Migrating to SDD

Zackhario

Honorable
Jul 9, 2015
Hello all, I've recently bought an SDD for my laptop as an upgrade, unfortunately I'm not well-informed of this process and I may need advice. I did research on the process and what not but I am experiencing difficulties finding the right method. Because here's the kicker, I have a laptop. Basically, what would I like to do, is migrate my files and Window licence to SDD from the HDD without reinstalling or going out of my way to buy new licence. The HDD is installed on the laptop, which makes a cloning method impossible. Any suggestions?

And since I have a PC desktop, is it possible to clone the HDD to SDD on there instead? Thank you.

Solution
Yes, that is exactly how I would recommend doing the cloning. Temporarily connect the HDD and SSD to the PC. Use a cloning pgm to clone the HDD to the SSD. After they are cloned, install the SSD into the laptop. Unless your migration software already optimized the SSD, you may want to make these changes yourself afterwards: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html
(You didn't specify which Win you had, so the above is for Win7)

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
you can clone the two drives by adding them to your desktop. Boot the desktop up to its normal drive and have the laptop drives as secondarys.

Install EasyUS Todo Backup Free and run their clone software. Make sure to check the box "optimize for SSD" as that will set the partition offset correctly.

You may have to manually assign drive letters inside computer management.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, that is exactly how I would recommend doing the cloning. Temporarily connect the HDD and SSD to the PC. Use a cloning pgm to clone the HDD to the SSD. After they are cloned, install the SSD into the laptop. Unless your migration software already optimized the SSD, you may want to make these changes yourself afterwards: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html
(You didn't specify which Win you had, so the above is for Win7)

Solution