Migrating from personal storage HDD to new HDD

ifethereal

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016
I have a 1TB HDD (D drive) to store my personal files, while Windows 10 is on a 250GB SSD (C drive).

I'm thinking of replacing the 1TB HDD with a bigger one by moving everything on D across while keeping the file structure exactly the same.

I've searched a bit and most guides suggest using some disk cloning or migration program. Since I'm not migrating my system drive, I'm thinking it's possible to do something like this:

■ Copy my current files on D onto a portable hard drive while the machine is on
    ■ Format the old HDD so that I can use it for another build if I need (haven't used it for very long)
    ■ Power off the machine
    ■ Swap out the old internal 1TB HDD for the new HDD (without even unplugging SATA cables on the motherboard side — just on the side of the old drive)
    ■ Power on the machine and format the new HDD in Disk Management
    ■ Copy everything across from the portable hard drive

My end goal is for the newly installed drive to still be labelled D so that for all the programs on my SSD it's almost as if nothing ever happened (e.g. "Recently used files" lists work immediately since no file paths have changed).

Is it possible to do this without third party programs or will I mess up some system configuration by doing this?

Solution
There's really a more straightforward and relatively simple process you should consider to achieve your objective so consider this option...

Since you are obviously working with a desktop PC, install your new larger HDD in the machine so that your three drives are installed. I'm assuming, of course, you have a vacant SATA connector on your motherboard for the connection to the new HDD.

Use a disk-cloning program to clone the contents of the 1 TB HDD to the new larger HDD. It's a relatively simple process that thousands of PC users employ every day. You should have little problem using one of these programs. Two of the more popular programs (freebies) are...
EaseUS Todo Backup Free program...
There's really a more straightforward and relatively simple process you should consider to achieve your objective so consider this option...

Since you are obviously working with a desktop PC, install your new larger HDD in the machine so that your three drives are installed. I'm assuming, of course, you have a vacant SATA connector on your motherboard for the connection to the new HDD.

Use a disk-cloning program to clone the contents of the 1 TB HDD to the new larger HDD. It's a relatively simple process that thousands of PC users employ every day. You should have little problem using one of these programs. Two of the more popular programs (freebies) are...
EaseUS Todo Backup Free program
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

Macrium Reflect
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Either one will do the job. Even if for one reason or another the disk-cloning (data migration) process goes awry there's really no permanent damage or negative implications with respect to your "source" drive - the 1 TB HDD. Its data will not be corrupted nor deleted. And no likelihood you will "mess up some system configuration by doing this". Just follow the cautionary advice of USAFRet in NOT formatting or manipulating any data on your 1 TB HDD until you've determined the disk-cloning operation was successful in that the new HDD is a true clone of your 1 TB HDD.

Solution