Migrating Windows 8 installation onto SSD

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I recently migrated my Windows 7 laptop's entire HDD contents to an SSD using Paragon's Migrate OS to SSD 2.0 with great success. I just bought a new ASUS laptop and an SSD, but there is no Windows 8 support yet from this program.

What is the best way of transferring Windows 8 onto an SSD? The laptop, I'm sure, does not come with an install disc, but a backup using multiple DVDs will be made, as is the case with most, if not all, ASUS laptops. It's also not as simple as installing Windows 8, as the laptop has laptop-specific software and drivers (trackpad, "Fn" buttons, etc.) that I'd like to preserve.

I do have a Seagate backup drive. Can I make an image of the HDD and restore it onto the SSD? Will there be any problems in doing this?

chriselee

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I am looking to do the same thing and it appears that the best thing to do (from the various threads) is to use a 3rd party tool like Aomei disk partition assistant home edition (free) or Paragon migrate os to ssd tools ($20).

The problem that I have had is that the Aomei tool doesn't allow migration of the OS from a GPT HDD to the SSD. If your laptop HDD is MBR instead of GPT then you may be ok to use that tool.

Paragon migrate OS to SSD doesn't yet support windows 8.

There are lots of threads which indicate that you can clone the source disk and then install it on the SSD but I have read a lot about the potential pitfalls (UEFI issues, partition sizing issues, improper optimization for the SSD, etc.) Frankly the non-tool option looks like a nightmare to me and even if I had the time I would be worried that there would be some screw-ups unless you are an IT pro.

Hopefully someone will post an idiot proof method.