.

I know it may not boot at all but thats why I want to migrate before updating. I mean if I migrate before updating Ill have a Windows10 on a SSD. All I have left to do will be take the solid state drive and do the clean install on the new computer.

USAFRet

Titan
So let me get this straight:
1. Starting point - Laptop with current Windows 7
2. Desired endpoint - Desktop with with the free upgrade to WIN 10

Am I correct? If so, I do not believe you can do this, for a couple of reasons:
1. The existing Win 7 on the laptop is almost certainly an OEM license, and as such licensed to that particular device
2. Being OEM, that does not change with the WIn 10 upgrade. That license will also be OEM
3. Even disregarding OEMness, the free upgrade from 7 to 10 is for 'that device' (the laptop)

Moving on to your concept of swapping drives around:
1. If you were to clone the Win 7 to the SSD, you can't put that Win 7 in the Desktop. It won't boot
2. If you were to upgrade the Win 7 to Win 10 (still in the laptop), and then clone to the SSD, same thing. It would not boot when you put it int he Desktop
3. Moving the drive after the upgrade...I do not believe this will work either. See #3 above.

Even if all of the above were not considerations, you'd end up with a laptop with no OS.

Possible way around this?
Install this on the SSD
When Win 10 releases, apparently we will be able to upgrade to the full release for free. Can this be ported to a whole new PC? Unknown. MS has not said.

Second option: Sell the laptop. Buy a brand new Win 10 license for the desktop

Other options? Wait until after July 29, when more info will be available.

Solution

Alaybey

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Okay... Can you please tell me why it wont even boot on the desktop computer? I think you are trying to say OEM licenses associated with its computer hardware. If thats what you said, how will be the w10 .iso file know that its still for that OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.